Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do these lathes look used?

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

And I need a shaper often enough to build one . Shaving keyways
manually on the lathe or mill ain't much fun .
--
Snag

Could you regrind a boring bit into a one-flute angular cutter?

-jsw

Not sure what you mean ... but I have used my small boring bar to
shave a keyway into a bore . Hand stroking ...

--
Snag

I meant these, modified to cut dovetails.
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2682

I was trying to think of how to secure the new Variac carbon brush in
the holder and considered dovetailing it like a gun sight, but the
carbon is only 1/4" thick and my 60 degree cutter is 3/8". I made a
test block, milled a rectangular slot 0.004" smaller than the brush,
chamfered the edges and pressed it in with the milling machine vise.
So far so good.

Back when Enco had retail stores I bought a 1/8" keyway broach that I
used for everything by making the bushings and keys as needed, ie
milling the keys 1/8" wide for the broached hub side and whatever fit
the slot on the shaft side.
http://www.use-enco.com/1/3/keyway-broach

This is what a full set contains:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Key...8-pc-HSS/G9774