Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulics problem

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 15:16:14 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

Interesting CD for twelve bucks, wot?
http://tinyurl.com/lh7p3jm

A practical guide to refrigeration and cooling, learn the skills
using this eight-volume set of 900 pages on CD

YOUR COURSE

Hydraulics Training Course CD
Training Manual 1 - Basic Hydraulics & Hydraulic Plumbing (75
pages)
Chapter 1 - Basic Hydraulics
Chapter 2 - Hydraulic Plumbing

Training Manual 2 - The Hydraulics Manual (173 pages)
Chapter 1 - Hydraulic Basics
Chapter 2 - Hydraulic Systems
Chapter 3 - Pumps
Chapter 4 - Hydraulic Actuators
Chapter 5 - Valves
Chapter 6 - Circuit Diagrams and Troubleshooting
Chapter 7 - Electrical Devices: Troubleshooting and Safety

Training Manual 3 - Basic Hydraulic Systems and Components (65
pages)
Chapter 1 - Hydraulic Reservoirs, Filters, Pumps, Accumulators and
Motors
Chapter 2 - Basic Construction and Operation
Chapter 3 - Hydraulic Pressure-Limiting, Controlling and Sensing
Devices

Training Manual 4 - Fluid Power (190 pages)
Chapter 1 - Introduction to Fluid Power
Chapter 2 - Forces in Liquids
Chapter 3 - Hydraulic Fluids
Chapter 4 - Pumps
Chapter 5 - Fluid Lines and Fittings
Chapter 6 - Valves
Chapter 7 - Sealing Devices and Materials
Chapter 8 - Measurement and Pressure Control Devices
Chapter 9 - Reservoirs, Strainers, Filters and Accumulators
Chapter 10 - Actuators
Chapter 11 - Pneumatics
Chapter 12 - Basic Diagrams and Systems

Training Manual 5 - Design of Hydraulic Steel Structures (49
Pages)
Chapter 1 - Introduction
Chapter 2 - General Considerations
Chapter 3 - Load and Resistance Factor Design
Chapter 4 - Allowable Stress Design
Chapter 5 - Connections and Details

Training Manual 6 - Lubricants and Hydraulic Fluids (196 Pages)
Chapter 1 - Introduction
Chapter 2 - Lubrication Principles
Chapter 3 - Lubricating Oils
Chapter 4 - Hydraulic Fluids
Chapter 5 - Grease
Chapter 6 - Nonfluid Lubrication
Chapter 7 - Lubricant Additives
Chapter 8 - Environmentally Acceptable Lubricants
Chapter 9 - Gears
Chapter 10 - Bearings
Chapter 11 - Lubrication Applications
Chapter 12 - Operation and Maintenance Considerations
Chapter 13 - Lubricant Specifications and Selection

Training Manual 7 - Repairer Hydraulic Systems (78 Pages)
Chapter 1 - Hydraulic Pumps
Chapter 2 - Hydraulic Valves

Training Manual 8 - Strength Design for Reinforced-Concrete
Hydraulic Structures (73 Pages)
Chapter 1 - Introduction.
Chapter 2 -Definition and Forcing Functions of Estuaries.
Chapter 3 - Hydrodynamic Analysis of Estuaries.
Chapter 4 - Sedimentation Analysis of Estuaries.
Chapter 5 - Design Considerations.
Chapter 6 - Environmental Considerations

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 16:14:45 -0500, Ignoramus30183

On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

Way to go, Ig! I give you the clap.
clap, clap, clap

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus30183" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

Thanks, good guy.

Could you leave the server on overnight, since it will take 5 hours to
download 87MB on dialup?

Don't you have neighbors with REAL internet access?

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:34:53 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus30183" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

Thanks, good guy.

Could you leave the server on overnight, since it will take 5 hours to
download 87MB on dialup?
-jsw

It'll likely take 5 hours to get it off of Igor's "server"
regardless!!!

Hmm, I'm halfway through the download and it has been maybe 2 minutes.
My download rate is 2.46mbps.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:16:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:34:53 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus30183" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

Thanks, good guy.

Could you leave the server on overnight, since it will take 5 hours to
download 87MB on dialup?
-jsw

It'll likely take 5 hours to get it off of Igor's "server"
regardless!!!

Hmm, I'm halfway through the download and it has been maybe 2 minutes.
My download rate is 2.46mbps.

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:34:53 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus30183" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Took me 6 minutes out here in the tules with Time-Warner cable.

Thanks Ig!

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus30183" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

Thanks, good guy.

Could you leave the server on overnight, since it will take 5 hours to
download 87MB on dialup?
-jsw

I didn't like dealing with Vickers. If I ever need servo hydraulics
again (not likely), I'll look for Moog.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:37:22 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

It downloaded ok here, although slowly, taking 3 to 4 minutes
to arrive. Directory entry shows 91265098 bytes. Document
displays ok when looking at a dozen pages at the front, half
a dozen at the end, and a few in between. It has one picture
for each page.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"James Waldby" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:37:22 -0400, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It downloaded ok here, although slowly, taking 3 to 4 minutes
to arrive. Directory entry shows 91265098 bytes. Document
displays ok when looking at a dozen pages at the front, half
a dozen at the end, and a few in between. It has one picture
for each page.

--
jiw

Thanks, the download here is 63,369,216 bytes. If I remember I'll try
again late tonight.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:08:43 -0500, Ignoramus30183

On 2014-06-15, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

"Ignoramus30183" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"David Lesher" wrote in message
The Vickers manual is also bookmarked but the link is now
broken.

Look in the Wayback Machine...

The goofy moose tells me they don't give it away on line any more.
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Hyd.../dp/0978802209

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

Thanks, good guy.

Could you leave the server on overnight, since it will take 5 hours to
download 87MB on dialup?
-jsw

It'll likely take 5 hours to get it off of Igor's "server"
regardless!!!

What do you mean. It takes 1.5 minutes from another computer with
goodinternet connection.

It started off TERRIBLY slow, then all of a sudden sped up - took2
minutes of no action, then spit it out in a minute.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

Guys, ths is your problem. Not my problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus15251" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-06-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB,
not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will
open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be
displayed
correctly."

Guys, ths is your problem. Not my problem.

I know, it's been confirmed to open properly. I was too sleepy to
check the modem error count. They recently switched me to a different
copper pair and cut it beyond my house, which reduced the line noise
considerably, but the wires are all the same age.

Do you have a file size of 91,265,098?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

I finally went back to it and started the download, then told FF to
save the file as a PDF, then stopped the download to the browser. It
saved just fine and is working now. It just wouldn't read in the
browser for some reason.

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

I finally went back to it and started the download, then told FF to
save the file as a PDF, then stopped the download to the browser. It
saved just fine and is working now. It just wouldn't read in the
browser for some reason.

The reason is that it is too big.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 20:34:53 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 18:24:25 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[ ... ]

The "good guys" do give it away

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

[ ... ]

It'll likely take 5 hours to get it off of Igor's "server"
regardless!!!

Hmm, I'm halfway through the download and it has been maybe 2 minutes.
My download rate is 2.46mbps.

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

Hmm ... wget is predicting about 8 minutes on a T1 connection.
I'll go play a game while that is downloading to see whether what I get
is readable.

Download time was: 8m 23s

O.K. 292 pages, with all that I (randomly) checked readable, so
the file is not bad at all.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

First try download was 8m 23s with "wget". Displays fine with
"xpdf". Same with Acrobat reader. *But* you need to get the whole file
before it will work. I think that PDF puts some critical information at
the end of the file, so if you don't get it all, you can't view it. 87
MB is the short form, the actual byte count was 91,265,098.

I think that you need to re-try -- and maybe you'll get a better
routing this time.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

I finally went back to it and started the download, then told FF to
save the file as a PDF, then stopped the download to the browser. It
saved just fine and is working now. It just wouldn't read in the
browser for some reason.

The reason is that it is too big.

!@#$%^&*. Why didn't someone post that before now? I've read some
might large files, but didn't know there was a limit in browsers.
Perhaps a note next to the large-file link next time?

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
the man who is an American and nothing else.* We are a
nation, not a hodge-podge of foreign nationalities.* We
are a people, and not a polyglot boarding house.
--Theodore Roosevelt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2014-06-15, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I did. Earthlink dropped out twice last night after downloading
20-30MB. This morning I lost them while browsing, but BasicISP is
fine. However their 4-hour timeout limits downloads to about 65MB.
Neither of them is completely reliable here, nor is the cellular
service.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

UPDATE: The download was a bust. It never finished. I'm trying
again now, but it isn't showing any initial pages yet. I think
there's something wrong with the file, Ig.

When I got up to check at 3AM it had "finished" downloading 65MB, not
the promised 87MB. Neither Foxit 6 in XP nor Adobe X in W7 will open
it, both say it's corrupted. Firefox shows a black screen without
scroll bars and the message "This PDF document might not be displayed
correctly."

I finally went back to it and started the download, then told FF to
save the file as a PDF, then stopped the download to the browser. It
saved just fine and is working now. It just wouldn't read in the
browser for some reason.

The reason is that it is too big.

It depends on how much memory you have.

Ive got 4 gigs..no problem and I had music video playing at the same
time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDlPnExilKc

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 07:26:03 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
I did. Earthlink dropped out twice last night after downloading
20-30MB. This morning I lost them while browsing, but BasicISP is
fine. However their 4-hour timeout limits downloads to about 65MB.
Neither of them is completely reliable here, nor is the cellular
service.

Jim, use wget:

https://www.gnu.org/software/wget/

http://wget.addictivecode.org/Freque...Faq# download

I'm using Linux now but the Windows binaries always worked fine for me.

This will let you download partial files and automatically restart
downloads when the server drops a connection. I tested Iggy's
server/file and it does allow you to stop/restart downloads. Not all
servers are set up that way though.

Try taking the partial download you currently have and while having a
Windows command prompt open in that directory type:

wget -c http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Vicke...ics-Manual.pdf

=== from wgets manual
-c
--continue
Continue getting a partially-downloaded file. This is
useful when you want to finish up a download started by a previous
instance of Wget, or by another program. For instance:

wget -c ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/ls-lR.Z

If there is a file named ls-lR.Z in the current directory,
Wget will assume that it is the first portion of the remote file, and
will ask the server to continue the retrieval from an offset equal to
the length of the local file.

Note that you don't need to specify this option if you just
want the current invocation of Wget to retry downloading a file should
the connection be lost midway through. This is the default behavior.
-c only affects resumption of downloads started prior to this
invocation of Wget, and whose local files are still sitting around.

Without -c, the previous example would just download the
remote file to ls-lR.Z.1, leaving the truncated ls-lR.Z file alone...
===

Trust me, give it a whirl ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-16, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

I finally went back to it and started the download, then told FF to
save the file as a PDF, then stopped the download to the browser. It
saved just fine and is working now. It just wouldn't read in the
browser for some reason.

The reason is that it is too big.

!@#$%^&*. Why didn't someone post that before now? I've read some
might large files, but didn't know there was a limit in browsers.
Perhaps a note next to the large-file link next time?

Too big for whom? It depends on what program you use to view
it, and how much memory your computer has. So that warning would be
useless for some, and likely ignored by others. IIRC, the download site
tells you the size. It is then up to *you* to know whether it is too
big, with *your* computer's memory and such, to view the file.

Today's browsers try to view in a java program in the browser,
instead of downloading it and passing it to a stand-alone program which
only views PDF files.

You can configure most browsers to download and save instead of
attempt to display it -- and you can download a copy of Adobe Acrobat
for most systems to view the file. Download it, save it, and then exit
the memory hog browser and start up Adobe Acrobat (or whatever other PDF
reader you have which is *not* part of a browser.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I need a new computer. I'm up to 2G of RAM, but that's not enough for
Win7 and all the windows I have open on a daily basis. I was running
97% full memory this evening when opening extra tabs in FF for all the
goodies in today's Gizmag email.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-16, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

I finally went back to it and started the download, then told FF to
save the file as a PDF, then stopped the download to the browser. It
saved just fine and is working now. It just wouldn't read in the
browser for some reason.

The reason is that it is too big.

!@#$%^&*. Why didn't someone post that before now? I've read some
might large files, but didn't know there was a limit in browsers.
Perhaps a note next to the large-file link next time?

Too big for whom? It depends on what program you use to view
it, and how much memory your computer has. So that warning would be
useless for some, and likely ignored by others. IIRC, the download site
tells you the size. It is then up to *you* to know whether it is too
big, with *your* computer's memory and such, to view the file.

In the past, Windows has created ramdisk memory to store files larger
than viewable with existing RAM.

Today's browsers try to view in a java program in the browser,
instead of downloading it and passing it to a stand-alone program which
only views PDF files.

I believe I have Acrobat Reader for Firefox, which should have worked,
but it didn't. Must check into that...

You can configure most browsers to download and save instead of
attempt to display it -- and you can download a copy of Adobe Acrobat
for most systems to view the file. Download it, save it, and then exit
the memory hog browser and start up Adobe Acrobat (or whatever other PDF
reader you have which is *not* part of a browser.

I have Acrobat Reader, which successfully opened it after download.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-16, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

There are a number of browser attachable PDF readers beside AR...which
I dont much care for

I use Foxit

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Which is why Im running (and will continue to run) XP Pro.

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I have Acrobat Reader, which successfully opened it after download.

There are a number of browser attachable PDF readers beside AR...which
I dont much care for

I use Foxit

I'll check it out. AR has been giving me "may be farked" messages on
3/4 of the downloads lately, but they have been displaying flawlessly.

P.S: See how easy it is to snip, and include only the relevant info?
It took maybe 3 seconds to do.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need a new computer. I'm up to 2G of RAM, but that's not enough for
Win7 and all the windows I have open on a daily basis. I was running
97% full memory this evening when opening extra tabs in FF for all the
goodies in today's Gizmag email.

Which is why Im running (and will continue to run) XP Pro.

If MS would keep updating it, I'd much prefer to stick with XP, which
I still view as MicroSloth's peak in the Windows world. sigh But
now that they aren't updating, virii are a much larger problem.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need a new computer. I'm up to 2G of RAM, but that's not enough for
Win7 and all the windows I have open on a daily basis. I was running
97% full memory this evening when opening extra tabs in FF for all the
goodies in today's Gizmag email.

Which is why Im running (and will continue to run) XP Pro.

If MS would keep updating it, I'd much prefer to stick with XP, which
I still view as MicroSloth's peak in the Windows world. sigh But
now that they aren't updating, virii are a much larger problem.

If you only stick with MS antivirus programs..Id agree. But a full
40+% of all computers on the planet are currently running XP and every
antivirus writer still provides AND WILL keep providing antivirus
protection for XP.

I run (3) antivirus/malware programs on my puter..and I get regular
updates, at least 3 times a week.

MS trys to make it sound like our asses are out hanging in the
breeze..but nothing could be further from the truth..and wont be for
at least 3-5 yrs at minimum.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

If MS would keep updating it, I'd much prefer to stick with XP,
which
I still view as MicroSloth's peak in the Windows world. sigh But
now that they aren't updating, virii are a much larger problem.

I ran XP without any updates from March 2013 to March 2014 and had no
problems. AVG caught a few things it didn't like.

I make Seagate Disk Wizard backups of C: to DVD-DLs that can be booted
and restored from a read-only DVD drive. A virus would have to hide in
the BIOS or a peripheral to get back in after that, since I don't
network my on-line PC to the others, and the strict restrictions on
the account I browse with make that difficult.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:42:40 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

If MS would keep updating it, I'd much prefer to stick with XP,
which
I still view as MicroSloth's peak in the Windows world. sigh But
now that they aren't updating, virii are a much larger problem.

I ran XP without any updates from March 2013 to March 2014 and had no
problems. AVG caught a few things it didn't like.

I make Seagate Disk Wizard backups of C: to DVD-DLs that can be booted
and restored from a read-only DVD drive. A virus would have to hide in
the BIOS or a peripheral to get back in after that, since I don't
network my on-line PC to the others, and the strict restrictions on
the account I browse with make that difficult.
jsw

I should mention that if you go to the Windows Update pages..ALL...ALL
the XP updates are still there and are freely available.

And in fact..I updated a computer here last week (put a machine
together for the grand daughter) that Id not entered ID or MS code
on..and it updated everything nicely.

So I doubt..though dont know..that all those bootlegged copies are now
possible to be updated

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Correction..it appears that even bootleg copies can now be updated.

Sigh..getting ready to head south.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 07:36:43 -0700

wrote:

[...]

That was MS position when they were supporting XP, especially if
you did not use their anti-virus program.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

I did. Earthlink dropped out twice last night after downloading
20-30MB. This morning I lost them while browsing, but BasicISP is
fine. However their 4-hour timeout limits downloads to about 65MB.
Neither of them is completely reliable here, nor is the cellular
service.

There's a reason rsync and bit torrent exist...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

I did. Earthlink dropped out twice last night after downloading
20-30MB. This morning I lost them while browsing, but BasicISP is
fine. However their 4-hour timeout limits downloads to about 65MB.
Neither of them is completely reliable here, nor is the cellular
service.

There's a reason rsync and bit torrent exist...

Do they work with Windows Update?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

I did. Earthlink dropped out twice last night after downloading
20-30MB. This morning I lost them while browsing, but BasicISP is
fine. However their 4-hour timeout limits downloads to about 65MB.
Neither of them is completely reliable here, nor is the cellular
service.

There's a reason rsync and bit torrent exist...

Do they work with Windows Update?

Jim, I believe that there is software out there that can resume
downloading from the point where it was interrupted, and not from the
beginning.

I know that wget does it with the --continue option.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus20109" wrote in
message ...

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

I did. Earthlink dropped out twice last night after downloading
20-30MB. This morning I lost them while browsing, but BasicISP is
fine. However their 4-hour timeout limits downloads to about 65MB.
Neither of them is completely reliable here, nor is the cellular
service.

There's a reason rsync and bit torrent exist...

Do they work with Windows Update?

Jim, I believe that there is software out there that can resume
downloading from the point where it was interrupted, and not from
the
beginning.

I know that wget does it with the --continue option.

I think the large program and antivirus updates which are my main
concern may have their own different download integrity mechanisms.
I've watched AVG pick up where it left off, as indicated by the
Remaining.. size.

These aren't general-purpose file servers that download to a
selectable folder under my control, and the files don't always have
MD5 hashes to check the download.

It's not just Internet, the TV signal from the station in that area
dropped out a few minutes ago. My system still receives other channels
with the same antenna and amp. This is the outer edge of the Boston
metro area where the big money loses interest in supporting us with
rail service, 4G LTE etc. and TV stations are relaxed and goofy in
contrast to the very professional major-market ones.

Your file was only a test since I've finished adding hydraulics to the
already overloaded garden tractor. I was curious about the variety of
complex hydraulic valves, rotary flow dividers etc but I'm not likely
to see or use them.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 07:20:22 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20109" wrote in
message ...

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

[...]

Out here in the hinterlands..we have no problems downloading Stuff.

Hydraulics Q Pete C. Metalworking 0 July 2nd 09 12:29 AM
Hydraulics Q Pete C. Metalworking 0 July 1st 09 11:42 PM
Another bottlejack/hydraulics Q RogerN Metalworking 0 February 27th 09 05:36 PM
hydraulics ilpavox Metalworking 8 November 5th 05 07:33 AM
New to hydraulics - question 1 of many Murphy Metalworking 6 July 31st 05 07:01 PM