Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default That's it. No more fluorescent bulbs.

I bought some LED PAR replacement bulbs and installed them in the
porch overhang. Instant on! At 19 degrees F. And the light color is
far superior to the old fluorescent bulbs I had in there. And no
mercury. I'm dubious about the 22 year lifespan but if they last 5
years I'll be happy. I have 3 8 foot fixtures in the shop with bad
ballasts. I'm just gonna pitch the damn fixtures and install LEDs. New
ballasts are more expensive and they are a bitch to replace 16 feet
inn the air. Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best. But the LEDs finally look great to me.
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 13:50:15 -0800, mike wrote:

On 12/12/2013 9:47 AM, wrote:
I bought some LED PAR replacement bulbs and installed them in the
porch overhang. Instant on! At 19 degrees F. And the light color is
far superior to the old fluorescent bulbs I had in there. And no
mercury. I'm dubious about the 22 year lifespan but if they last 5
years I'll be happy. I have 3 8 foot fixtures in the shop with bad
ballasts. I'm just gonna pitch the damn fixtures and install LEDs. New
ballasts are more expensive and they are a bitch to replace 16 feet
inn the air. Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best. But the LEDs finally look great to me.
Eric

---

I had a nice chat at a garage sale with a guy who'd just installed LED's
in his garage. They were very nice. But there were a whole lot of them.
He told me the price, but I fainted and can't remember what it was.

One of my clients just relamped their entire factory and warehouse
with LEDs. Replaced 460 watt halide vapour bulbs with 160 watt LEDs -
and it is brighter now than with the ol;d lights - and instant on - no
buzzing - about $460 per unit
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:57:13 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Replaced 460 watt halide vapour bulbs with 160 watt LEDs -
and it is brighter now than with the ol;d lights - and instant on - no
buzzing - about $460 per unit

That's going to be an iffy payback. I have a number of those
metal/halide vapor lights in my high overhead in the barn... they've been
in almost daily service for me for over 18 years... never a replacement
ballast or bulb; And I bought them USED from a parking garage demolition
project in 1995. No telling how long they'd been in service there.

That being the case, they last at LEAST as long as the LEDs claim to, but
mine are only about $30 per lamp. I figger it'll take about two years to
save $430 in power per bulb on a difference of only 300 watts. And
that's if the LED lamps really hold up long enough to pay back. The
vapor lamps are proven, LONG-lasting technology.

Lloyd

The building is 8 years old. They have had several ballast failures
already. Payback should be less than 5 years . Perhaps the30? year old
units you have are higher quality than what was available 8 years
ago???. The light is also brighter, and at the same less harsh
(softer shadows) than the old light - and most of this is factory -
"work space". The LEDs are also a lot easier to reposition.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:47:54 -0800, wrote:

I bought some LED PAR replacement bulbs and installed them in the
porch overhang. Instant on! At 19 degrees F. And the light color is
far superior to the old fluorescent bulbs I had in there. And no

What color temp are they?

mercury. I'm dubious about the 22 year lifespan but if they last 5
years I'll be happy. I have 3 8 foot fixtures in the shop with bad
ballasts. I'm just gonna pitch the damn fixtures and install LEDs. New
ballasts are more expensive and they are a bitch to replace 16 feet
inn the air. Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best.

I've always despised the yellow light from typical incandescents and
preferred the light from 4100k or higher fluors and now LEDs. In
CFLs, I prefer the 5000 to the 6500k. The 6500k seem to have a bluish
tone to them. 4100k is the lowest temp I like in fluor.

But the LEDs finally look great to me.

I buy 5000k to 6500k LEDs and love the whiter color. The ones I'm
experimenting with now in E27 bases use 5050 LED components. The 15W
power supply died a couple months into the test, maybe 120 hours! eBay
got my money back from them. The 20W from another supplier has been
working for about 6 months now. It's the equivalent of a good 100W
incan (23W fluor) but is 6500k color. NICE and white. Chinese
import, cost $12.34.

A little 4W E27 screw-in uses 3W of power and 24 of the 5050 chips.
It works well for reading in an articulated fixture. It cost $2.76.

The little spots I got for the emergency lighting use 3x3 Epistar
drivers. They're MR16 bases and draw 7W, despite being rated 9W. They
downgrade the power to give a longer life, I believe. $2.13 each.

I accidentally bought a dozen E27-based 6W bulbs which use 3528 LED
chips. I didn't pay enough attention so I got -220v- bulbs. They're
about 1/3 the brightness at 120v. I'll sell all twelve of them to any
of the resident Canucks for $30 plus actual shipping. Ping me
offline.

I'm waiting for American mfgrs to come down to a sane price before
buying one. Chrikey, $65-238 PER BULB? Get real! Anything under $50
in the USA right now is a 40 or 60W equivalent and most are 2700k,
very yellow to me. Ick!

I have a few CFLs, dimmables from China, which are lasting 5+ years.
Unfortunately, they're about 3000k and are too yellow for my tastes.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:59:37 -0600, Jon Elson

Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best. But the LEDs finally look great to me.

I built my own LED light a year ago for our laundry room/pantry,
which had a single recessed bulb that poorly lit the room.
I put 10 1 W LEDs on a piece of copper-clad PC board (as a heat sink)
and built a DC-DC converter power supply from a National Semi
reference circuit for one of their chips. it worked VERY well,
and is blazingly bright. It IS a bit harsh-blue, but is fine for
that room. Might not be optimum for the living room or
kitchen, though.

I bought the parts to do a 20-LED string for a tube fluorescent
retrofit, but haven't gotten around to it, yet.

I picked up a 1 meter long string of LEDs in plastic strip from eBay,
including a power supply with 2-prong 120v plug for $7.89 (delivered)
a while back. It uses 3528 LEDs. They work well and are cool and
inexpensive to run. Love 'em.

I'm really sold on LED tech. If the Chinese would get better power
supplies in their products, the Europeans and American's would likely
-never- sell another one of their extremely high-priced products.
At best, some of them are 50x overpriced. It's ridiculous.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:02:20 -0500, "Pete C."

I bought some LED PAR replacement bulbs and installed them in the
porch overhang. Instant on! At 19 degrees F. And the light color is
far superior to the old fluorescent bulbs I had in there. And no
mercury. I'm dubious about the 22 year lifespan but if they last 5
years I'll be happy. I have 3 8 foot fixtures in the shop with bad
ballasts. I'm just gonna pitch the damn fixtures and install LEDs. New
ballasts are more expensive and they are a bitch to replace 16 feet
inn the air. Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best. But the LEDs finally look great to me.
Eric

While I'm a fan of LED lighting for household use now that the
technology has matured in the last year or two, I have not yet seen
anything LED to replace the ubiquitous dual 4' T8 shop light. Certainly
not at a reasonable price given the shop light costs $20 with lamps, so
a LED replacement should be under $100 or so. Those LED street lights
are nice, but way outside a reasonable price range for shoplight
replacement.

Check these out. Maybe you have now!
http://tinyurl.com/lffa779 cool white 12v $ (oops, 60cm/2', but $1.75
I'd build or buy new fixtures & power supplies for that savings.

http://tinyurl.com/lj9hd9s pure white 110v (my color choice) $$
Simple replacement bulb.

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

I don't think these would be as bright as fluors because of the
derating, but they'd be nice, long, bright strips.

My 20W incan replacement bulb is called a corn light, but uses 104 of
the 5050 chips instead of conical plastic coated LEDs.
http://tinyurl.com/lhcgzxw It's brighter than a 100W cool white bulb
or 25W CFL.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Check these out. Maybe you have now!
http://tinyurl.com/lffa779 cool white 12v $ (oops, 60cm/2', but $1.75
I'd build or buy new fixtures & power supplies for that savings.

http://tinyurl.com/lj9hd9s pure white 110v (my color choice) $$
Simple replacement bulb.

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

I don't think these would be as bright as fluors because of the
derating, but they'd be nice, long, bright strips.

My 20W incan replacement bulb is called a corn light, but uses 104 of
the 5050 chips instead of conical plastic coated LEDs.
http://tinyurl.com/lhcgzxw It's brighter than a 100W cool white bulb
or 25W CFL.

Have you seen these 3W LED fixtures? I mounted one form a shelf over
my computer desk to illuminate the keyboard. I think one will fit un
place of the light bulb on my drill press, and I plan on installing a
bunch of them as emergency lighting. Each comes with an AC power
supply, but they will run on DC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110873993773 $4.86 each, free shipping.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:53:45 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

" If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay first
quality prices. If you are willing to settle for oats that have
already been through the horse, they come a little cheaper".

With the Chinese stuff, the oats have already been through the horse
at least once. Failure rate on the chinese LEDs I've purchaced has
been something north of 25% within 6 months.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

That looks promising, I ordered one to test.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Possible not bad if the power company kicked in. I re-lighted my
warehouse and shop and the power company gave me close to 50% back.

I'm now all T5 and T8 lamps.

LED's are geting in the good price ballpark.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:33:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Eek! ****-colored 3000k light. Also, you'll have to isolate those
in the ceiling or they'll suck every ounce of heat out of your house
in four minutes flat.

More money, but it's a more pure art form for the shop. titter
http://tinyurl.com/n3wanz7 Screw a magnet on the back.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Randy333 wrote:

and instant on - no
buzzing - about $460 per unit

Possible not bad if the power company kicked in. I re-lighted my
warehouse and shop and the power company gave me close to 50% back.

I'm now all T5 and T8 lamps.

LED's are geting in the good price ballpark.

There are some good deals on "can light replacements" via electric
utility subsidy around here - different ones subsidized in different
states, but typically $15 or so for a 9-10W unit that replaces the whole
bottom trim ring (if replacing) or is the whole bottom trim ring (if
new.) Nominally 1/2 price of what they go for unsubsidized, and very
nice light output (all into the room, none into the can.)

Instant on, love the cold, both of the versions on subsidy here are also
dimmable (though the LED dimmers spoil the instant-on by 1/2 second or
so) and wet-location rated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
Randy333 wrote:

and instant on - no
buzzing - about $460 per unit

Possible not bad if the power company kicked in. I re-lighted my
warehouse and shop and the power company gave me close to 50% back.

I'm now all T5 and T8 lamps.

LED's are geting in the good price ballpark.

There are some good deals on "can light replacements" via electric
utility subsidy around here - different ones subsidized in different
states, but typically $15 or so for a 9-10W unit that replaces the whole
bottom trim ring (if replacing) or is the whole bottom trim ring (if
new.) Nominally 1/2 price of what they go for unsubsidized, and very
nice light output (all into the room, none into the can.)

Instant on, love the cold, both of the versions on subsidy here are also
dimmable (though the LED dimmers spoil the instant-on by 1/2 second or
so) and wet-location rated.

I just put 13 of those LED can units in a new installation and they are
working beautifully. For new the unit is barely double the cost of the
basic trim ring it negates so it's pretty cheap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 20:41:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I dunno the color temp but I think it's close to 4000k. Anyway, not
yellow and not blue. The blue light is just too hard for me to see by.
For the shop lights I will be a little more selective than for porch
lights. My son and I had the same idea about new fixture placement
though. I'm gonna attach them to the old 8 foot skeletons of the
present fixtures.
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:33:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
[...]

And wire nut 120V to the loose wires? That thing is ~4" long and 2"
diameter.

All I'm after is emergency lighting, and they will not suck out any
heat. I was planning on making a long, thin box to mount them down the
hallway, and some similar mounts for the rest of the house. The heatsink
is almost cold to the touch. It measures less than 6° F rise and has
been on for hours. It is 2" from the back of the flange, to the back of
the heat sink, so it won't take much space.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I first found that saying when I was a QA inspector for a manpack
radio firm. I still love it.

With the Chinese stuff, the oats have already been through the horse
at least once. Failure rate on the chinese LEDs I've purchaced has
been something north of 25% within 6 months.

Luckily, I've had much better luck with Chiwanese electrics. I've had
bad luck with Feit CFLs made here in the States: 80% failure rate
within 3 months. None of the replacements (sent gratis from Feit,
postpaid) died in the first several years, but I still won't purchase
a Feit product again. So far, only one LED power supply has died on
me. Quite a few of the CFL p/ses have died, though.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:08:00 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

That looks promising, I ordered one to test.

I didn't like the 18W figure at all, so let us know how bright they
are. I may go for some of the 2-footers @ $1.75 each.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

That looks promising, I ordered one to test.

I didn't like the 18W figure at all, so let us know how bright they
are. I may go for some of the 2-footers @ $1.75 each.

18W consumption for an LED puts the "incandescent equivalent" at around
50W, so a "fluorescent equivalent" of 32W (same as the T8) or better is
reasonable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 19:09:43 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:33:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
[...]

No, you pull the front bezel out and pop a donut in the hole to rim
the edge, pull your zip cord through that, and wirenut it inside the
can.

All I'm after is emergency lighting, and they will not suck out any
heat. I was planning on making a long, thin box to mount them down the
hallway, and some similar mounts for the rest of the house.

I went with inexpensive pullcord globe lamps. They were $4 each and
$4 delivery for all, so $28 for 6, delivered. Sucha deal! Pull-
switches cost another $4 each and the lamp place cut the holes and
installed them at that price, or I would have done it myself, though
my Whitney/Roper hand punch doesn't have a die that large. They had a
nice little desk-mounted DiAcro punch which worked well. The spots do
brighten the bottom of the globe a bit more, but the diffusion is
great, so it's hardly noticeable. I was pleased. It makes them
better for reading if you sit directly under them, with them mounted
on the ceiling. I mounted one surface-style, but will have to go into
the attic and drill holes/solder wiring for the rest, preferring that
over wire nuts for longevity. That'll probably happen in January, when
handyman work is gone for the season. I'm surprisingly busy right now
for the first time since I started the business.
http://tinyurl.com/lokpctl lamps I wanted point control on lighting
so I opted for the pull switches.

I may try some of the 48-LED panels in those. Have you seen them?
They stay pretty cool, too, and draw 135ma at 12v. I'm really
surprised that nobody has boxes or bezels for them yet. They're not
quite as bright as the 9W spots, but this is emergency lighting, after
all. Dim beats dark by 1000%, and bright draws too much energy.
http://tinyurl.com/lmk9ybx

The heatsink
is almost cold to the touch. It measures less than 6° F rise and has
been on for hours. It is 2" from the back of the flange, to the back of
the heat sink, so it won't take much space.

Nice! The MR-16 style LEDs I bought replace the old halogens and are
2" in diameter, too. Their heatsinks do rise in temp, but won't burn
you in the ranges I have: 3, 4, and 9W. The 9W flashlight I made has
an (so far) open bulb. I need to clean that up to protect it, but it's
sturdy so far. http://tinyurl.com/l75hr6y

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

18W consumption for an LED puts the "incandescent equivalent" at around
50W, so a "fluorescent equivalent" of 32W (same as the T8) or better is
reasonable.

Only for fairly crappy LEDs, IMHO. Of course, there are plenty of crappy
LEDs available for folks that see LED and don't pay attention to lumens,
watts, or lumens per watt. 50 incandescent, 810 lumens is the best I
find on a quick look.

My old-tech (as these things go - it's a few years old) 20W RAB LPAK
puts out ~1400 lumens from 20-22 watts (of course, it's a kinda
expensive exterior fixture.)

8.9 watt more recent and much less-expensive can-lights, 620 lumens

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:33:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
[...]

Just have another of my 3c LED units starting to flash - on it's way
out in less than 4 months ---
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

How many units did he install?

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Im looking to install LED lighting in my sailboats. Any suggestions
for best sources/pricing?

1 meter or longer runs.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

That looks promising, I ordered one to test.

I didn't like the 18W figure at all, so let us know how bright they
are. I may go for some of the 2-footers @ $1.75 each.

18W consumption for an LED puts the "incandescent equivalent" at around
50W, so a "fluorescent equivalent" of 32W (same as the T8) or better is
reasonable.

Like I said, please let me know how it turns out in the real world.
I'm skeptical but hopeful.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm happy with this, but I didn't buy the waterproof style (but did
get a 120v p/s) 1M of 3528 chips for undercabinet use. $7.89 when I
bought them in June w/ free shipping. http://tinyurl.com/kra9yvz
Mine were in a rectangular plastic housing, like a rope light.

Another US vendor which has no housing:
http://tinyurl.com/mxlpv2f $5.99 delivered for a meter of lights.

http://tinyurl.com/ldy6ydt 5M for $13.88, smaller 3528 chips, dimmer
5M of 5050 chips for $19.88, brighter. Free shipping.

10M of 3528s for $15.99, free ship http://tinyurl.com/lmcf6eq

Buy a short length of each to see which brightness you need where,
then buy long strings of them and go crazy.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I dont need any waterproof styles..I just need some that will provide
decent lighting and any heat wont damage the fiberglass they are
attached to. This can be done with Epoxy or a heat gun, right?

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I re-did my 40 ft. sloop with LED strips - epoxy circuit board stock
in about 30 in. lengths with a single row of LED. 12 VDC straight off
the battery bank. I used a couple of little high intensity LED bulbs
that fit a two pin fixture for me and Mother's reading lights. I left
the compass light and the navigation lights as they were because I
couldn't get an LED to fit the binnacle and at that time LED
navigation light bulbs were pretty expensive. Oh yes, and a 12 volt
florescent light over the Head mirror .

The strips were epoxy glued to a strip of hard wood and the hard wood
screwed to the overhead. There was no heat problems whatsoever.

We were living aboard and had an electric fridge and the change to
LED's changed my battery charging schedule from once a day to once in
two days with a pretty old battery bank.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

In a humid enviro like a boat (when on water, not when stored in the
desert), I'd opt for the waterproofing since it's just a few bucks
more. It's just a line of clear RTV.

Some of that tape comes with 3M (real or fake, I don't know, but my
48-LED units had the 3M logo paper on it) adhesive doublesided tape on
the back. AAMOF, those are inexpensive and handy to stick up, too.
http://tinyurl.com/lb93x35

Do people -really- use heat guns to semi-permanently adhere things? It
wouldn't be my first or fifth choice. shrug

I'm a real fan of indirect lighting, so I'd put it on the bottomside
of the cabs you build, etc. Or hide them behind a short wooden bat on
the ceiling/deck.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
$32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)

That looks promising, I ordered one to test.

I didn't like the 18W figure at all, so let us know how bright they
are. I may go for some of the 2-footers @ $1.75 each.

18W consumption for an LED puts the "incandescent equivalent" at around
50W, so a "fluorescent equivalent" of 32W (same as the T8) or better is
reasonable.

Like I said, please let me know how it turns out in the real world.
I'm skeptical but hopeful.

Yep, I should have a report in a couple weeks. Shipping will probably be
a bit slow with the combination of holiday and weather even though it's
not coming that far.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

I accidentally bought a dozen E27-based 6W bulbs which use 3528 LED
chips. I didn't pay enough attention so I got -220v- bulbs. They're
about 1/3 the brightness at 120v. I'll sell all twelve of them to any
of the resident Canucks for $30 plus actual shipping. Ping me
offline.

You could find a surplus transformer with 120 & 240V taps cheap.
Or just run them off 208/240.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Fluorescent bulbs David L. Martel Home Repair 2 July 25th 08 06:04 AM
Fluorescent bulbs desgnr Home Repair 5 September 26th 07 01:15 AM
fluorescent bulbs Michael_S Home Ownership 7 December 22nd 06 04:30 AM
Fluorescent bulbs Bonnie Jean Home Repair 7 August 2nd 05 02:16 PM
Fluorescent 'bulbs'? Terry Home Repair 6 November 15th 03 12:21 PM