Bonnie Jean

Default Fluorescent bulbs

I have a fluorescent bulb in a torchiere in my office. Over time it
seems to get dimmer which I don't like. I feel like buying another one
but that seems like a huge waste of money. Do they normally dim over time?

Bonnie in NJ

Bonnie Jean wrote:

I have a fluorescent bulb in a torchiere in my office. Over time it
seems to get dimmer which I don't like. I feel like buying another one
but that seems like a huge waste of money. Do they normally dim over time?

Bonnie in NJ

Yes.
Talking to a supermarket manager on saturday, he commented that all bulbs in
the stores are replaced every two years and it made a big difference.

Lou

Greetings,

I know they get dimmer but what I don't know is if they become
significantly less efficient. Do they use less energy as they dim,
etc, etc? Does anyone else here know? I don't mind using more dim
florescent bulbs to extend bulb life so long as I am not paying extra
for the energy.

Thanks,
William

Pop

" wrote in
message
ups.com...
Greetings,

I know they get dimmer but what I don't know is if
they become
significantly less efficient. Do they use less
energy as they dim,
etc, etc? Does anyone else here know? I don't mind
using more dim
florescent bulbs to extend bulb life so long as I am
not paying extra
for the energy.

Thanks,
William

This is only logical thinking, not sure knowledge, but,
since a flourescent requires a certain voltage from its
xfmr to burst into light, I'd say all they've done is
lower the required current to stop them from glowing,
in order to allow dimming them. But I'm not sure of
that, so ...
I'm sure Google would turn up plenty of info,
including design infom

HTH
Pop

Beachcomber

This is only logical thinking, not sure knowledge, but,
since a flourescent requires a certain voltage from its
xfmr to burst into light, I'd say all they've done is
lower the required current to stop them from glowing,
in order to allow dimming them. But I'm not sure of
that, so ...
I'm sure Google would turn up plenty of info,
including design infom

Some of the dimming occurs because of mecury staining within the tube,
thus, the UV transmission and conversion to visible light process does
degrade over time. This would affect the efficiency of the tube (less
light per watt = less efficiency). Electrode efficiency over time
also is degraded.

Beachcomber

Pop

#$$%^&*&&&*T$@.... wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:24:59 -0400, "Pop"

wrote:

" wrote in
message
roups.com...
[...]

Yeah, after you struggle thru 300 porn sites linked
from the word
"florescent" you might find something useful. Google
is turning into
nothing but a giant link to porn sites. Type in ANY
word and you'll
get more links to porn sites than anything else.
Google will soon be
a dinosaur.

I suspect you are the vicitim of malware, or are a sour
grape. I never get porn hits on Google when I use it.
Ymmv, but a lot depends on how you structure your
search terms.

HTH
Pop

#$$%^&*&&&*T$@.... wrote:
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:24:59 -0400, "Pop"
wrote:

" wrote in
message
[...]

a) "florescent" refers to flowers (like in a garden). I believe you
meant "fluorescent" -- I am not nitpicking on spelling but it might
improve your search results
b) Google has advanced search options where you can turn on or off
adult site filtering. I am sure the filter doesn't catch them all but
you might enable it if it is off.
c) I personally don't find the number of adult sites returned by Google
significantly interferes with my searching.
d) The stock market does not indicate that Google will soon be a
dinosaur.
f) If you just hate Google there is somebody who loves you
http://members.microsoft.com/careers/default.mspx

Hope this helps,
William

HTH