Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default That's it. No more fluorescent bulbs.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:47:54 -0800
wrote:

I bought some LED PAR replacement bulbs and installed them in the
porch overhang. Instant on! At 19 degrees F. And the light color is
far superior to the old fluorescent bulbs I had in there. And no
mercury. I'm dubious about the 22 year lifespan but if they last 5
years I'll be happy.

snip

I think what will determine how long they last will be their power
supply. The LED's maybe be just fine yet but if the power supply craps
out...

Has anyone here taken one of the power supply's apart for these yet?

The cheapo, under-counter LED I bought a while back uses a 12v wall wart
to feed it. The all-in-one bulb I got has a pregnant area in between
the base and bulb. From the heft of it there must be some interesting
stuff inside. I'm thinking that power line/supply spikes, lightning
strikes close by, overheating... are all going to shorten their life
spans (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b