Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default That's it. No more fluorescent bulbs.

I bought some LED PAR replacement bulbs and installed them in the
porch overhang. Instant on! At 19 degrees F. And the light color is
far superior to the old fluorescent bulbs I had in there. And no
mercury. I'm dubious about the 22 year lifespan but if they last 5
years I'll be happy. I have 3 8 foot fixtures in the shop with bad
ballasts. I'm just gonna pitch the damn fixtures and install LEDs. New
ballasts are more expensive and they are a bitch to replace 16 feet
inn the air. Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best. But the LEDs finally look great to me.
Eric

---