Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default That's it. No more fluorescent bulbs.

wrote:

Just as much work to install new fixtures for new style
bulbs. So I'll just put in LEDs and be done with it. I have never
been happy with other than incandescent lighting, the color of the
light has always been best. But the LEDs finally look great to me.

I built my own LED light a year ago for our laundry room/pantry,
which had a single recessed bulb that poorly lit the room.
I put 10 1 W LEDs on a piece of copper-clad PC board (as a heat sink)
and built a DC-DC converter power supply from a National Semi
reference circuit for one of their chips. it worked VERY well,
and is blazingly bright. It IS a bit harsh-blue, but is fine for
that room. Might not be optimum for the living room or
kitchen, though.

I bought the parts to do a 20-LED string for a tube fluorescent
retrofit, but haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Jon