Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default That's it. No more fluorescent bulbs.

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:33:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? Check these out. Maybe you have now!
?? http://tinyurl.com/lffa779 cool white 12v $ (oops, 60cm/2', but $1.75
?? I'd build or buy new fixtures ? power supplies for that savings.
??
?? http://tinyurl.com/lj9hd9s pure white 110v (my color choice) $$
?? Simple replacement bulb.
??
?? http://tinyurl.com/lky5ozr choose color 110v $$$ but under your limit
?? AHA! 4-footers, love their warning about "ballets" US seller.
?? These would be direct replacement after bypassing the ballast.
?? $32 ($25 apiece in case lot of 100)
??
?? I don't think these would be as bright as fluors because of the
?? derating, but they'd be nice, long, bright strips.
??
?? My 20W incan replacement bulb is called a corn light, but uses 104 of
?? the 5050 chips instead of conical plastic coated LEDs.
?? http://tinyurl.com/lhcgzxw It's brighter than a 100W cool white bulb
?? or 25W CFL.
?
?
? Have you seen these 3W LED fixtures? I mounted one form a shelf over
?my computer desk to illuminate the keyboard. I think one will fit un
?place of the light bulb on my drill press, and I plan on installing a
?bunch of them as emergency lighting. Each comes with an AC power
?supply, but they will run on DC.
?
??http://www.ebay.com/itm/110873993773? $4.86 each, free shipping.

Eek! ****-colored 3000k light. Also, you'll have to isolate those
in the ceiling or they'll suck every ounce of heat out of your house
in four minutes flat.

More money, but it's a more pure art form for the shop. ?titter?
http://tinyurl.com/n3wanz7 Screw a magnet on the back.

And wire nut 120V to the loose wires? That thing is ~4" long and 2"
diameter.

All I'm after is emergency lighting, and they will not suck out any
heat. I was planning on making a long, thin box to mount them down the
hallway, and some similar mounts for the rest of the house. The heatsink
is almost cold to the touch. It measures less than 6° F rise and has
been on for hours. It is 2" from the back of the flange, to the back of
the heat sink, so it won't take much space.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.