Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default simplicity of design vs simple designs OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:01:33

But finding a cell phone which is just a telephone, and not a
rinky-dinky "communicator-knock off" which takes pictures, movies,
emails them to your cousin in Bavaria, surfs the web, feeds the cat,
schedules appointments with the Dentist, and tells the world your
GPS
location (but can't complete a phone call if you're moving) - that
is
a bit more difficult.
pyotr filipivich

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/paylo/
Available at Radio Shack.

The prepaid cell plan I'm grandfathered into costs $20 every 90 days,
and unused funds accumulate. It uses Sprint, which has limited 3G
coverage outside urban areas, and no 4G here. Since I use it mainly
for long-distance calls from home that doesn't matter.

I have Virgin's Broadband2Go Internet access whenever I need to
download large program files and updates:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobil...2-go/overview/
The WalMart plan gives a month of access and a 1GB limit for $20.

For completeness, I get HDTV for free with an antenna and record it on
old laptops, one running 7 Media Center and the other AverMedia's TV
program. The little clip-on dipole that comes with the Aver H837 tuner
receives Boston pretty well from 30+ miles away.

These are examples of low-cost solutions that give me maybe 98% of
what I want. Ensuring 100% would cost much more. That's the choice
which enables simplicity of design.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:16:42 +0700 typed

Some times that can be done. [Mom would buy the salesman's demo at
the end of the model year.]

--

Can do, in fact I almost bought a tiny little Nokia like I had years
ago. The secret - buy second hand :-)

I almost bought a "pallet load" (42 new in box) when I was looking
to replace my phone earlier.

But I have to admit that I like a "smart phone" if for no other reason
then I can take pictures of something in a store and I can make notes
to myself. Example - I've got a memo on the phone listing every
battery I use in every piece of equipment. Otherwise I'd never
remember what battery for the electronic scales, the electronic
calipers, the electronic temp. gauge, etc.

I got an Ipod for opening a checking account. ("Why when I was a
boy, they handed out toasters for opening a checking account.") It
has gone from being a gizmo I used to play music, to a gizmo which
plays music, and keeps those lists I need to have.
Now if only I could find a way to type up the list on the
computer using a Real Keyboard, and transfer them.

As for notes - I still find a paper notebook "handier". I can go
straight to writing things down, rather than have to figure out how to
one finger type on the screen. And, with no camera in the ipod or
cell phone, I have to sketch.
To each his own.

I am also thinking of building another computer so I went to the
computer parts shop where they sell all the bits and pieces and have a
six foot long notice board listing everything that they sell and the
prices. Two or three photos and I've got all the component prices to
mull over.

I can see the advantage.

I also play solitare while I'm waiting for the subway train :-)

Hmm, playing games on the commute. Good idea, only I drive.
Probably not a good idea under those circumstances.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:19:56
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
"Jim Wilkins" on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:01:33
But finding a cell phone which is just a telephone, and not a
rinky-dinky "communicator-knock off" which takes pictures, movies,
emails them to your cousin in Bavaria, surfs the web, feeds the cat,
schedules appointments with the Dentist, and tells the world your
GPS location (but can't complete a phone call if you're moving) - that
is a bit more difficult.
pyotr filipivich

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/paylo/
Available at Radio Shack.

I'm using Virgin's "pay-lo" program. I'm "spending" more per
month, OTOH, I have not had to "add more minutes".

It isn't the "plan" so much that I object to, as the hardware. I
know as well as the other guy, that the cost of chips keeps coming
down, the effectiveness of batteries keeps going up, and so "it makes
sense" to the design geeks to add "features". Because they can.

Has anyone else noticed that Cell phones started out the size of a
brick, then steadily shrunk in size, but have recently started to
trend back up in size?

[...]

What is that old machinist bit:
0.0 = $
0.00 = $$
0,000 = $$$$
0.0000 = $$$$$$

Much of what you say is true.
Which brings us back to the original cliche: the system is
complete not when there is nothing left to add, but when here is
nothing left to remove. For those who must have TV/Cable, there is a
downside limit to how much can be removed, or not acquired. And one
would be surprised at how much one can save by deciding to not have
cable/TV at all. Not only is there the savings on the cable bill, but
the aspirin, pepto, and sleeping pills :-) Not to mention the costs
to one's serenity by not having the latest new and improved
schlockmeister2000!
But there are some potential for problems. I am recalling a
cartoon from a long time ago, showing a nude couple in an apparent
post coital cuddle on the couch,caption is "Now do you remember what
we used to do before we got the TV?"

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:00:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

I see the school kids typing with both thumbs :-)

But yes, the notebook is likely to be more comprehensive but on the
other hand it is something I often forget while I probably do remember
to take my phone. Having a list of all the various battery sizes for
all the various battery powered devices I own, on something I'm likely
to bring with me, is a great help :-)

I am also thinking of building another computer so I went to the
computer parts shop where they sell all the bits and pieces and have a
six foot long notice board listing everything that they sell and the
prices. Two or three photos and I've got all the component prices to
mull over.

I can see the advantage.

I also play solitare while I'm waiting for the subway train :-)

Hmm, playing games on the commute. Good idea, only I drive.
Probably not a good idea under those circumstances.

We have both a "sky train" and an "underground train" I no longer
drive in the city.

--
pyotr filipivich

Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So for you guys with smartphones, what all do you use yours for? What
are the benefits of switching from a landline to a cell? I still hate
cell because 90% of all cell calls (in my experience) have voice
dropouts and/or hangups. Old tech, new tech, digital, it's all the
same weak platform. It doesn't seem to matter which carrier they
have, either. AT&T, Sprint, Tmobile, USCellular are all guilty.

VOIP is just as bad lately. RedBeacon is working with Home Depot to
find qualified contractors and the lady called me to sign me up. I
couldn't get half her words (after translating from Flip.) I was just
like cell: Dead air, then she returned in mid sentence with no
possibility for me to parse the missing words. We tried again later
and it was better.

[...]

I figure I've saved over nine grand since I gave up TV about 8 years
ago. That's nothing to sneeze at. I have lots more time to read and
finish some other projects, too. Now, when I walk into an area with a
TV, I'm shocked at how farkin' LAME it all is. I think "Jayzuss, I
used to listen to that crap? Gag me with a spoon, valley girl."

But there are some potential for problems. I am recalling a
cartoon from a long time ago, showing a nude couple in an apparent
post coital cuddle on the couch,caption is "Now do you remember what
we used to do before we got the TV?"

Yeah, that can get expensive if you forget to put the helmet on.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John B. on Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:31:57 +0700 typed
wrote:

[...]

Me three.

But yes, the notebook is likely to be more comprehensive but on the
other hand it is something I often forget

One more reason I wear cargo pants, the notebook 'lives' in the
right pocket.

while I probably do remember
to take my phone. Having a list of all the various battery sizes for
all the various battery powered devices I own, on something I'm likely
to bring with me, is a great help :-)

Good idea. I try to keep the list of "stuff I will need to get
on Super Saturday" near up to date.

I am also thinking of building another computer so I went to the
computer parts shop where they sell all the bits and pieces and have a
six foot long notice board listing everything that they sell and the
prices. Two or three photos and I've got all the component prices to
mull over.

I can see the advantage.

I also play solitare while I'm waiting for the subway train :-)

Hmm, playing games on the commute. Good idea, only I drive.
Probably not a good idea under those circumstances.

We have both a "sky train" and an "underground train" I no longer
drive in the city.

I have to drive to where I can catch the bus to go into town.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Thu, 12 Sep 2013
20:06:18 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

[...]

My housemates had cable, and during one stretch I was home all
day. Even leaving it on the "news" channels, "lieber Gott, how many
times can you say "we have nothing new to report"?"
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:25:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Hell, they never say that. They blither on for days with nothing.

I remember seeing Peter Jennings reporting hours after 9/11 in NYC. He
sat there for over half an hour with absolutely nothing to add to the
tiny bits of data he had been given. They had pre-empted all
programming to put him on with nothing to say. I should have turned
off the set for good right then, but it took me a couple more years.

I do miss the news, but that was only 10% (Max!) of what they had on
at any given time. I still don't miss the total bull**** which fills
23.9 hours of any news day. Hell, they're airing some four year old's
dreams nowadays, not doing even basic checking of their news sources,
etc. And only what the PTBs say even gets on teevee, complete with
their own slant to it. Fuggit! There is no truth in TV any more, so
just turn it off. Walter Cronkite is spinning in his grave.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Fri, 13 Sep 2013
16:26:30 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

[...]

I'm told that they've changed the way that TV is broadcast, so
that the older TVs no longer will pick up the signals. Some day I'll
have to check that out.

Maybe. Some day. When I find a need to do so. After I move into
The Home.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Has anyone else noticed that Cell phones started out the size of a
brick, then steadily shrunk in size, but have recently started to
trend back up in size?

ayup. The public got tired of tiny little cellphones that were
difficult to hold, difficult to see and a general pain in the ass to
use. So they are coming back up to a size that the majority of people
can use comfortably.

And now the Ipad type devices are coming out with fullblown cellphone
abilities...a goodly number..not the majority..but a goodly number of
people are using them as cellphones..with 2way video...which is where
we are ultimately going to go, no matter the size.

I was in MickyDs last night and noticed a woman talking to a "pad" in
a regular conversation. I walked behind her and noticed she was
talking to a video of a gent..and they were indeed communicating. It
was rather fascinating to watch both sides of the conversation for a
few seconds
Her pad had a video camera somewhere on the face of it..so two way
video is the trend. I have an app on my Samsun smartphone that will
do the same, though ive never tried it.

Gunner

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:06:18 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

So for you guys with smartphones, what all do you use yours for? What
are the benefits of switching from a landline to a cell? I still hate
cell because 90% of all cell calls (in my experience) have voice
dropouts and/or hangups. Old tech, new tech, digital, it's all the
same weak platform. It doesn't seem to matter which carrier they
have, either. AT&T, Sprint, Tmobile, USCellular are all guilty.

I have Sprint..and have very very few problems with voice calls, data
connections etc etc. The only issue I have with my smartphone is a
lack of onboard memory. Its only got 4 Gigs of onboard and an 8gig
chip. This particularl phone doesnt like running programs from the
storage chip, my last one did just fine. So I can only run 10-15
programs at the same time..not counting the housekeeping Stuff that
the phone operates with/on.

I have a Sprint Victory smartphone and it works quite nicely for me.

And Ive had cell phones since the early 1990s

Some Areas..are better than others of course. In So California..we
have towers everywhere.

Gunner

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So for you guys with smartphones, what all do you use yours for? What
are the benefits of switching from a landline to a cell? I still hate
cell because 90% of all cell calls (in my experience) have voice
dropouts and/or hangups. Old tech, new tech, digital, it's all the
same weak platform. It doesn't seem to matter which carrier they
have, either. AT&T, Sprint, Tmobile, USCellular are all guilty.

I have Sprint..and have very very few problems with voice calls, data
connections etc etc. The only issue I have with my smartphone is a
lack of onboard memory. Its only got 4 Gigs of onboard and an 8gig
chip. This particularl phone doesnt like running programs from the
storage chip, my last one did just fine. So I can only run 10-15
programs at the same time..not counting the housekeeping Stuff that
the phone operates with/on.

What programs do you run? (Other than games, which I don't partake in
at all.) I'm trying to figure out if a smartphone would
satisfactorily replace my land line, and what the cost differences
are, and what potential benefits would be. Security for lost phones
is another area I haven't really delved into.

I have a Sprint Victory smartphone and it works quite nicely for me.

It seems that most people who like their phones (at least those with
whom I've talked) are using Sprint.

And Ive had cell phones since the early 1990s

Some Areas..are better than others of course. In So California..we
have towers everywhere.

My sister in NorCal is my most frequent cell phone caller. I believe
they have a ton of towers in the San Fran East Bay area, too, but she
cuts out on almost every call, at least for a few seconds. That's why
I still feel that cellular isn't yet ready for prime-time. (I know, a
billion people can't be wrong, huh?

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 14 Sep 2013 21:40:50 -0700
wrote:

[...]

Some of the pads have two cameras, so it is possible to point the
pad at something and say "see what I'm looking at" to the person you
are "video conferencing" with.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I run several reloading and shooting programs. I run Yahoo, Google and
Hotmail. I run several photo programs that allow me to modify photos
Ive taken with the 6mp camera.
I run a Craigslist search program, Ebays app, Facebooks app, several
GPS and travel apps, 2 music players (I keep 3 gigs of music on the
external card), 2 book readers, my Wells Fargo banking app, a Youtube
app, and a number of utility apps, such as machining, WIFI hacking, a
movie app called Chuckle (works nicely when I sleep in my truck) and
so forth and so on.

I have a Sprint Victory smartphone and it works quite nicely for me.

It seems that most people who like their phones (at least those with
whom I've talked) are using Sprint.

There are a number of cross platform phones. My phone is available
with several companies.

And Ive had cell phones since the early 1990s

Some Areas..are better than others of course. In So California..we
have towers everywhere.

My sister in NorCal is my most frequent cell phone caller. I believe
they have a ton of towers in the San Fran East Bay area, too, but she
cuts out on almost every call, at least for a few seconds. That's why
I still feel that cellular isn't yet ready for prime-time. (I know, a
billion people can't be wrong, huh?

Some places are better than others. If I get a fuzzy call or drop
out, hummm 2x a month..Id be surprised.

There are 2 places that I travel that calls WILL disconnect. One is
on the 210 Freeway at La Tuna Canyon..the other is at the off ramp for
Pyramid Lake up on the Grapevine. Those are the only two Ive found.
So I let the caller know whats going to happen before I get there and
we call each other back in less than 1 minute.

And as you know..Im deep in machine shops and factories all over So
Cal. Few if any issues. I do have a couple thin spots between I5 and
Taft, when traveling on 166...but...its a 27 mile, straight as an
arrow road with moderate traffic out in the desert, and no one seems
to ever call me while Im on it.

I will say..that the smart phones do not have an external antenna and
that does reduce their ability to connect in thin areas. Having had a
number of phones with good antennas (Nextel is quite good for
those..but they have merged with Sprint)..I have noticed this. On the
other hand..the reduced range is less than one would think and one
simply takes the good with the less than good.

If you get a smart phone...be sure..do this without fail..to install a
GOOD external case on your phone. Otterbox is good, and there are
literally hundreds of other good ones on Ebay. Walmart and the
discount houses sell them..and always for much less than the carriers
like Sprint sell them for.

Such as this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber...-/290978031941

Buy a couple if you buy one with a belt clip. Ive busted most of the
belt clips on external cases over the years.

Dont waste your time with the poly/rubber cases that are a couple
bucks. They simply dont do much. My current case has an airgap around
the phone and is lined with rubber of some sort, so if/when it falls
on the concrete..it doesnt smash the phone.

The Otterbox Defender cases are damned good, but you will pay up to
$40 for one. I do recommend them, among others.

I also have found little or no need for "display film" used to protect
the screen. That high tech glass...is incredibly tough stuff and will
take a ****load of work just to scratch it. Just make sure that
whatever hard shell case you purchase..keeps the entire phone inset
into the case..so if you drop it on the face..it simply hits the rim
of the case and bounces.

They have been making the cell phones thinner and thinner..and they
are now so ****ing thin that its uncomfortable to hold. Its like
holding a playing card next to your face. So any hard case that adds
some bulk to the phone...for me..is a very good thing.

http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series...efault,pg.html

My favorite case....
http://www.otterbox.com/defender-ser...efault,pg.html

My wife and DIL have that case..and it simply..works.

Gunner

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Dayum, there really _is_ and app for everything now, isn't there?
Doesn't the small screen cause problems for aging eyes like ours?

movie app called Chuckle (works nicely when I sleep in my truck) and
so forth and so on.

Whew! For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you had a
sex surrogacy program with it, too. g

I have a Sprint Victory smartphone and it works quite nicely for me.

It seems that most people who like their phones (at least those with
whom I've talked) are using Sprint.

There are a number of cross platform phones. My phone is available
with several companies.

What's your monthly cost, total, with taxes?

[...]

That you know of. g

I will say..that the smart phones do not have an external antenna and
that does reduce their ability to connect in thin areas. Having had a
number of phones with good antennas (Nextel is quite good for
those..but they have merged with Sprint)..I have noticed this. On the
other hand..the reduced range is less than one would think and one
simply takes the good with the less than good.

Hmm...

[...]

Good tip.

They have been making the cell phones thinner and thinner..and they
are now so ****ing thin that its uncomfortable to hold. Its like
holding a playing card next to your face. So any hard case that adds
some bulk to the phone...for me..is a very good thing.

Yeah, I have a Samsung dumb phone and it's smaller than I'd like but
is as thick as my forefinger. I use it for emergencies. It's a
Tracfone, and upon $99 annual renewal, I get an extra 800 minutes. It
has 2,973 unused minutes now. When I called tosee about transferring
some of my minutes to my neighbor's phone, I found that they'd only
transfer all the minutes, not just 1k or so, and that would unregister
my phone. Bastids.

http://www.otterbox.com/armor-series...efault,pg.html

OMG, 100 ****ing bucks? Get real.

My favorite case....
http://www.otterbox.com/defender-ser...efault,pg.html

Not cheap, either.

My wife and DIL have that case..and it simply..works.

They have expensive phones, expensive cases, expensive calling plans,
and still they can't help with the rent/utilities, etc? sigh

Thanks for all the info, mon.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.
--Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques on Mon, 16 Sep 2013
22:28:02 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:18:20 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 06:49:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Dayum, there really _is_ and app for everything now, isn't there?
Doesn't the small screen cause problems for aging eyes like ours?

Smart phones allow you to blow up or size down by simply stroking the
screen in certain ways and to change the font sizes

Oh, yes, so you can see a very big 1/100th of a normal page. :-/
"How long does it take to read a whole page like that?" he asked, as
he wondered how often something like that might come up.

One word at a time. I find on my iPod, if I take my glasses off,
I can bring the screen into focus, and it is just large enough to be
readable. Of course, it is also about three inches from my nose, but
I have finally find another advantage to extreme nearsightedness.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Dayum, there really _is_ and app for everything now, isn't there?
Doesn't the small screen cause problems for aging eyes like ours?

Smart phones allow you to blow up or size down by simply stroking the
screen in certain ways and to change the font sizes

Oh, yes, so you can see a very big 1/100th of a normal page. :-/
"How long does it take to read a whole page like that?" he asked, as
he wondered how often something like that might come up.

One word at a time. I find on my iPod, if I take my glasses off,
I can bring the screen into focus, and it is just large enough to be
readable. Of course, it is also about three inches from my nose, but
I have finally find another advantage to extreme nearsightedness.
--
pyotr filipivich

Im getting rather far sighted. But ...1.5 diopter reading glasses
from the dollar store seem to work fine for close up stuff. It used to
be 1.25. Next year it will probably be 1.75...then 2.0......

"The socialist movement takes great pains to circulate frequently new labels for its ideally constructed state.
Each worn-out label is replaced by another which raises hopes of an ultimate solution of the insoluble basic
problem of Socialism, until it becomes obvious that nothing has been changed but the name.
The most recent slogan is "State Capitalism."[Fascism] It is not commonly realized that this covers nothing more
than what used to be called Planned Economy and State Socialism, and that State Capitalism, Planned Economy,
and State Socialism diverge only in non-essentials from the "classic" ideal of egalitarian Socialism. - Ludwig von Mises (1922)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:15:56 -0700
[...]

I have a pair of 2.5 cheaters in the tool box. I slip them over
the trifocals to read the little numbers on mics, etc, particularly in
bad lighting. "Just call me 'Six Eyes' ..."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich