Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default simplicity of design vs simple designs OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:25:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Larry Jaques on Thu, 12 Sep 2013
20:06:18 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Much of what you say is true.
Which brings us back to the original cliche: the system is
complete not when there is nothing left to add, but when here is
nothing left to remove. For those who must have TV/Cable, there is a
downside limit to how much can be removed, or not acquired. And one
would be surprised at how much one can save by deciding to not have
cable/TV at all. Not only is there the savings on the cable bill, but
the aspirin, pepto, and sleeping pills :-) Not to mention the costs
to one's serenity by not having the latest new and improved
schlockmeister2000!

I figure I've saved over nine grand since I gave up TV about 8 years
ago. That's nothing to sneeze at. I have lots more time to read and
finish some other projects, too. Now, when I walk into an area with a
TV, I'm shocked at how farkin' LAME it all is. I think "Jayzuss, I
used to listen to that crap? Gag me with a spoon, valley girl."

My housemates had cable, and during one stretch I was home all
day. Even leaving it on the "news" channels, "lieber Gott, how many
times can you say "we have nothing new to report"?"

Hell, they never say that. They blither on for days with nothing.

I remember seeing Peter Jennings reporting hours after 9/11 in NYC. He
sat there for over half an hour with absolutely nothing to add to the
tiny bits of data he had been given. They had pre-empted all
programming to put him on with nothing to say. I should have turned
off the set for good right then, but it took me a couple more years.

I do miss the news, but that was only 10% (Max!) of what they had on
at any given time. I still don't miss the total bull**** which fills
23.9 hours of any news day. Hell, they're airing some four year old's
dreams nowadays, not doing even basic checking of their news sources,
etc. And only what the PTBs say even gets on teevee, complete with
their own slant to it. Fuggit! There is no truth in TV any more, so
just turn it off. Walter Cronkite is spinning in his grave.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen