Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Just sold my Soma Cube! (actual metal content) :-)

I carved this out of some scrap some years ago on the company mill:

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Soma-1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...Soma-parts.jpg

Each of the small cubes is 0.750 +0 -0.005. :-)

It's been sitting on my desk for years - yesterday one of the new guys in
the shop came into my office and expressed some interest in it. I casually
said, "I'm thinking of seeing if I could get anything for it on Ebay."

The guy offered me $20.00, and being out of money until payday, I
immediately said, "SOLD!" so I ate that evening. ;-)

Nothing earth-shattering, but I thought some might be interested to see
it; most importantly, having posted some metal content that I've done with
my own hands (on the shop's end mill), I now feel less like some kind of
intruder. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise fired this volley in
news
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Soma-1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...Soma-parts.jpg

Each of the small cubes is 0.750 +0 -0.005. :-)

Nice, Rich. Peit Hein is one of the heros of my youth.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:10:43 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

I carved this out of some scrap some years ago on the company mill:

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Soma-1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...Soma-parts.jpg

Each of the small cubes is 0.750 +0 -0.005. :-)

snip

Sniff... mine is merely plastic, hollow too. Might even be
able to find it in my room somewhere with a super-duper
power shovel

Your's is way cooler, or maybe should say was. Did you get
any visitation rights?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
[...]

Ah the memories.

I built several of these in Jr. High wood shop.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I carved this out of some scrap some years ago on the company mill:

http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Soma-1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/...Soma-parts.jpg

Each of the small cubes is 0.750 +0 -0.005. :-)

snip

Sniff... mine is merely plastic, hollow too. Might even be
able to find it in my room somewhere with a super-duper
power shovel

Your's is way cooler, or maybe should say was. Did you get
any visitation rights?

I didn't ask, but probably - the guy's a prett friendly guy. The first
thing he did was make an aluminum stand for it like the one that came with
those red and blue plastic ones.

I'll keep my eye out for some scrap and make another, if I ever get a
chance.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You are a very skilled machinst, and a good photographer.
Very well done.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news I carved this out of some scrap some years ago on the
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:36:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You are a very skilled machinst, and a good photographer.
Very well done.

Thanks - I'll try not to dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back.
;-D

BTW, I had a _real_ machinist coaching me - I was _astonished_ how fast
it's possible to hog out aluminum! ;-)

Cheers!
Rich