Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Actual Metalworking content: 'New' 1916 110HP Rotary

Take a look at
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/proje...-engine-detail

if you are tired of reading of politics

**
mike
**
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:
Take a look at
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/proje...-engine-detail

Wow. I wonder why the strange swash plate design
instead of an articulated crank?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 5, 7:54*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Wow. *I wonder why the strange swash plate design
instead of an articulated crank?

I didn't expect that either, thinking it be closer to what the
P&W Master link: but did some googling, that 110HP
used an odd bearing setup.

from http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/rotary.htm
__
Although remarkable, the Le Rhône used a complicated slipper
bearing system. Its master rod had three concentric grooves to
take slipper bearings from all the other cylinders. The master rod
was a split-type to allow assembly of the connecting rods. The
remaining rods carried bronze shoes, shaped to fit in the
grooves, at their inner ends. Counting the master rod as no. 1,
the shoes of no's. 2, 5, and 8 rode in the outer groove, those of
3, 6, and 9 in the middle groove, and 4 and 7 in the innermost one.
__

**
mike
**
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 5, 7:54*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Wow. *I wonder why the strange swash plate design
instead of an articulated crank?

last part of my reply got cut off.

It did use a total loss system of castor oil, drawn in
with the fuel/air mix in the intake manifold. Might have needed
that extra bearing surface, since it wasn't a real pressurized
system

**
mike
**
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:11:31 -0800 (PST), mike
wrote:

On Nov 5, 7:54*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Wow. *I wonder why the strange swash plate design
instead of an articulated crank?

last part of my reply got cut off.

It did use a total loss system of castor oil, drawn in
with the fuel/air mix in the intake manifold. Might have needed
that extra bearing surface, since it wasn't a real pressurized
system

**
mike
**

Whether it was a myth or not, but it was said that all the pilots of
rotary engine powered plains in WW I suffered from diarrhoea from the
exhaust fumes and carried a bottle of brandy while flying for
therapeutic purposes.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
mike wrote:

Take a look at
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/proje...-engine-detail

if you are tired of reading of politics

**
mike
**

IIRC, pilots found making a turn against the torque of all that rotating
mass somewhat interesting.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:11:31 -0800 (PST), the infamous mike
scrawled the following:

On Nov 5, 7:54*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:

Wow. *I wonder why the strange swash plate design
instead of an articulated crank?

last part of my reply got cut off.

It did use a total loss system of castor oil, drawn in
with the fuel/air mix in the intake manifold. Might have needed
that extra bearing surface, since it wasn't a real pressurized
system

Motocross bikes used a castor oil/gas mix. It reminds me of the old
days at the Carlsbad Raceway in LoCal, smelling freshly burned castor
oil from the bikes. At night, it was the freshly burned methanol from
the dragsters and funny cars. Fuelies Forever!

Ah, da smells of me yout!

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 07:53:06 -0400, John Husvar
wrote:

In article
,
mike wrote:

Take a look at
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/proje...-engine-detail

if you are tired of reading of politics

**
mike
**

IIRC, pilots found making a turn against the torque of all that rotating
mass somewhat interesting.

From all I have read the biggest problem was making a "go round" when
close to the ground - a considerable amount of torque reaction.

By the way, the US Navy built a few corsairs with an R-4360, 3500 HP
engine in them and discovered the same thing. Very slow throttle
advancement on the take off roll.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

By the way, the US Navy built a few corsairs with an R-4360, 3500 HP
engine in them and discovered the same thing. Very slow throttle
advancement on the take off roll.

Found a video of a fellow down under that put a Merlin V-12
in a '55 Chevy. Well, put a '55 Chevy body on a massive tube
chassis carrying the engine... Some fellow from the Speed
network got to drive it. Clearing respecting the massive
torque and power, he never really put his foot into it, but
still comments he got the impression the engine wanted to
just roll the car over....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIj2GVfua84

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Whether it was a myth or not, but it was said that all the pilots of
rotary engine powered plains in WW I suffered from diarrhoea from the
exhaust fumes and carried a bottle of brandy while flying for
therapeutic purposes.

I've read a few books on WWI aircraft, the castor and the chits was mentioned, the brandy
I thought was for a good reception if one lived being shot down.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller