Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default what is this thing part of? actual metal content

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

got this from a friend cleaning out extra stuff - I"m trying to figure out
what it's part of - is it related to film loading? I haven't seen anything
quite like it, but there's a lot I havent seen - the case is probably
aluminum, painted gray, the gears are stainless, this is not a cheap item,
whatever it is. Military?

--
Bill
www.wbnoble.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

got this from a friend cleaning out extra stuff - I"m trying to figure out
what it's part of - is it related to film loading? I haven't seen anything
quite like it, but there's a lot I havent seen - the case is probably
aluminum, painted gray, the gears are stainless, this is not a cheap item,
whatever it is. Military?

Gotta picture of the other side of the device?

Wes
--
Are we freer today than in 1967? If so, you must
believe in gun control.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

got this from a friend cleaning out extra stuff - I"m trying to figure out
what it's part of - is it related to film loading? I haven't seen
anything
quite like it, but there's a lot I havent seen - the case is probably
aluminum, painted gray, the gears are stainless, this is not a cheap item,
whatever it is. Military?

Gotta picture of the other side of the device?

Wes
--

I sent Wes a photo - for anyone else, the other side is very plain - I can
send you the photo if you think you have a clue - there is a shaft with a

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

got this from a friend cleaning out extra stuff - I"m trying to
figure out what it's part of - is it related to film loading? I
haven't seen anything
quite like it, but there's a lot I havent seen - the case is
probably aluminum, painted gray, the gears are stainless, this is
not a cheap item, whatever it is. Military?

Gotta picture of the other side of the device?

Wes
--

I sent Wes a photo - for anyone else, the other side is very plain -
I can send you the photo if you think you have a clue - there is a
shaft with a flat on it coming through a boss with an o-ring, nothing
else. This was probably bolted to something via the four holes that
are visible.

It's a counter Bill.
The old version of a rotary encoder.

--
John R. Carroll

aaah, yes, John - thank you ---- but of course I knew that - the text file
describes it has having a vreeder roote counter on it - but my real
question, in case you weren't being coy and I am not being dense, is "what
was it counting - to what purpose was it employed" - I am hoping that
someone recognizes what it was used on so I can try to get it to someone who
has one of whatever it goes with - as you note, I certainly don't need a
mechanical counter in these days of cheap digital encoders.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 1, 12:04*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

got this from a friend cleaning out extra stuff - I"m trying to figure out
what it's part of - is it related to film loading? *I haven't seen anything
quite like it, but there's a lot I havent seen - the case is probably
aluminum, painted gray, the gears are stainless, this is not a cheap item,
whatever it is. *Military?

--
Billwww.wbnoble.com

In the absence of any actual film sprockets, I'd have to say,
congratulations, you've got a counter there. I've got several bulk
film loaders, nothing like that's attached.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

It's a counter Bill.
The old version of a rotary encoder.

aaah, yes, John - thank you ---- but of course I knew that - the text
file describes it has having a vreeder roote counter on it - but my
real question, in case you weren't being coy and I am not being
dense, is "what was it counting - to what purpose was it employed" -
I am hoping that someone recognizes what it was used on so I can try
to get it to someone who has one of whatever it goes with - as you
note, I certainly don't need a mechanical counter in these days of
cheap digital encoders.

Well Bill, I've seen similar on old box conveyors.
This one, however, looks like it's meant to be removed after it counts
whatever it's counting.
Sorry.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote:

I sent Wes a photo - for anyone else, the other side is very plain - I can
send you the photo if you think you have a clue - there is a shaft with a
flat on it coming through a boss with an o-ring, nothing else. This was
probably bolted to something via the four holes that are visible.

Normally your emails get through to my usenet spam catcher address. Didn't get it this
time.

Wes