Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default what is this thing part of? actual metal content

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Bill Noble wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/counter-thingie.JPG

got this from a friend cleaning out extra stuff - I"m trying to
figure out what it's part of - is it related to film loading? I
haven't seen anything
quite like it, but there's a lot I havent seen - the case is
probably aluminum, painted gray, the gears are stainless, this is
not a cheap item, whatever it is. Military?

Gotta picture of the other side of the device?

Wes
--

I sent Wes a photo - for anyone else, the other side is very plain -
I can send you the photo if you think you have a clue - there is a

It's a counter Bill.
The old version of a rotary encoder.

--
John R. Carroll

aaah, yes, John - thank you ---- but of course I knew that - the text file
describes it has having a vreeder roote counter on it - but my real
question, in case you weren't being coy and I am not being dense, is "what
was it counting - to what purpose was it employed" - I am hoping that
someone recognizes what it was used on so I can try to get it to someone who
has one of whatever it goes with - as you note, I certainly don't need a
mechanical counter in these days of cheap digital encoders.