Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default simplicity of design vs simple designs OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

John B. on Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:31:57 +0700 typed
On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:00:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

John B. on Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:16:42 +0700 typed

Some times that can be done. [Mom would buy the salesman's demo at
the end of the model year.]

But finding a cell phone which is just a telephone, and not a
rinky-dinky "communicator-knock off" which takes pictures, movies,
emails them to your cousin in Bavaria, surfs the web, feeds the cat,
schedules appointments with the Dentist, and tells the world your GPS
location (but can't complete a phone call if you're moving) - that is
a bit more difficult.
--

Can do, in fact I almost bought a tiny little Nokia like I had years
ago. The secret - buy second hand :-)

I almost bought a "pallet load" (42 new in box) when I was looking
to replace my phone earlier.

But I have to admit that I like a "smart phone" if for no other reason
then I can take pictures of something in a store and I can make notes
to myself. Example - I've got a memo on the phone listing every
battery I use in every piece of equipment. Otherwise I'd never
remember what battery for the electronic scales, the electronic
calipers, the electronic temp. gauge, etc.

I got an Ipod for opening a checking account. ("Why when I was a
boy, they handed out toasters for opening a checking account.") It
has gone from being a gizmo I used to play music, to a gizmo which
plays music, and keeps those lists I need to have.
Now if only I could find a way to type up the list on the
computer using a Real Keyboard, and transfer them.

As for notes - I still find a paper notebook "handier". I can go
straight to writing things down, rather than have to figure out how to
one finger type on the screen. And, with no camera in the ipod or
cell phone, I have to sketch.
To each his own.

I see the school kids typing with both thumbs :-)

Me three.

But yes, the notebook is likely to be more comprehensive but on the
other hand it is something I often forget

One more reason I wear cargo pants, the notebook 'lives' in the
right pocket.

while I probably do remember
to take my phone. Having a list of all the various battery sizes for
all the various battery powered devices I own, on something I'm likely
to bring with me, is a great help :-)

Good idea. I try to keep the list of "stuff I will need to get
on Super Saturday" near up to date.

I am also thinking of building another computer so I went to the
computer parts shop where they sell all the bits and pieces and have a
six foot long notice board listing everything that they sell and the
prices. Two or three photos and I've got all the component prices to
mull over.

I can see the advantage.

I also play solitare while I'm waiting for the subway train :-)

Hmm, playing games on the commute. Good idea, only I drive.
Probably not a good idea under those circumstances.

We have both a "sky train" and an "underground train" I no longer
drive in the city.

I have to drive to where I can catch the bus to go into town.
--
pyotr filipivich