Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Filter crossposts under Thunderbird

Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 7:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!

You can't "delete" the newsgroup posts. All you can do is mark them as
already read.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 9:59 AM, Delvin Benet wrote:
On 1/12/2012 7:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!

You can't "delete" the newsgroup posts. All you can do is mark them as
already read.

Kill threads with "K"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 7:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

NEWSGROUPS - CONTAINS - (name of NG you wish to filter on)

Perform these actions:

DELETE

This works for me. Of course, this does not actually delete these posts
from the net, it just prevents them from displaying. I have one filter
set up for cross posts, and two twit filters. I routinely see 4-500 new
messages when I start downloading headers, but usually end up with
anywhere from 25-100 posts.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
... I have one filter
set up for cross posts, and two twit filters. ...

Do you filter on specific group names, or any cross posting? If on any
cross posting, how do you do it?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I dimly remember setting up Tbird to successfully filter cross posted
messages. IIRC, it was in a specific word, and I can't remember.

Yes, it does not delete the post off the NG, but they sure did not
appear under messages... I can filter names, but right now I can't
filter NGs. Folks are xposting so much that killing the threads can't
keep up...

On 1/12/2012 12:03, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
... I have one filter
set up for cross posts, and two twit filters. ...

Do you filter on specific group names, or any cross posting? If on any
cross posting, how do you do it?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 10:50 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
I dimly remember setting up Tbird to successfully filter cross posted
messages. IIRC, it was in a specific word, and I can't remember.

Yes, it does not delete the post off the NG, but they sure did not
appear under messages... I can filter names, but right now I can't
filter NGs. Folks are xposting so much that killing the threads can't
keep up...

When I opened the filters feature and tried to mess around with it, I
couldn't see anything pertaining to filtering on newsgroups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

I dimly remember setting up Tbird to successfully filter cross posted
messages. IIRC, it was in a specific word, and I can't remember.

Yes, it does not delete the post off the NG, but they sure did not
appear under messages... I can filter names, but right now I can't
filter NGs. Folks are xposting so much that killing the threads can't
keep up...

I use Newsproxy/Nfilter to tag crossposts as 'CRAP', then use a
'CRAP' fiter on the subject line.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 10:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!

Here is a link to an earlier post I made here explaining it:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_thread/thread/70aeae14b7edaf75/86eecb88608d8ff6?lnk=gst&q=bq340#86eecb88608d8ff6

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 3:55 PM, BQ340 wrote:
On 1/12/2012 10:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!

Here is a link to an earlier post I made here explaining it:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_thread/thread/70aeae14b7edaf75/86eecb88608d8ff6?lnk=gst&q=bq340#86eecb88608d8ff6

MikeB

I believe if you want to block all xposting, just put in a comma in the
contains line. I just set it up, soon find out if it works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 10:03 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Do you filter on specific group names, or any cross posting? If on any
cross posting, how do you do it?

Don't know if there's a way to filter on cross posts specifically in
Thunderbird. I just include any newsgroup by name that shows up here not
related to metalworking.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 11:16 AM, George Plimpton wrote:

When I opened the filters feature and tried to mess around with it, I
couldn't see anything pertaining to filtering on newsgroups.

Somewhere in there you'll find an option called Custom. That's where you
apply Newsgroups as a filterable item.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Don't know if there's a way to filter on cross posts specifically in
Thunderbird. I just include any newsgroup by name that shows up here not
related to metalworking.

Thanks - that was what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that I
wasn't missing something.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik wrote:
I believe if you want to block all xposting, just put in a comma in the
contains line.

Good idea! I love it. Even if it doesn't work G.

I just set it up, soon find out if it works.

Please let us know.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yo

Have you plugged the vaio laptop into a video monitor ? - e.g. maybe
the LCD died or the LCD driver - but the video output on the back
is a different chip or part of the same.

Might be able to pick up a nice one for a bill or two - maybe less if
you don't dig into the wide Hi-def versions.

Martin

On 1/12/2012 9:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Select the newsgroup to read - start reading one and then go to
tools/filters - and the news group will be there. If you select a user
first - it will be a news group filter for that name.

Martin

On 1/12/2012 9:27 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
Many apologies, but my Vaio laptop video died, and I had to get a new
system. Searching did not come up with a working method...

How do you add the newsgroups to a filter? I added newsgroups with
customize, but running the filter on the NG does not reduce the number
of posts. I do not care for stuff on various social or racial groups, or
conspiracies, etc.

Help!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 16:11, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 1/12/2012 10:03 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Do you filter on specific group names, or any cross posting? If on any
cross posting, how do you do it?

Don't know if there's a way to filter on cross posts specifically in
Thunderbird. I just include any newsgroup by name that shows up here not
related to metalworking.

Jon

Using 9.0.1

Under Tools:

message filters

select filters for

select R.C.M.

click new

Under dropdown box marked "Subject"

click customize

fill in new message header with "newsgroups" (no quotes)

fill in a name at the top for "filter name" (I used xposts)

put a , (comma) in the box to the right of "contains"

Then below that, in the perform these actions

dropdown box select delete message

click the "+" to add another action

dropdown box select ignore thread

click the "+" to add another action

dropdown box select ignore thread

click OK

& Bob's your uncle.

(may have to restart Thunderbird)

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Heavens to Mergatroid!

It woiks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2012 7:01 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
tnik wrote:
I believe if you want to block all xposting, just put in a comma in
the contains line.

Good idea! I love it. Even if it doesn't work G.

I just set it up, soon find out if it works.

Please let us know.

Bob

Seems to work pretty good.. Got in this morning, and where I normally
have 100's of new posts, most off topic or spam, I only had 50 pretty
much on topic posts. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik wrote:
I believe if you want to block all xposting, just put in a comma in
the contains line.

Good idea! I love it. Even if it doesn't work G.

I just set it up, soon find out if it works.

Please let us know.

Bob

Seems to work pretty good.. Got in this morning, and where I normally
have 100's of new posts, most off topic or spam, I only had 50 pretty
much on topic posts. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.

Tom

Well, using a "," in the filter works great.. But that means NO cross
posts at all.. So 'What is it #xxx?' posts get filtered too, and
sometimes r.c.metalworking and a.m.cnc get cross posted so I guess the
best way is to just filter out the newsgroups themselves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

tnik wrote:
I believe if you want to block all xposting, just put in a comma in
the contains line.

Good idea! I love it. Even if it doesn't work G.

I just set it up, soon find out if it works.

Please let us know.

Bob

Seems to work pretty good.. Got in this morning, and where I normally
have 100's of new posts, most off topic or spam, I only had 50 pretty
much on topic posts. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.

Tom

Well, using a "," in the filter works great.. But that means NO cross
posts at all.. So 'What is it #xxx?' posts get filtered too, and
sometimes r.c.metalworking and a.m.cnc get cross posted so I guess the
best way is to just filter out the newsgroups themselves.

I changed over to that (comma) this morning. Filtering my newsgroup
name seems to taken quite literally.
Alt.politics didn't match alt.politics.stupid, alt.politics.metoo, etc.

The guiding precepts that became usenet depended on individual self
control and good sense when cross posting.

I really think it's time to limit cross posting. Certainly it should
not be allowed between alt and rec, etc. There is no way that such
crosses would make sense.

OT Thunderbird Another Dave UK diy 12 January 10th 12 09:29 PM
OT politics and crossposts Snag[_3_] Metalworking 104 November 13th 11 03:39 PM
Anybody have a Thunderbird filter that works on the group? Shabtai Evan[_2_] Metalworking 3 April 18th 08 07:58 PM
OT - Anyone using Thunderbird with XP? NoOne N Particular Metalworking 6 November 16th 07 12:02 AM