Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11295 wrote:
I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

You live in Illinois, you know how this works- you just buy one from your
hookup at the secretary of state.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

That depends on what state you're in. I know that in Minnesota and
California you can drop into the local DMV and pick up a manual for
free; I'm almost completely sure that the manual covers commercial
licenses.

For a 1-ton pickup and 7 1/2 ton trailer, you might not even need
a commercial license unless you're hauling passengers or are getting
into the freight business.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Check with your local DMV / RMV / whatever they call the drivers
licensing division in your state's web site, but in most states you can
drive quite a lot on a "car" driver's license - 26,000 lbs GVW on a
"car" license here, so long as it's not a schoolbus. You do a lot of
surplus - the duce-and-a-half is, IIRC, a classic "car license max"
truck, for instance. Kind of a high bed for loading machinery without a
dock, though.

It's a big hassle to get a CDL (especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.) Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc. You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-09, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Check with your local DMV / RMV / whatever they call the drivers
licensing division in your state's web site, but in most states you can
drive quite a lot on a "car" driver's license - 26,000 lbs GVW on a
"car" license here, so long as it's not a schoolbus. You do a lot of
surplus - the duce-and-a-half is, IIRC, a classic "car license max"
truck, for instance. Kind of a high bed for loading machinery without a
dock, though.

So, I can own a Deuce and use it to haul stuff, without a CDL?

It's a big hassle to get a CDL (especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.) Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc. You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

I see. I think that in IL, CDL schools are required to teach 160
hours, which seems like a big overkill.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

I think so too. Class A would be the way to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/09/2011 04:57 PM, Ignoramus11295 wrote:
I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

For Illinois, you should find the info you need at

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...stpub.html#cdl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:57:15 -0500, Ignoramus11295
wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

If you get the CDL, I'll give you ten to one that you start selling
liquidated big rigs, too, so go the course.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

It would truly behoove you to get the behind-the-wheel time, Ig.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

I passed my Contractor's license exam after studying a book and CD for
several weeks. I doubt there's anything available from the DMV for
that, though, but you could call them and the local truck driving
schools to see.

Well, what do you know?
http://freeonlinetruckdrivertraining.com/
Let us know how it works out, Ig.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

That varies state by state...and often there are options other than
Commerical DLs...farmers generally dont have CDLs and yet they often
pull heavy loads on big trailers on roadways etc etc.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

So, I can own a Deuce and use it to haul stuff, without a CDL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2‡
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

I recently go my CDL, class AM with TX endorsements (double, triple
trailer, tanker, hazmat). It is not at all difficult if you are smart
enough to understand how air brakes work, and can handle a vehicle with
a trailer. I got a few CDL books and reviewed them over the course of a
couple weeks in my spare time, then I went to the DPS office here and
took the written (computer based) tests of which I passed all 8 or 9 I
took on the first try in a total of about 45 minutes.

After that I got in touch with one of the area "rent our truck for your
CDL test" places and rented a truck for the road test. The truck place
provided a nice Kenworth T2000 auto-shift truck and a 27' "pup" trailer
as is normally used in a tandem configuration. The truck folks met me at
the DPS office early in the morning and gave me a review of the air
brake test and an hour or so of drive time to familiarize myself with
the truck, which was on the actual route the DPS uses for the road test.

After I passed the road test I waited in line at the DPS to do the last
paperwork, then waited at the truck for the DPS tester. The actual road
test was not difficult at all and the DPS guy was very nice, the test
took perhaps 45 min. After that a quick visit back in the DPS office
where I received my paper temporary license, with the regular license in
the mail a week later.

For the hazmat endorsement which you may not care about, there was an
extra step of an appointment for fingerprints to go to the TSA for check
and approval (new post 9/11). The TSA approval came in less than two
weeks and the new license with the hazmat endorsement in the mail a few
days later.

The total cost with books, truck rental, license and TSA fees was around
$750. If you'd like I'd be happy to loan you the books, or you could
just order the best one "Bumper to Bumper the complete guide to
tractor-trailer operations" which goes for about $48 and I believe is
used by many of the schools.

The bottom line is that it's not brain surgery and you should have no
problem passing the test. You will need to get a DOT physical exam,
CVS's Minute Clinic does them for $60 or so, and you'll need a log book
for any commercial driving you do. Also note that you can't get any
traffic tickets waived or the like as you can with a non commercial
license.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

Pete, this is an amazingly great answer, something that I have been
hoping to hear. Thanks a lot. This is the way to go. I just ordered
this book. I will stop by a CDL facility tomorrow, to get a Illinois
CDL book.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-09, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Check with your local DMV / RMV / whatever they call the drivers
licensing division in your state's web site, but in most states you can
drive quite a lot on a "car" driver's license - 26,000 lbs GVW on a
"car" license here, so long as it's not a schoolbus. You do a lot of
surplus - the duce-and-a-half is, IIRC, a classic "car license max"
truck, for instance. Kind of a high bed for loading machinery without a
dock, though.

So, I can own a Deuce and use it to haul stuff, without a CDL?

Per the actual federal CDL rules, yes if you are hauling *personal*
stuff. Per corrupt IL rules, doubtful. In either case, if you are
hauling items in support of a business you *must* have a CDL for any
class A or B vehicle, or a class C vehicle that requires placards
(hazmat).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It doesn't vary too much post the '84? motor carrier safety act. Rules
are supposed to be consistent across the country now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-09, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

I will just get a real CDL, like you. Thanks

I generally am averse of the idea of using a deuce for commercial
operations. They are not that reliable and stand out a little too
much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:

It's a big hassle to get a CDL

It's pretty simple really, just did it myself.

(especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.)

Only if you want the hazmat endorsement, they have nothing to do with
CDLs without hazmat endorsements. I go my hazmat endorsement and it was
fast and easy, and extra $60 or so, a quick appointment for fingerprints
and my updated CDL with hazmat endorsement in about two weeks.

Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc.

Yes, if driving CMVs for commercial use. Personal use of CMVs is exempt
from logs and hours of service, but since Iggy is looking to haul stuff
for his business he will need to keep logs, which isn't that big a deal.

You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

You can rent a CMV for your road test, and when you get your CDL
"learner's permit" after you pass the written test, the truck rental
place can take you out on the road to familiarize yourself with the
truck before your official road test. It's not brain surgery, if you can
drive a pickup with a trailer you can most likely drive a semi just
fine.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Yes, certainly, get the A and the extra endorsements, it's not much more
effort. I got all endorsements except for passenger.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:02:37 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

Very informative, Pete.

If i was to follow in your footsteps to get the CDL and then buy a
tractor trailer unit. What else would be involved in driving my stuff
cross country?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

It's a big hassle to get a CDL

It's pretty simple really, just did it myself.

(especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.)

Only if you want the hazmat endorsement, they have nothing to do with
CDLs without hazmat endorsements. I go my hazmat endorsement and it was
fast and easy, and extra $60 or so, a quick appointment for fingerprints
and my updated CDL with hazmat endorsement in about two weeks.

I do not quite see the point of hazmat endorsement for me.

Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc.

Yes, if driving CMVs for commercial use. Personal use of CMVs is exempt
from logs and hours of service, but since Iggy is looking to haul stuff
for his business he will need to keep logs, which isn't that big a deal.

So, I need to keep logs only for business stuff?

"Went to Dairy Queen"

You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

You can rent a CMV for your road test, and when you get your CDL
"learner's permit" after you pass the written test, the truck rental
place can take you out on the road to familiarize yourself with the
truck before your official road test. It's not brain surgery, if you can
drive a pickup with a trailer you can most likely drive a semi just
fine.

I can drive a truck with a trailer. The longer the trailer is in
relation to the towing vehicle, the easier it is to back up with it.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Yes, certainly, get the A and the extra endorsements, it's not much more
effort. I got all endorsements except for passenger.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

Insurance, log book if you don't fall under the personal use exemption,
and probably a DOT number (free). Oh, and a lot of diesel at 5-6 MPG
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

It's a big hassle to get a CDL

It's pretty simple really, just did it myself.

(especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.)

Only if you want the hazmat endorsement, they have nothing to do with
CDLs without hazmat endorsements. I go my hazmat endorsement and it was
fast and easy, and extra $60 or so, a quick appointment for fingerprints
and my updated CDL with hazmat endorsement in about two weeks.

I do not quite see the point of hazmat endorsement for me.

Asbestos wiring? PCB capacitors? Probably under placardable quantities
though...

Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc.

Yes, if driving CMVs for commercial use. Personal use of CMVs is exempt
from logs and hours of service, but since Iggy is looking to haul stuff
for his business he will need to keep logs, which isn't that big a deal.

So, I need to keep logs only for business stuff?

"Went to Dairy Queen"

Yes and no. Personal use of CMVs is exempt from logs and hours of
service regulations *but* business use is not and your logs must cover
7? hours prior to starting driving a CMV for business use.

You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

You can rent a CMV for your road test, and when you get your CDL
"learner's permit" after you pass the written test, the truck rental
place can take you out on the road to familiarize yourself with the
truck before your official road test. It's not brain surgery, if you can
drive a pickup with a trailer you can most likely drive a semi just
fine.

I can drive a truck with a trailer. The longer the trailer is in
relation to the towing vehicle, the easier it is to back up with it.

Yes, and a fifth wheel hitch puts the pivot point in a better location
over the axle than a receiver hitch way behind the axle.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Yes, certainly, get the A and the extra endorsements, it's not much more
effort. I got all endorsements except for passenger.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:30:21 -0500, Ignoramus11295

On 2011-08-09, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

A little Isuzu LCF stake/flat-bed truck would be fairly cheap ($39k
brand new, half that used. ROAD TRIP!) and quite invisible, too.
They're everywhere. I don't think they need CDLs, with an 11k load
rating. I looked into getting one 4 years ago when I started my
handyman business, but they were just too stiff and bouncy for a daily
driver. They tame down under load.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I recently go my CDL, class AM with TX endorsements (double, triple

--big snip--

Very informative, Pete.

If i was to follow in your footsteps to get the CDL and then buy a
tractor trailer unit. What else would be involved in driving my stuff
cross country?

A deep-pocketed, platinum credit card for the fuel?

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

So, I can own a Deuce and use it to haul stuff, without a CDL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35A2

About 50 were surplused out of FT Lewis a few months back IIRC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 21:38:38 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

[...]

But not necessarily the other way around.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Yes, certainly, get the A and the extra endorsements, it's not much more
effort. I got all endorsements except for passenger.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11295 on Tue, 09 Aug
2011 16:57:15 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

Check your local state regulations. They will be able to tell
you if you need a CDL and what class it would be. For a one ton
pickup, I doubt you need a commercial endorsement.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-09, lid wrote:
In articlePb6dnQ5UC8KmMNzTnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@giganews. com,
wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Check with your local DMV / RMV / whatever they call the drivers
licensing division in your state's web site, but in most states you can
drive quite a lot on a "car" driver's license - 26,000 lbs GVW on a
"car" license here, so long as it's not a schoolbus. You do a lot of
surplus - the duce-and-a-half is, IIRC, a classic "car license max"
truck, for instance. Kind of a high bed for loading machinery without a
dock, though.

So, I can own a Deuce and use it to haul stuff, without a CDL?

Ig, anytime I ever had a question about my CDL or drivers of our company
truck, I just called the DOT and the person on the other end of the line
was more than happy to answer all of my questions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

Great! Right now its legal for me to buy and operate a semi as part of
my farm in MN. Main restriction is 150 mile limit from home. My son
wants me to get one but I'm hearing this farmer provision is going
away. So, I've been dragging my feet. I thought a CDL was far more
expensive both in time and money.

I've been told to watch for a '97 or older because its pre-ABS brake
and this is a huge problem on high milage tractors. Have you heard
this? OTOH, I'd own the tractor for for maybe 20 years and don't want
a friggin' antique. Anyway, where would i go for advice on what unit
to watch for?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:02:01 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

I seem to remember Iggy getting burned by the cops for driving a large
trailer without a proper licence.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I was "almost burned". I proved to them that they misread the
regulations. I am allowed to have up to 26,000 lbs GCWR on my regular
class D license.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

[...]

I don't think that farmer provision is really going away, but as you
note, it limits your range to in-state and near your farm.

CDL schools cost a bit, seems like $2k-$4k, and even the community
college CDL classes are overpriced. As long as you have a clue, the rent
a truck and take the test route works fine. The truck rental places
typically offer test insurance for a bit extra where if you somehow fail
the first test, you get to use the truck for retests at no extra cost.
Most people won't have a problem passing the first time, but the extra
comfort level of knowing you won't have to pay for a retest can make it
easier to pass that first time.

I've been told to watch for a '97 or older because its pre-ABS brake
and this is a huge problem on high milage tractors. Have you heard
this? OTOH, I'd own the tractor for for maybe 20 years and don't want
a friggin' antique. Anyway, where would i go for advice on what unit
to watch for?

I haven't heard of ABS issues on class 8 tractors, perhaps what was
being referred to is emissions controls (DPF) on the newer rigs. Those
DPFs are expensive to replace when they wear out, but if you get a truck
with a recently replaced one it ought to last you forever in the light
service you'd give it compared to normal trucking.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

It's questionable whether a farmer is really allowed to drive a rig that
far over GCWR...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:58:38 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I've been told to watch for a '97 or older because its pre-ABS brake
and this is a huge problem on high milage tractors. Have you heard
this? OTOH, I'd own the tractor for for maybe 20 years and don't want
a friggin' antique. Anyway, where would i go for advice on what unit
to watch for?

Karl

Check with brokers and watch Craigslist California. The CARB required
engine/smog replacement on any truck made prior to 2003

Im aware of at least 10 companies that went out of business so far over
this....

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/3...cience-denial/
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r256...uction-Of-Jobs

http://www.crlease.com/prop1b-heavy-...eplacement.htm

http://www.allenmatkins.com/emails/L...sel/alert.html

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an
Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense
and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have
such a man for their? president.. Blaming the prince of the
fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of
fools that made him their prince".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

I think we're talking about the same thing. You're looking for 15K
rating trailer with a 1 ton truck. To my knowledge the largest rating
you can get on a trailer with four tires is 12K. To get over that you
have to go 5th wheel or gooseneck with double dually. You might as
well get the best axles and tires for the 24K rating.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:08:01 -0500, "Pete C."

wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

It's questionable whether a farmer is really allowed to drive a rig that
far over GCWR...

That and I'm sure I can sell this rig, then buy a semi and have money
left over.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You'll probably get better MPG too. Certainly it will handle better and
be safer.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Guys, I am wondering about something. Tractors that haul semitrailers
are probably used until the last moment, or until they become too
unreliable? Are there any possibilities, realistically, to get a used
rig for relatively little money (compared to new), that would still
have enough life to go another 100k miles?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The big trucking companies turn over rigs at about 750k as a matter of
MTBF management. These are million mile trucks, so if you get one of
those with fresh brakes and tires you aren't likely to have a problem in
the 100k you'll ever put on them personally.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus19859 wrote:

Guys, I am wondering about something. Tractors that haul semitrailers
are probably used until the last moment, or until they become too
unreliable? Are there any possibilities, realistically, to get a used
rig for relatively little money (compared to new), that would still
have enough life to go another 100k miles?

The big trucking companies turn over rigs at about 750k as a matter of
MTBF management. These are million mile trucks, so if you get one of
those with fresh brakes and tires you aren't likely to have a problem in
the 100k you'll ever put on them personally.

Thanks. I have to wonder, how old are they in calendar terms, by the
time they reach 750,000 miles? Assuming they go 600 miles per day, it
would be just 3.5 years old?