Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

I am curious if anyone here has a CDL and, if so, how hard it was to get.

I can study the study questions by myself, and I would prefer not to
go to a CDL school for a whole month.

Can I somehow pass it with at-home preparation? Also, can I pass that
test with a vehicle that does not require a CDL? I will do some
finding out by myself also, but I wanted to hear if anyone has any
practical experience.

That depends on what state you're in. I know that in Minnesota and
California you can drop into the local DMV and pick up a manual for
free; I'm almost completely sure that the manual covers commercial
licenses.

For a 1-ton pickup and 7 1/2 ton trailer, you might not even need
a commercial license unless you're hauling passengers or are getting
into the freight business.

Good Luck!
Rich