Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11295 Ignoramus11295 is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On 2011-08-09, Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11295 wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Check with your local DMV / RMV / whatever they call the drivers
licensing division in your state's web site, but in most states you can
drive quite a lot on a "car" driver's license - 26,000 lbs GVW on a
"car" license here, so long as it's not a schoolbus. You do a lot of
surplus - the duce-and-a-half is, IIRC, a classic "car license max"
truck, for instance. Kind of a high bed for loading machinery without a
dock, though.

So, I can own a Deuce and use it to haul stuff, without a CDL?

It's a big hassle to get a CDL (especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.) Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc. You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

I see. I think that in IL, CDL schools are required to teach 160
hours, which seems like a big overkill.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

I think so too. Class A would be the way to go.