Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19859 Ignoramus19859 is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On 2011-08-11, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus19859 wrote:

Guys, I am wondering about something. Tractors that haul semitrailers
are probably used until the last moment, or until they become too
unreliable? Are there any possibilities, realistically, to get a used
rig for relatively little money (compared to new), that would still
have enough life to go another 100k miles?

The big trucking companies turn over rigs at about 750k as a matter of
MTBF management. These are million mile trucks, so if you get one of
those with fresh brakes and tires you aren't likely to have a problem in
the 100k you'll ever put on them personally.

Thanks. I have to wonder, how old are they in calendar terms, by the
time they reach 750,000 miles? Assuming they go 600 miles per day, it
would be just 3.5 years old?