Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:08:01 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2011-08-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:57:15 -0500, Ignoramus11295
wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

It's questionable whether a farmer is really allowed to drive a rig that
far over GCWR...

That and I'm sure I can sell this rig, then buy a semi and have money
left over.

Karl

You'll probably get better MPG too. Certainly it will handle better and
be safer.

Guys, I am wondering about something. Tractors that haul semitrailers
are probably used until the last moment, or until they become too
unreliable? Are there any possibilities, realistically, to get a used
rig for relatively little money (compared to new), that would still
have enough life to go another 100k miles?

The big trucking companies turn over rigs at about 750k as a matter of
MTBF management. These are million mile trucks, so if you get one of
those with fresh brakes and tires you aren't likely to have a problem in
the 100k you'll ever put on them personally.