Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On 2011-08-10, Pete C. wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:

It's a big hassle to get a CDL

It's pretty simple really, just did it myself.

(especially these days - homeland
security wants to stick their oar in too.)

Only if you want the hazmat endorsement, they have nothing to do with
CDLs without hazmat endorsements. I go my hazmat endorsement and it was
fast and easy, and extra $60 or so, a quick appointment for fingerprints
and my updated CDL with hazmat endorsement in about two weeks.

I do not quite see the point of hazmat endorsement for me.

Asbestos wiring? PCB capacitors? Probably under placardable quantities
though...

Then you also have to
maintain logs, etc.

Yes, if driving CMVs for commercial use. Personal use of CMVs is exempt
from logs and hours of service, but since Iggy is looking to haul stuff
for his business he will need to keep logs, which isn't that big a deal.

So, I need to keep logs only for business stuff?

"Went to Dairy Queen"

Yes and no. Personal use of CMVs is exempt from logs and hours of
service regulations *but* business use is not and your logs must cover
7? hours prior to starting driving a CMV for business use.

You do need a CDL-class-suited vehicle, and a
CDL-class-suited licensed driver to supervise you - If you don't have a
buddy that's a truck driver with his own truck, that's much of the
reason for "CDL School" - access to those items.

You can rent a CMV for your road test, and when you get your CDL
"learner's permit" after you pass the written test, the truck rental
place can take you out on the road to familiarize yourself with the
truck before your official road test. It's not brain surgery, if you can
drive a pickup with a trailer you can most likely drive a semi just
fine.

I can drive a truck with a trailer. The longer the trailer is in
relation to the towing vehicle, the easier it is to back up with it.

Yes, and a fifth wheel hitch puts the pivot point in a better location
over the axle than a receiver hitch way behind the axle.

IMHO, if going to school (or exploiting buddies), if you have a need to
get bigger than you can drive on a "car" license, just go for the
tractor-trailer (usually class A) license - you can drive anything else
with that one, and have a backup career, and more options in buying
trucks.

Yes, certainly, get the A and the extra endorsements, it's not much more
effort. I got all endorsements except for passenger.

Thanks!