Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Commercial Driver's License (CDL)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:51:46 -0500, Ignoramus19859

On 2011-08-10, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Tue, 09 Aug 2011 16:57:15 -0500, Ignoramus11295
wrote:

I am not about to become a "trucker", but I am thinking about getting
a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).

The purpose is to be able to drive a larger truck (like a 1 ton
pickup) with a larger trailer (like 15K lbs), buying and selling
larger things.

Didn't catch this part the first read. I run a 1 ton F350 Ford with a
24,000 lb. double dually trailer. I got one with a beaver tail so the
fork truck runs right up on it. I'm glad I got the biggest engine
made, lowest rear end ratio, and manual tranny. The unit is still WAY
under powered with a ten ton load on. I bet they'd shoot you in
Chicago land driving 30 on the Dan Ryan.

You are a "farmer", but I am not, and I would not be allowed to drive
such a rig.

I think we're talking about the same thing. You're looking for 15K
rating trailer with a 1 ton truck. To my knowledge the largest rating
you can get on a trailer with four tires is 12K. To get over that you
have to go 5th wheel or gooseneck with double dually. You might as
well get the best axles and tires for the 24K rating.

Karl