Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default salt load

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 8:47*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.

FWIW, Cats have a FAR longer life expectancy when kept indoors. It's
not just dogs & cars, it's all the nasty diseases that they can catch
outside.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 8:47*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

Karl

No experience here, but a couple of thoughts. .......... But maybe
you could put an electric fence ( either invisible or ordinary )
around the area the kittens are in.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 3, 6:47*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

That rock salt will still be a serious projectile, and rock salt is
sharp enough to penatrate through skin and rib cage and end up with a
lung shot that will cause the dog to bleed to death. You need to do a
custom load where you control how much powder is behind your
projectile, that is beyond me. I've had similar problems, a bee-bee
gun with just a spring or a multi-pump air rifle with only one or two
pumps may control the lethal-ness. At any rate this elevates the
problem where your neighbor friend will end. Your only solution may
be to kill the dog.

My wife lost two calico kittens this spring, and I believe it was my
neighbor's coon hunting dog that did them in. Like you, there would
be too many indoor cats if we kept them indoors, as my wife is also a
pkt. Same tricks, that feather is amazing at tricking the feral-ness
out of them. That, and good genetics (per the vet, some cats are
naturally more tame), as I've seen some that always have a level of
skittishness, and they were handled by my pkt at an early age. All of
our cats have been neutered, but seems we get 2+ cats per year that
were abandoned out in our rural area. Most are tame, and wanting
human touch.

I have the opposite problem of a neighbor that does not like cats (or
any other wildlife) and shoots the outdoor cats that have collars with
rabies vaccination tags. SOB ambushes them through an open window.

ignator

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:47:52 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

I use a wrist-rocket slingshot and marbles. They sting like hell but
don't break the skin. One hit is usually enough to send a marauding
pooch on his way at warp speed.

If you have a chronograph, you might experiment with low mass
larger-dia projectiles like plastic slugs or ??? to see what powder
charge in a shotgun approximates the m.v. of a slingshot. Note that
some powders should not be used with less than published minimum
charges; read the manual!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use a wrist-rocket slingshot and marbles. They sting like hell but
don't break the skin. One hit is usually enough to send a marauding
pooch on his way at warp speed.

That's a good idea. I won't have to ask my neighbor before doing this.
I haven't used a wrist rocket in forty years, what range are they
accurate too? The dog runs from me on sight.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

How about a chain for the dog?

On the other hand....rock salt may do the job..IF you see him coming and
nail him the moment he hits the yard. And aim at the ass end ..rock salt
will blind any critter you hit in the face with it.

Or you can buy/rent/borrow a good STRONG shock collar and watch him
coming..the moment he hits the yard..push the button and hold it down
while he goes into spasms and apparent convulsions. Hold that button
down for more than 30 seconds!! Have his owner shout NO!!! repeatedly
while doing it..then let up and let the owner continue to shout NO!!
until the dog recovers and runs home.

It may..may take 3-4 such treatments before its burned into his brain
that coming over to your place hurts and is a Bad Thing (tm)

And he will try coming onto the property via several different
directions after lighting his ass up the first time

It would appear that the invisible fence is not set up high enough. At
this point..Id set up his collar to knock his dick in the dirt.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 08:34:45 -0700 (PDT), Nancy Kotalik
wrote:

On Oct 3, 6:47*am, Karl Townsend
wrote:
[...]

That SOB has forgotten that bullets travel into open windows just as
well as out of them.

They dont have to be aimed to kill..but it certainly catches their
attention the moment they come under fire.

Use of a 2 liter bottle over the muzzle of a .22 would be indicated

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If it was me, I'd put the kittens in a protected place and put the
onus on the neighbor. Let them figure out the solution, it's their
dog. I'd hate to have a good neighbor turn into a bad one because I
accidently killed their kids dog. I'd tell them that too. Close
friends would understand that sentiment.

Newb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

If you injure the dog YOU are the one in trouble. Catch it and
restrain it until the animal control officer arrives. Give the dog to
the animal control people intact and uninjured. Don't mention that you
know who owns it. If it is registered, they will contact the owner.
Otherwise it simply ran away from home and was never seen again. Don't
let your "friendly" neighbor make his problem into your problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2010 9:14 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I haven't used a wrist rocket in forty years, what range are they
accurate too? The dog runs from me on sight.

With marbles, you can be reasonably accurate out to 50 yards with
practice. Not paper-punching accurate, but send-the-dog-a-message
accurate. If you were once accurate with one, it will come back quickly.

Around here, there's been close to some Hatfield/McCoy level feuds over
animals killing/mauling livestock, and the shooting of guilty dogs.
Mostly the problem stems from city folk that think dogs have a God given
right to roam the countryside, and refuse to accept Fifi might still
have some vestiges of feral hunting instincts.

Had a neighbor's dog come almost into my garage years ago and give me
attitude like I was on his turf. I told the neighbor, next time he does
that, the dog dies right there on the spot. Had no more problems after
that. But, it's a lot tougher when the dog owner is a friend...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the added suggestions. Gives me a couple options to ask the
neighbor to get. i need to think a couple days on how to ask polite
but firm.

I did order a wrist rocket. The nieghbor put the dog on a chain, for
now. I know it will be released as it really suffers being chained.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend writes:

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener.

If using a firearm against a neighbor's pets if unlawful in your
jurisdiction, the particular load you choose will not in the least excuse
your crime. It is one thing to shoot varmints, and another to shoot
"members of the household", as some people consider their pets.

A local schoolgirl was mauled by a pair of pit bulls running loose last
week. The responding deputy took out the dogs with his sidearm, and he
still got grief for it, although he was presumably within the law.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2010 11:42 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I know it will be released as it really suffers being chained.

And little kittens really suffer when being chewed on by a dog...
Wishing you the best, this issue is really a potential minefield.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

Check out the Box O Truth - Rock Salt in a Shotgun
It doesn't have a whole lot of power according to his experiment
Down to 10 yards, it would't be lethal.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm

RWL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

Tell the kids what's happening and that the kittens are as close to you as
the dog is to them. Kids can often cut through the BS better than
grown-ups, they might have a perfect solution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 12:14:35 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I use a wrist-rocket slingshot and marbles. They sting like hell but
don't break the skin. One hit is usually enough to send a marauding
pooch on his way at warp speed.

That's a good idea. I won't have to ask my neighbor before doing this.
I haven't used a wrist rocket in forty years, what range are they
accurate too? The dog runs from me on sight.

Karl

It should be noted that I once killed a 175lb white tail buck with a
Wrist Rocket, using ball bearings at a range of about 30 feet.

Smacked a 1/2" steel ball into the side of his skull just behind the eye
socket and he was dead before he hit the ground. And dug the bearing out
of the far side of his brain pan.

Go with as small a marble as you can and try not to shoot them in the
head..or in the body under 20 feet or less

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 14:42:13 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

And he will try coming onto the property via several different
directions after lighting his ass up the first time

It would appear that the invisible fence is not set up high enough. At
this point..Id set up his collar to knock his dick in the dirt.

Thanks for the added suggestions. Gives me a couple options to ask the
neighbor to get. i need to think a couple days on how to ask polite
but firm.

I did order a wrist rocket. The nieghbor put the dog on a chain, for
now. I know it will be released as it really suffers being chained.

Karl

No dog "suffers" from being chained unless he is chained in a dangerous
spot such as in full sun and away from water.

He may not like it very much, but thats not your problem.

Most folks let the dog out on the chain for a bit, let em **** and ****,
then bring em back into the house.

Now the dog may not LIKE being chained..but..shrug..again thats not your
problem.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:58:39 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

SNIP

It should be noted that I once killed a 175lb white tail buck with a
Wrist Rocket, using ball bearings at a range of about 30 feet.

Smacked a 1/2" steel ball into the side of his skull just behind the eye
socket and he was dead before he hit the ground. And dug the bearing out
of the far side of his brain pan.

Go with as small a marble as you can and try not to shoot them in the
head..or in the body under 20 feet or less

Gunner

Hey Gunner,

Have a peek at this guy.....

http://www.wimp.com/toogood/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

Check out the Box O Truth - Rock Salt in a Shotgun
It doesn't have a whole lot of power according to his experiment
Down to 10 yards, it would't be lethal.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm

RWL

Thanks for the link. it looks like the problem with rock salt is that
its useless, not too lethal.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 23:25:58 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Tom, I think you're spot on here. One of the kids works for me. I can
get the word to my neighbor without having to do the direct
confrontation.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You should do some pix of kittens. I can display them on the TV and have my
dog "talk" to them! She's 16, no teeth, bum leg, half blind and deaf but
LOVES to talk to animals on TV. Not a threatening talk, she wants to play.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

There are a lot of specialty 12-ga loads like beanbags, and some that
just put out a LOT of shock and blast. One of those might be useful.

Years ago a friend of mine lived in a mostly rural development, nice
homes on 2acres or more. He kept guinea foul that were like children to
him. They would run to meet him when they saw his truck coming home.
New neighbor (police officer at nearby Large City) moved nearby,
with two very expensive purebred dogs, some large breed. He let them run
free, and they developed a taste for my friend's chickens. One morning
he saw both dogs in his yard, each with a dead hen in his mouth. He
grabbed his 30-30 and dropped both dogs with one (lucky) shot. Loaded
the dogs in his pickup, drove to owner's driveway. As owner came out, my
friend dragged the dogs out onto the drive, said "Here's your F---ing
dogs. you owe me $XX.XX for the poultry they killed.
They neighbor said nothing, and paid up.

In Texas, dogs that destroy property become fertilizer.

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:47:52 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

This is cruelty.

Just get a super-soaker, and squirt the dog with plain water when he
misbehaves. DON'T put ammonia or vinegar or any other crap in the water
because it could cause more harm than you need to do; you just want
to dissuade the dog, not torture or cripple it.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Or you can buy/rent/borrow a good STRONG shock collar and watch him
coming..the moment he hits the yard..push the button and hold it down
while he goes into spasms and apparent convulsions. Hold that button
down for more than 30 seconds!! Have his owner shout NO!!! repeatedly
while doing it..then let up and let the owner continue to shout NO!!
until the dog recovers and runs home.

It may..may take 3-4 such treatments before its burned into his brain
that coming over to your place hurts and is a Bad Thing (tm)

And he will try coming onto the property via several different
directions after lighting his ass up the first time

Except for the duration suggested, this is the most humane, and also the
most effective method. Since OP is willing to work with the neighbor, there
shouldn't be any problem in implementing it, either.

I will add that the dog likely doesn't need to be shocked for 30 seconds, as
a few seconds of pain achieves the same result, especially when coupled with
with a stern verbal reinforcement from the owner.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/3/2010 08:47, Karl Townsend wrote:
My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

Others have valid suggestions. If it happens again, take pictures of the
mauled kittens, go to the neighbor's house, and show the pictures to the
kids, in front of the neighbor, and inform them if the dog comes on your
property again, he will end up looking like the kittens.

Friends are friends, but pets are family members, and deserve to be
protected when on their own property.

It's his responsibility, not yours. Where I live, maurauding pets that
come on your property are considered pests, and can be dealt with
accordingly, within the limits of firearm laws, and you must be able to
prove the damage.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've heard of squirt bottle for cats (who don't like water). I suspect
the water on the dog will not do much. Except to convince the dog it's
play time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
Just get a super-soaker, and squirt the dog with plain water when he
misbehaves. DON'T put ammonia or vinegar or any other crap in the
water
because it could cause more harm than you need to do; you just want
to dissuade the dog, not torture or cripple it.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bear spray is good, if you can get within five feet or so of the
offending dog. And if the wind is blowing the proper direction.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from
the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious
injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

Is there a reason you can't use a can of bear spray on it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As the dog runs from you on sight. A super soaker of plain water, do
you think you can get close enough for that?

The salt load (fired from second floor window?) sounds reasonable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

I use a wrist-rocket slingshot and marbles. They sting like hell but
don't break the skin. One hit is usually enough to send a marauding
pooch on his way at warp speed.

That's a good idea. I won't have to ask my neighbor before doing this.
I haven't used a wrist rocket in forty years, what range are they
accurate too? The dog runs from me on sight.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Whoever that deputy grief should be dipped in bacon grease, and locked
in a room with the same pit bulls for about two hours.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..

If using a firearm against a neighbor's pets if unlawful in your
jurisdiction, the particular load you choose will not in the least
excuse
your crime. It is one thing to shoot varmints, and another to shoot
"members of the household", as some people consider their pets.

A local schoolgirl was mauled by a pair of pit bulls running loose
last
week. The responding deputy took out the dogs with his sidearm, and
he
still got grief for it, although he was presumably within the law.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Walker wrote:
Others have valid suggestions. If it happens again, take pictures of the
mauled kittens, go to the neighbor's house, and show the pictures to the
kids, in front of the neighbor, and inform them if the dog comes on your
property again, he will end up looking like the kittens.

He said they were close friends - you don't do that with close friends.
Well, I don't.

Friends are friends, but pets are family members, and deserve to be
protected when on their own property.

Indeed they do, but he has a number of suggestions that are worth trying
before being offensive.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/4/2010 17:38, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
Others have valid suggestions. If it happens again, take pictures of
the mauled kittens, go to the neighbor's house, and show the pictures
to the kids, in front of the neighbor, and inform them if the dog
comes on your property again, he will end up looking like the kittens.

He said they were close friends - you don't do that with close friends.
Well, I don't.

Sorry. See below, I didn't mean to infer not giving the other
suggestions a try.

Friends are friends, but pets are family members, and deserve to be
protected when on their own property.

Indeed they do, but he has a number of suggestions that are worth trying
before being offensive.

I should have phrased it better. Try the other valid suggestions first,
then if it happens again, etc.

However, IF IT WERE ME, there would be no second chance. I love my pets,
and would rather lose a friend, than allow his animals to kill one more
of my pets. Obviously, the neighbor knows what is going on, and is not
being serious enough in restraining his dog.

Quote:

"My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can."

Unquote

Sounds like this has happened more than once. To me, once is an
unfortunate incident, twice is negligence, and would result in a missing
dog before I would let it happen again.

My wife would not tolerate this happening to her pets, and it would soon
be her or my neighbor I'd have to do without. My course of action should
be obvious.

Just my opinion.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good idea. It's time for them to keep their killer dog in check at
their expense, not yours.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

It is really your neighbor's problem. But...I would approach him with
"what can WE do about this?" But, be prepared for a response of "while
we are on the subject, what can WE do about your cats crapping in my
flower bed?"

That would be your responsiblity but an easy fix. There are repellant
granules.

I vote for turning up the invisible fence collar first.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl
Tell the kids what's happening and that the kittens are as close to you as
the dog is to them. Kids can often cut through the BS better than
grown-ups, they might have a perfect solution.

Tom, I think you're spot on here. One of the kids works for me. I can
get the word to my neighbor without having to do the direct
confrontation.

Good idea. It's time for them to keep their killer dog in check at
their expense, not yours.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

The guys are trying to tell you something here, Karl.

If you get seen in public (or even on your own property?)
carrying a shotgun, YOU will be the aggressor.

I'd expect to hear wailing sirens and deputies by the score.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My little girl gets excited when she sees me with the snap of her
chain in my hand because it means she gets to lay with her tummy on
the cool grass and watch me do yard work or some other interesting
thing, or maybe even toss her Frisbee (plastic ice cream tub lid)
around for her to bark at.
Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:13:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

As the dog runs from you on sight. A super soaker of plain water, do
you think you can get close enough for that?

If the dog is a lab, he'd think that was almost as much fun as getting
buried by the snow blower and want to play every day.

The salt load (fired from second floor window?) sounds reasonable.

Not to me.

Risk of stray salt crystals hitting eyes would deter me from that. I
wouldn't want to injure a dog. I'd want to either drop it DRT (dead
right there) if it needs to be destroyed, else cause it enough
discomfort to modify its behavior without injuring it.

I would never have thought that a basset hound could pass a Cessna,
but when I tagged one that was spraying my shrubs with a marble he was
outta there like an RPG. I was aiming for his rear haunch, hit him in
the balls. ZOW!

We had a dog problem with a neighbor at the lake this summer. They'd
go away somewhere (probably to work) but leave the dogs out and they'd
bark incessantly all damned day. That really got to be tedious. So
when I saw them out sitting on the porch on Saturday, I mosied over,
said hi, then started to tell them a story:

"I had a dog once that I was very fond of who, at about age 5,
suddenly developed the habit of barking all damned day. Someone
called the cops rather than saying anything to me personally and the
cops said I'd need to correct that problem immediately. I understood
that; the dog was being a goddamned nuisance and I'd feel the same
way.

Mary broke Charlie of that barking habit in about 4 hours. I'll skip
the details of her very creative and effective solution.

I thought you might like to know that Harley (the dog at the lake) has
been a goddamned nuisance lately when you've been gone, and we'd sure
appreciate it if you'd do something about that."

That worked. They did. Problem solved. That wouldn't work with a
neighbor that is a determined asshole, but these young folks aren't
that way at all and I don't think Karl's neighbor is either.

Karl knows that in rural MN there are no leash or noise nuisance
ordinances. The sheriff, off the record, would tell you that if a dog
is a nuisance then shoot it, bury it and don't mention it. But
that's not a viable course with a neighbor you get along with and
would like to continue getting along with.

I'm not making up the bit about the sheriff. Our friend Becky had a
bunch of kids at her lake place in Aitkin County, a neighbor's dog was
loose and scaring the crap out of the children. Becky went over and
asked the neighbor to restrain his dog at least for that day. He told
her to go to hell. She called the sheriff. The sheriff said there's
no law being broken so there's nothing he could do. Becky is not
easily put off so she told the sheriff that the situation was
unacceptable, what should she do? The sheriff said it wasn't his
place to advise her on what she should do, but if were him he'd shoot
the damned dog.

So Becky grabbed the .357 Magnum she keeps in her bedroom, went over
to the neighbor's with the gun in her hand pointed at the ground, and
asked him if he might reconsider restraining the dog for the
afternoon.

By golly, he did!

Any evidence that front load washer more effective at cleaning thantop load? Doc Home Ownership 1 June 14th 10 12:54 PM
All this salt... TheOldFellow UK diy 19 January 11th 10 02:49 PM
Find the correct wire size for a load or the load for a selected wire size [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 13th 06 01:09 AM
Washers - Front Load vs. Top Load Ian Home Repair 28 June 4th 05 06:33 AM
Salt!!!!! Don Mackie Woodworking 30 March 2nd 04 11:14 AM