Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] newb@nowhere.org is offline

Default salt load

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:35:13 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:47:52 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

I use a wrist-rocket slingshot and marbles. They sting like hell but
don't break the skin. One hit is usually enough to send a marauding
pooch on his way at warp speed.

If you have a chronograph, you might experiment with low mass
larger-dia projectiles like plastic slugs or ??? to see what powder
charge in a shotgun approximates the m.v. of a slingshot. Note that
some powders should not be used with less than published minimum
charges; read the manual!

If it was me, I'd put the kittens in a protected place and put the
onus on the neighbor. Let them figure out the solution, it's their
dog. I'd hate to have a good neighbor turn into a bad one because I
accidently killed their kids dog. I'd tell them that too. Close
friends would understand that sentiment.

Newb