Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default salt load

On 10/3/2010 11:35 AM, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 07:47:52 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Karl

I use a wrist-rocket slingshot and marbles. They sting like hell but
don't break the skin. One hit is usually enough to send a marauding
pooch on his way at warp speed.

If you have a chronograph, you might experiment with low mass
larger-dia projectiles like plastic slugs or ??? to see what powder
charge in a shotgun approximates the m.v. of a slingshot. Note that
some powders should not be used with less than published minimum
charges; read the manual!

There are a lot of specialty 12-ga loads like beanbags, and some that
just put out a LOT of shock and blast. One of those might be useful.

Years ago a friend of mine lived in a mostly rural development, nice
homes on 2acres or more. He kept guinea foul that were like children to
him. They would run to meet him when they saw his truck coming home.
New neighbor (police officer at nearby Large City) moved nearby,
with two very expensive purebred dogs, some large breed. He let them run
free, and they developed a taste for my friend's chickens. One morning
he saw both dogs in his yard, each with a dead hen in his mouth. He
grabbed his 30-30 and dropped both dogs with one (lucky) shot. Loaded
the dogs in his pickup, drove to owner's driveway. As owner came out, my
friend dragged the dogs out onto the drive, said "Here's your F---ing
dogs. you owe me $XX.XX for the poultry they killed.
They neighbor said nothing, and paid up.

In Texas, dogs that destroy property become fertilizer.

--
I can see November from my front porch