Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default salt load

In article ,
says...

My neighbor's dog has developed a blood taste for Milady's kittens.
When it brakes out of the invisible fence, the dog makes a bee line up
here to hunt and kill as fast as it can.

My neighbor and I are close friends. His kids adore that dog. So I
need to come up with something non lethal and preferably no large vet
bill.

Anyway, I've heard of filling a 12 gauge shell with rock salt from the
water softener. Will shooting an animal with this just barely break
the skin, my goal? What range? I know if I'm too close serious injury
could result. Anyone with experience here?

One simple question, should I re-seal the top of the shell with melted
paraffin? Or another way?

Is there a reason you can't use a can of bear spray on it?