Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default salt load

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:13:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

As the dog runs from you on sight. A super soaker of plain water, do
you think you can get close enough for that?

If the dog is a lab, he'd think that was almost as much fun as getting
buried by the snow blower and want to play every day.

The salt load (fired from second floor window?) sounds reasonable.

Not to me.

Risk of stray salt crystals hitting eyes would deter me from that. I
wouldn't want to injure a dog. I'd want to either drop it DRT (dead
right there) if it needs to be destroyed, else cause it enough
discomfort to modify its behavior without injuring it.

I would never have thought that a basset hound could pass a Cessna,
but when I tagged one that was spraying my shrubs with a marble he was
outta there like an RPG. I was aiming for his rear haunch, hit him in
the balls. ZOW!

We had a dog problem with a neighbor at the lake this summer. They'd
go away somewhere (probably to work) but leave the dogs out and they'd
bark incessantly all damned day. That really got to be tedious. So
when I saw them out sitting on the porch on Saturday, I mosied over,
said hi, then started to tell them a story:

"I had a dog once that I was very fond of who, at about age 5,
suddenly developed the habit of barking all damned day. Someone
called the cops rather than saying anything to me personally and the
cops said I'd need to correct that problem immediately. I understood
that; the dog was being a goddamned nuisance and I'd feel the same
way.

Mary broke Charlie of that barking habit in about 4 hours. I'll skip
the details of her very creative and effective solution.

I thought you might like to know that Harley (the dog at the lake) has
been a goddamned nuisance lately when you've been gone, and we'd sure
appreciate it if you'd do something about that."

That worked. They did. Problem solved. That wouldn't work with a
neighbor that is a determined asshole, but these young folks aren't
that way at all and I don't think Karl's neighbor is either.

Karl knows that in rural MN there are no leash or noise nuisance
ordinances. The sheriff, off the record, would tell you that if a dog
is a nuisance then shoot it, bury it and don't mention it. But
that's not a viable course with a neighbor you get along with and
would like to continue getting along with.

I'm not making up the bit about the sheriff. Our friend Becky had a
bunch of kids at her lake place in Aitkin County, a neighbor's dog was
loose and scaring the crap out of the children. Becky went over and
asked the neighbor to restrain his dog at least for that day. He told
her to go to hell. She called the sheriff. The sheriff said there's
no law being broken so there's nothing he could do. Becky is not
easily put off so she told the sheriff that the situation was
unacceptable, what should she do? The sheriff said it wasn't his
place to advise her on what she should do, but if were him he'd shoot
the damned dog.

So Becky grabbed the .357 Magnum she keeps in her bedroom, went over
to the neighbor's with the gun in her hand pointed at the ground, and
asked him if he might reconsider restraining the dog for the
afternoon.

By golly, he did!