Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunners Home shop

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Im cleaning and organizing while work is slow.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/GunnersShop#

taken 11-30-09 at 11:45pm

Sigh..it looks better in daylight. For shure..hell
yes...sigh....snivel....

Thank you, thank you Gunner. You have alleviated my guilty conscience about
my shop clutter. BTW were you injured when the explosion occurred?

Stu Fields

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 07:13:24 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I see shops of anal persons, and I just cringe. As long as I can find
it, just don't mess with any of my "stuff".

Anal is one thing, and it's sometimes ridiculous. My shop is
"cluttered", mostly for lack of space, and I have a "disorganized
organization system" for where things should/will be. But it's not a
physical safety hazard to work in.

Gunner may like his layout. I find it distracting to have to physically
climb over one machine tool to work on another. Even more so to have to
move 300-400lb of randomly-stacked tools and materials just to get to the
one wrench I laid underneath it all a month ago.

LLoyd

I dont like my layout..but I dont have to crawl over one machine to work
on another..not yet anyways.

Ill take pictures again when I finally finish
clearing/cleaning/organizing.

My problem is..is that for the past 12 yrs..I was working away from
home 5-14 days at a time, often home for 1-2 days, and then back on the
road again..and so forth. The reason its a mess..is that this year..I
was for much of it...unable to go out and move Stuff around due to the
triple bypass and stroke. Frankly..it hurt a LOT to try to move heavy
**** and lift and carry. It has been a growing and healing year. And
one where I found limitations that I never had before.
And of course..my son and his family moved in twice...so the back
bedroom, where I used to store electronic Stuff got emptied out and all
that crap put in the shop as well. Hence the pile of boxes in front of
my grinder bench..still going through that stack. It used to be much
bigger. Sigh. Excuses excuses..yah..I know. Shrug. But Im getting a
grip on it. I brought the Lancer lathe home last week and laid all the
bits and pieces on the two welding benches...so now I cant even weld
anything out there.

Sigh...snivel..whimper...chuckle

Gunner

C'mon, Gunner. A while back, I commented that my chest still hurt 7.5
years after my bypass/valve job. You said yours didn't after two years.
So, it still hurts, just not as much? And even when it's real bad, it's
nothing like that first month, is it? g

Steve

Steve: I don't know where you got your bypass, but I don't remember any
chest pain at all. Darn few pain pills after leaving the hospital. I do
have a nice long scar though that seems to affect the nerves a bit right in
the area of the scar.
Have had my 3rd class flite physical for sometime now.

Stu Fields

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:14:24 -0800, "Stu Fields" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
Im cleaning and organizing while work is slow.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/GunnersShop#

taken 11-30-09 at 11:45pm

Sigh..it looks better in daylight. For shure..hell
yes...sigh....snivel....

Thank you, thank you Gunner. You have alleviated my guilty conscience about
my shop clutter. BTW were you injured when the explosion occurred?

Stu Fields

Only slightly. But I was wearing my combination Kevlar Bomb Suit and
machining coverals so the damage to my carcass was minor.

Thanks for asking!

And see..its part of my job to take that huge load of guilt from many of
the readers here about their "messy shops" and make them appreciate
their neat little corners away from the world.

Its my gift to all the anal types out there.

Jervelcome!

Gunner
"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:14:24 -0800, "Stu Fields" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
Im cleaning and organizing while work is slow.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/GunnersShop#

taken 11-30-09 at 11:45pm

Sigh..it looks better in daylight. For shure..hell
yes...sigh....snivel....

Thank you, thank you Gunner. You have alleviated my guilty conscience about
my shop clutter. BTW were you injured when the explosion occurred?

Stu Fields

Only slightly. But I was wearing my combination Kevlar Bomb Suit and
machining coverals so the damage to my carcass was minor.

Where was your 'AcmeŽ Anti-anvil umbrella'?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:14:24 -0800, "Stu Fields" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

just don't mess with any of my "stuff". It's just when I can't find it that
I really start getting ****ed, particularly if someone else has been in
there. I get mad enough when I misplace things.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I could have shaved a solid year of my last airplane build -
if I could just find the think that I just had in my hand...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:59:41 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:14:24 -0800, "Stu Fields" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
Im cleaning and organizing while work is slow.....

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/GunnersShop#

taken 11-30-09 at 11:45pm

Sigh..it looks better in daylight. For shure..hell
yes...sigh....snivel....
Thank you, thank you Gunner. You have alleviated my guilty conscience about
my shop clutter. BTW were you injured when the explosion occurred?

Stu Fields

Only slightly. But I was wearing my combination Kevlar Bomb Suit and
machining coverals so the damage to my carcass was minor.

Where was your 'AcmeŽ Anti-anvil umbrella'?

In its proper place in the shoulder holster of course!!

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:03:14 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Ayup. Ive got guys that come over and use stuff..then put it "away" and
I get ****ed off when it takes me 3 months to find it again.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Tue, 01 Dec 2009 23:28:40 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I see shops of anal persons, and I just cringe. As long as I can find it,
just don't mess with any of my "stuff". It's just when I can't find it that
I really start getting ****ed, particularly if someone else has been in
there. I get mad enough when I misplace things.

Steve

Ayup. Ive got guys that come over and use stuff..then put it "away" and
I get ****ed off when it takes me 3 months to find it again.

If there is a place for it, I want it put back there. That is my
rant at workplaces: just because you don't have time to put it away,
doesn't mean I have time to look for it!

Although, it sounds like in your shop, the right place is where
you found it. the first time. Or where you were using it last.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 01:37:07 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Actually....everything does have its "place" in my shop. The drawers
are marked as to contents..lathe tooling, milling cutters, dovetail
cutters, keyway cutters, collets etc etc. The drawer stacks under the 2
heat treating furnaces are where most of the
cutters/tooling/reamers/measuring/ yada yada live. Crom but I love the
old IBM punch card cabinets for this sort of thing! The white cabinet
on the end of that stack..has deeper drawers, one with racks for milling
cutters, one with various rotary abrasives, one with rotory table,
milling fixtures etc etc. Hell..Ill snap some photos of the drawer
contents maybe tonight.

Ive got LOTs of Stuff. Some of it really really good..some of it crap
but usable..which I try to upgrade if I find I need it more than once.
or twice a year. On the Gorton at the moment is my (repaired) Troyke
rotory table. Buddy came over last weekend and made a set of wheel
adapters for putting Porsch wheels on a Chevy Luv, out of 5/8 plate.
We really really could have used that Clausing 1501 lathe..turning 10"
diameter rings from plate...shrug..but got it done on the MasterMill,
thought it took a bit.

I REALLY need to find out what is the proper vari drive belt that is
supposed to go on the Clausing. Factory wants $108 plus shipping for a
standard $35 belt...cringe.
The belt that came off of it...Really came off it it..busted open and
missing some bits..so while I have an idea..dont know for sure what its
diameter is.

Gunner

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote

I could have shaved a solid year of my last airplane build -
if I could just find the think that I just had in my hand...

I lose stuff standing still.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

Although, it sounds like in your shop, the right place is where
you found it. the first time. Or where you were using it last.
-
pyotr filipivich

So, what's the downside about that? I know right where it is. Although,
occasionally, I will make a pass and put the hand tools back in the roller
Craftsman cabinet, and "put up" stuff in its place. I'm a trader. If I am
looking for something with something else in my hand, I will put down item A
when I find item B, then go back and search for item A, having been in an
altered state of consciousness of ecstacy when I located item B.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Steve B" fired this volley in
:

I see shops of anal persons, and I just cringe. As long as I can find
it, just don't mess with any of my "stuff".

Anal is one thing, and it's sometimes ridiculous. My shop is
"cluttered", mostly for lack of space, and I have a "disorganized
organization system" for where things should/will be. But it's not a
physical safety hazard to work in.

Gunner may like his layout. I find it distracting to have to physically
climb over one machine tool to work on another. Even more so to have to
move 300-400lb of randomly-stacked tools and materials just to get to the
one wrench I laid underneath it all a month ago.

LLoyd

Ya work with what ya got, Lloyd.

STeve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 07:22:14 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Its been less than a year since the by pass. Jan 24 of this year.
Coming up on a year next month. 11 months almost.

I had the stroke in March of this year.

Im leaving in a few minutes to drive over to a buddies shop in
Bakersfield and keep loading machinery into 40' trailers so they can go
to his new shop up in Idaho. This morning Ill be loading 4 Bridgports
and 5 Hardinge lathes. Fork lift to get them into the trailers...mice
to push them to the end..prybars to get them free of the mice.

Shrug. Of course it hurts a bit sometimes. But pain is just weakness
leaving the body. Shrug again.

The day after I got out of the hospital after the bypass..I was in Costa
Mesa repairing an OmniTurn Cnc lathe. I had to use a ladder to get up
to the control..as I still had 172 staples in me...and climbing up hurt
a bit. I was more worried about pulling out staples than the pain.

After my first back surgery..I was waiting in the doctors office for him
to come in and remove the staples. He came in, we chatted for a few
minutes..then he spotted the helmet and leathers on the chair....Id come
over on my motorcycle..42 miles each way.

He went ballistic. Shrug.

But the wife had to take the kid somewhere that day in the car..so I
rode the scooter.

Hell..Ive been shot, stabbed, bayoneted, bucked off, stomped on, beat
up, knocked down, thumped, stomped, blown up and gone down more than a
few times.

So pain isnt a stranger to me. Waking up some mornings ...shrug...been
more than a few times I had to roll out of bed, and use the wall to
stand up. But in a few minutes..Im up and ready to hit the new day..and
praying it doesnt hit back G

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stu Fields" wrote

Steve: I don't know where you got your bypass, but I don't remember any
chest pain at all. Darn few pain pills after leaving the hospital. I do
have a nice long scar though that seems to affect the nerves a bit right
in the area of the scar.
Have had my 3rd class flite physical for sometime now.

Stu Fields

My surgery was 8.5 hours, and was done by the top cardio guy in Vegas. They
actually removed my heart. I have lots of numb places, from my chest to
legs. If they parted your sternum, and you don't have any residual pain,
you got lucky. Maybe I get it because I go out and try to lift stuff like I
did when I was twenty.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

[...]

Yeah, some days are better than others. Many times, I have to use that roll
technique they teach you in the hospital just to get out of bed. Less than
two weeks after my surgery, I was walking around at 9500' elev. in Utah,
looking for arrowheads. Three weeks before, I'd walk from the car to the
store, stop at the baskets and get my breath, get a basket, stop in produce,
make it to meats, pause, make it to deli, pause, and so on and so on. We do
pretty good for essentially being run over by a truck.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 06:26:59 -0800 did write/type or cause to
wrote:
[...]

Years ago, I would visit The Other School, down in Switzerland.
Because of the polyglot nature of the students, the kitchen cabinets
had black and white photographs on the doors, showing what was inside
(and how it was suppose to look when everything was done.). I have
been tempted more than once, to do similar.

There is clutter, and there is chaos. I don't like clutter, but I
hate chaos.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Steve B" on or
about Wed, 2 Dec 2009 07:19:11 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

Although, it sounds like in your shop, the right place is where
you found it. the first time. Or where you were using it last.
-
pyotr filipivich

So, what's the downside about that? I know right where it is. Although,
occasionally, I will make a pass and put the hand tools back in the roller
Craftsman cabinet, and "put up" stuff in its place. I'm a trader. If I am
looking for something with something else in my hand, I will put down item A
when I find item B, then go back and search for item A, having been in an
altered state of consciousness of ecstacy when I located item B.

I recall the story of the guy, who went to pay the bills. But
first he had to find his glasses, and that took him into the kitchen,
where the dishes needed doing, and make a pot of coffee, and now he
can't find the check book, and goes to look for them and finds
something else, .... around and around and around ... at the end of
the day, he's tired, and he still hasn't gotten the bills paid and in
the mail!

It is one thing when it is my tools, in my shop, where I left
them, in the middle of my project. I can return and pick up where I
left off. But add other people, and that is when the organizing, and
the outlines on the pegboard, and other clutter control elements come
in into play. Part of it is the difference between working hard, and
working smart. "Well begun is half done." and other wise sayings.
I'd rather work smart, than hard. Although, sometimes, the
results are similar. I'm still fastest at "running tubes" at AMT,
because I optimized for production. And minimum amount of "work" on
my part. Finished 12 scheduled hours in 6. What can I say, the
thought of having to spend the whole shift doing the damn things
annoyed me. "Might as well, you're not getting out of it."
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Wed, 02 Dec 2009 06:36:41 -0800 did write/type or cause to
[...]

And then the earthquake hit, the dam broke, the volcano erupted,
there was a plague of flies, locust and frogs (twice on the frogs),,
two hurricanes, followed by three weeks of a driving blizzard right
around the Fourth of July weekend, the dog had kittens, a visit from
the undead, Elvis got the Mothership stuck in the temporal vortex
(again) and needed a tow, and then a complete rebuild of the flux
captivators (do you know how difficult it is to get parts for a 2012
Stratocrusier, the one with the fluid hyperdrive?).
Not to mention surrealists broke in, stole everything, and
replaced it all with exact duplicates!

Sigh...snivel..whimper...chuckle

"You tell kids that today, and do they believe you?"

Gotta go, Who called, wants to take Anybody to the ball game,
asked if I'd keep an eye out for Somebody.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
[...]

But when SWMBO's are included in the equation, trying to clean up or tidy
up, all bets are off!

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:24:19 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

[...]

Ayup. We sure do.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Where was your 'AcmeŽ Anti-anvil umbrella'?

In its proper place in the shoulder holster of course!!

You're a good man, Gunner.