Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunners Home shop

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Hey, watch that Robert E. Lee stuff. He's a very sensitive subject in my
family. Where my son goes to school, Lee's birthday, January 19th, is
"designated and set apart by the Board of Trustees as Founders' Day" to be
"observed annually, forever, with appropriate commemorative exercises."

Robert E. Lee was an honorable man, no matter what side he fought on.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Hey, watch that Robert E. Lee stuff. He's a very sensitive subject in my
family. Where my son goes to school, Lee's birthday, January 19th, is
"designated and set apart by the Board of Trustees as Founders' Day" to be
"observed annually, forever, with appropriate commemorative exercises."

Robert E. Lee was an honorable man, no matter what side he fought on.

Wes

Yes, he was. And so was the horse he rode in on. d8-)

I've found it really interesting over the years to try to put myself in the
place of antebellum Southern gentlemen and officers. Such a contradiction;
some of the finest people we've ever produced, with one big blind spot.

Lee was the president of my son's university after the war. He instituted a
number of things, including an absolute honor system. Anyone caught cheating
or stealing is given an opportunity to leave quietly, or to submit to a
student court and be drummed out if they're found guilty. Most tests are
given without professors or proctors present. Some are taken home by the
students. It's amazing to me, but it works.

They hold Lee in high esteem down there, and Stonewall Jackson, too, who
lived in town.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Almost as quickly and the Lee family departed the estate they loved and
called home, the Union Army moved across the Potomac and began using the
rolling hills around Arlington House. By 1862 the Lee family owed $92.07 in
taxes on their former estate. To settle the tax matter, either General
Robert E. Lee, or his wife...the great-granddaughter of George Washington,
would have leave their Southern sanctuary to pay the debt in person. It was
an unwinnable situation. Under the "Act for the Collection of Direct Taxes
in the Insurrectionary Districts within the United States", the federal
government in Washington, D.C. confiscated the land once part of George
Washington's own family.

Under Brigadier General Irvin McDowell, the 1,100-acre plot became a buffer
zone on the border between the Capitol City and the "Insurrectionists". It
was the ideal location for a hospital, and two military forts were erected
to defend it (Fort Whipple which later became Fort Myer and Fort McPherson).
On January 11, 1865 the federal government offered Arlington House and its
land for sale at public auction. It was purchased by a tax commissioner
"for government use, for war, military, charitable and educational
purposes." It was the open door for the man who now commanded the garrison
at Arlington House to vent his hatred for Robert E. Lee.

Brigadier General Montgomery Meigs jealousy for Robert E. Lee predated the
beginning of the Civil War, and General Lee's defection to the Confederacy
only fueled the fire. By the Spring of 1864 a Nation wearied by three years
of Civil War, tragic battles at places like Shiloh, Antietam, Gettysburg,
Chickamauga and others, waited desperately for an end to war. General Meigs
was determined to insure that Robert E. Lee would never return to Arlington.
On May 13, 1864 Union Private William Christman became the first American to
be buried on the grounds at Arlington. Meigs excavated the once-beautiful
rose garden to create a 10-foot-deep stone and masonry vault to inter the
remains of 1,800 soldiers killed in 1862 Battle of Bull Run near Manassas,
Virginia. By the time the Civil War ended, more than 16,000 Union soldiers
were interred on the grounds of Robert and Mary Anna Lee's estate. General
Meigs vendetta proved a success, Robert E. Lee never returned to claim the
now uninhabitable estate for his son, George Washington Custis Lee. In 1870
Robert E. Lee died and was buried in the chapel of Washington and Lee
University in Lexington, Virginia. In 1892 General Meigs died in
Washington, D.C. He was buried nearby in what was now a National
Cemetery...only 100 yards from Arlington House.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Lee was the president of my son's university after the war. He instituted a
number of things, including an absolute honor system. Anyone caught cheating
or stealing is given an opportunity to leave quietly, or to submit to a
student court and be drummed out if they're found guilty. Most tests are
given without professors or proctors present. Some are taken home by the
students. It's amazing to me, but it works.

Earlier, Iggy posted you can't cheat an honest man. This ties into the importance of
personal honor.

We all hope to deal with honorable men and women.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote:

Almost as quickly and the Lee family departed the estate they loved and
called home, the Union Army moved across the Potomac and began using the
rolling hills around Arlington House. By 1862 the Lee family owed $92.07 in
taxes on their former estate. To settle the tax matter, either General
Robert E. Lee, or his wife...the great-granddaughter of George Washington,
would have leave their Southern sanctuary to pay the debt in person. It was
an unwinnable situation. Under the "Act for the Collection of Direct Taxes
in the Insurrectionary Districts within the United States", the federal
government in Washington, D.C. confiscated the land once part of George
Washington's own family.

Thanks for that bit of history.

[...]

I'm having trouble putting words to this. The hatred of Meigs, and how a man like Lee
would not want to reclaim what is now a cemetary to his reluctant foes. Lee was and
remains a gentleman of the first order.

I pray our nation never comes to this again.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on Tue, 1 Dec 2009
15:39:35 -0800, John R. Carroll, copy'n'pasted:

[...]

So nice of you to have engaged in copyright violation
and plagiarism. For those thanking you for the history,
it actually came from
http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/memory/arlington.html

So much for honor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 02:00:42 -0700, John R. Carol
wrote:

[...]

Says the man who still has my 9" Milwaukee angle grinder

So much for honor indeed.........

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John R. Carol wrote:
[...]

Indeed Gummer. I mistakenly cut the link. I've a saved collection of such things that are appended with my own comments - which I also cut.

This, on the other hand, is the original. Let me know if you see any similarity.

Lee deeply regretted the loss of his home at Arlington. During the early stages of the war, foreseeing the probable loss of his home and belongings, Lee wrote to his wife about Arlington:

"It is better to make up our minds to a general loss. They cannot take away the remembrance of the spot, and the memories of those that to us rendered it sacred. That will remain to us as long as life will last, and that we can preserve."

Lee continued to feel responsible for the estate and earnestly hoped that the slaves who were left behind would be educated and freed, according to the provisions of George Washington Parke Custis' will.

The property was confiscated by the federal government when property taxes levied against Arlington estate were not paid in person by Mrs. Lee. The property was offered for public sale Jan. 11, 1864, and was purchased by a tax commissioner for "government use, for war, military, charitable and educational purposes."

Arlington National Cemetery was established by Brig. Gen. Montgomery C. Meigs, who commanded the garrison at Arlington House, appropriated the grounds June 15, 1864, for use as a military cemetery. His intention was to render the house uninhabitable should the Lee family ever attempt to return. A stone and masonry burial vault in the rose garden, 20 feet wide and 10 feet deep, and containing the remains of 1,800 Bull Run casualties, was among the first monuments to Union dead erected under Meigs' orders. Meigs himself was later buried within 100 yards of Arlington House with his wife, father and son; the final statement to his original order.

The federal government dedicated a model community for freed slaves, Freedman's Village, near the current Memorial Amphitheater, on Dec. 4, 1863. More than 1,100 freed slaves were given land by the government, where they farmed and lived during and after the Civil War.

Neither Robert E. Lee, nor his wife, as title holder, ever attempted to publicly recover control of Arlington House. They were buried at Washington University (later renamed Washington and Lee University) where Lee had served as president. The couple never returned to the home George Washington Parke Custis had built and treasured. After Gen. Lee's death in 1870, George Washington Custis Lee brought an action for ejectment in the Circuit Court of Alexandria (today Arlington) County, Va. Custis Lee, as eldest son of Gen. and Mrs. Lee, claimed that the land had been illegally confiscated and that, according to his grandfather's will, he was the legal owner. In December 1882, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, returned the property to Custis Lee, stating that it had been confiscated without due process

On March 3, 1883, the Congress purchased the property from Lee for $150,000. It became a military reservation, and Freedman's Village, but not the graves, was removed.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/his...ton_house.html

--
John R. Carroll
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I assumed it was from another source. John is generally good about citing, **** happens.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
John R. Carol wrote:

So nice of you to have engaged in copyright violation
and plagiarism. For those thanking you for the history,
it actually came from
http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/memory/arlington.html

So much for honor.

I assumed it was from another source. John is generally good about
citing, **** happens.

Pretty much Wes.
It isn't all that hard to tell my prose from the real thing.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-03, John R. Carroll wrote:
Wes wrote:
John R. Carol wrote:

So nice of you to have engaged in copyright violation
and plagiarism. For those thanking you for the history,
it actually came from
http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/memory/arlington.html

So much for honor.

I assumed it was from another source. John is generally good about
citing, **** happens.

Pretty much Wes.
It isn't all that hard to tell my prose from the real thing.

I personally did you think that you purported that you wrote that
piece.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-03, John R. Carroll wrote:
Wes wrote:
John R. Carol wrote:

So nice of you to have engaged in copyright violation
and plagiarism. For those thanking you for the history,
it actually came from
http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/memory/arlington.html

So much for honor.

I assumed it was from another source. John is generally good about
citing, **** happens.

Pretty much Wes.
It isn't all that hard to tell my prose from the real thing.

I personally did you think that you purported that you wrote that
piece.

?
I'll grant you that I forgot the cite to the original source Ig, but - well,
nevermind.

That crap I posted a while back about Dave Li, however,was original and all
mine.
An extremely abreviated renditon is also a published work.
I think it ended up as 500 words.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
John needed something to turn a big brush. I supplied the brush and an
angle grinder. Ive never gotten it back. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

It would seem, though, that there is something more to the story?

I suspect Gunner probably shipped some free flat-rate cats to a customer
who didn't appreciate them . . .

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:57:08 -0600, Ignoramus26134
wrote:
What actually happened, buill**** aside?
What is the "thing" referred to above?
As I recall..it was nothing more nor less than a drill press table. One
of the old solid cast iron heavy tables used to mount 3-4 drill presses
on.

Did that drill press table have replaceable brushes and a traction motor?

No...hum...I think that was a Big Joe walking forklift I sold him. I
let him inspect it fully, discussed everything that was wrong with
it and left it with him for a period of time before he payed me . As
I recall. Its a bit foggy. As I recall..the drive gear box was on
the fritz or something, but he stated that he didnt mind pushing it
around like a self lifting hand truck and had taken out a drive gear
so it pushed around easily.

So, it would seem that the facts are 1) You sold him a Big Joe
forklift 2) You set out to repair it 3) For any reason you left the
grinder at his place

And the disagreements are

1) He claims that you did not succeed to repair it
2) The two of you disagree as to whether it was properly described
during the sale
3) You want him to ship your grinder to you and he refuses to ship it,
but allows you to pick up.

Is that a correct summary?

At any time up to the point he offered up money and I accepted it, he
could have simply said..sorry..too rough for me or no thanks. Granted I
needed money, but there was no force on him to purchase it.

I actually like the man. Shrug. If I didnt, Id never have gotten him the
drill press table, brought it to him, (Unloaded with the Big Joe as I
recall) never have loaned him $250 worth of milwaukee tools and brought
it to him, out of my own pocket. His place isnt easy to find, nor is
it anywhere close to my service range. Shrug. Probably 60-80 miles
out of the way.

I think he also got a nice granite surface plate from me as
well...though thats fuzzy as hell too.

Id just like to have my grinder back if he is done with it.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

An addition to your summary: gummer claims that the grinder is worth
$250 snorf, and whines that picking it up requires him to veer from
his normal path to the tune of $10 worth of gas. Conclusion: there's
some other reason(s) chuckle that gummer hasn't picked it up.
Reasonable speculation: gummy gave up his grinder for good reason a
long time ago, and only brought up the subject because he's too stupid
to keep his mouth shut about a bungled transaction.

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

on.
Did that drill press table have replaceable brushes and a traction motor?

No...hum...I think that was a Big Joe walking forklift I sold him. I
let him inspect it fully, discussed everything that was wrong with
it and left it with him for a period of time before he payed me . As
I recall. Its a bit foggy. As I recall..the drive gear box was on
the fritz or something, but he stated that he didnt mind pushing it
around like a self lifting hand truck and had taken out a drive gear
so it pushed around easily.

So, it would seem that the facts are 1) You sold him a Big Joe
forklift 2) You set out to repair it 3) For any reason you left the
grinder at his place

1. I indeed did sell him a Big Joe forklift with problems
2. He was made aware of those problems beforehand
3. I did try to repair it, but he said it was ok if it wasnt repaired.
Better if it worked properly, adequate if it wasnt
4. I loaned him a grinder and proper wire cup brush at his request.

Yes to 1-4

And the disagreements are

1) He claims that you did not succeed to repair it

See 2 and 3 above

2) The two of you disagree as to whether it was properly described
during the sale

He knew well before hand that it had problems and what those problems
were.

3) You want him to ship your grinder to you and he refuses to ship it,
but allows you to pick up.

Frankly..I dont care if he ships it, or simply drops it off at Skulsky
Machinery, a place rather close to his. Given his temprament on this
newsgroup, Id rather not have him go ballistic towards me and putting me
in the position of, after driving 60 miles round trip, to either turning
my back on him and leaving, or B..sharpening his heels and driving him
into the ground like a marker stake.

Is that a correct summary?

It is now, with my corrections.

At any time up to the point he offered up money and I accepted it, he
could have simply said..sorry..too rough for me or no thanks. Granted I
needed money, but there was no force on him to purchase it.

I actually like the man. Shrug. If I didnt, Id never have gotten him the
drill press table, brought it to him, (Unloaded with the Big Joe as I
recall) never have loaned him $250 worth of milwaukee tools and brought
it to him, out of my own pocket. His place isnt easy to find, nor is
it anywhere close to my service range. Shrug. Probably 60-80 miles
out of the way.

I think he also got a nice granite surface plate from me as
well...though thats fuzzy as hell too.

Id just like to have my grinder back if he is done with it.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost