Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Gunners Home shop

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Hey, watch that Robert E. Lee stuff. He's a very sensitive subject in my
family. Where my son goes to school, Lee's birthday, January 19th, is
"designated and set apart by the Board of Trustees as Founders' Day" to be
"observed annually, forever, with appropriate commemorative exercises."

Robert E. Lee was an honorable man, no matter what side he fought on.

Wes

Yes, he was. And so was the horse he rode in on. d8-)

I've found it really interesting over the years to try to put myself in the
place of antebellum Southern gentlemen and officers. Such a contradiction;
some of the finest people we've ever produced, with one big blind spot.

Lee was the president of my son's university after the war. He instituted a
number of things, including an absolute honor system. Anyone caught cheating
or stealing is given an opportunity to leave quietly, or to submit to a
student court and be drummed out if they're found guilty. Most tests are
given without professors or proctors present. Some are taken home by the
students. It's amazing to me, but it works.

They hold Lee in high esteem down there, and Stonewall Jackson, too, who
lived in town.

--
Ed Huntress