Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home shop compressor

What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home.
I'd like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

Do you mean 15-21 gallon? If not and you really need 15-21HP your in the
wrong group!

I have a Craftsmen 20 gallon and have had good luck with it in the last 15
years I have had it. I use it for spray painting filling tires brad nailer
nothing heavy but I do use it often and have had good luck with it. YMMV?

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

15-21 hp?

Ask in alt.mall-of-america.repair

That's a monster compressor for home use.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 1, 8:32 pm, (Charles Pisano) wrote:
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

Depends on the usage you expect. Oil in the compressor has nothing to
do w/ oil lube for the tool itself. Oilless compressors are cheaper,
but tend to be noisier and are suitable for occasional/hobby/homeowner
use. Don't know who makes Craftsman at the moment, HF/CP are a crap
shoot imo that you never know what you'll get on any particular sale.
I have large Ingersoll-Rand for the main one, but a smaller similar to
what you're talking oilless DeVilbiss from Lowes that has been
perfectly adequate for what it is for quite a number of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

Huh?
15 to 21 Hp? Are you talking about 1.5 to 2.1 or?
15 Hp is almost 11KW power rating. That's a lot!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have an Ingersol Rand 60 gal, which is great. I can do just about anything
I want with it. The warranty was superb, but mine has since run out. I only
had one problem which was a bad switch, IR sent me a replacment out
overnight. I bought a Crapsman but took it right back, it was so loud I
couldn't stand it even if I put it out the door! I'll admit the 60gal is a
bit much for me,but I plan on having it for many MANY years. A smaller
compressor would only constantly run when using it to sand/drill/grind, they
are good for inflating tires and brad nailing and such. The one I have will
run at a good clip if I am blasting or sanding but I can still here the
radio!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

I should have check my spelling

HEAR not HERE!!!

ooops
search

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have skill with building your own stuff, consider a
compressor out of an air conditioner, or refrigerator. Fairly
quiet, and delivers good pressure. You may be able to get a HVAC
guy to sell you an old one, cheap. You'd need to change the
lubricating oil. Replace it with an equal volume of ND30. Make
some kind of check valve, and a bleeder so that the compressor
doesn't start under load. Use an old water heater tank for an
expansion tank.

I know at least a couple repair garages where you can't hear
yourself think when the chug chug compressor comes on. Wish they
would use a refrigeration compressor instead. Actually, I may
suggest that to a couple of them.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?
:
: I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the
3/8 and
: 1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I
thought oil
: was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?
:
: Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of
the
: above less expensive models..
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 1, 8:32 pm, (Charles Pisano) wrote:
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

I've got a Craftsman 35 GALLON compressor that I'm mostly happy with.
Just two things bother -- the tank bleed valve is usually stuck tight
when the job is over and it's time to let the water drain out (high
Florida humidity), and it is LOUD.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
If you have skill with building your own stuff, consider a
compressor out of an air conditioner, or refrigerator. Fairly
quiet, and delivers good pressure. You may be able to get a HVAC
guy to sell you an old one, cheap. You'd need to change the
lubricating oil. Replace it with an equal volume of ND30. Make
some kind of check valve, and a bleeder so that the compressor
doesn't start under load. Use an old water heater tank for an
expansion tank.

I know at least a couple repair garages where you can't hear
yourself think when the chug chug compressor comes on. Wish they
would use a refrigeration compressor instead. Actually, I may
suggest that to a couple of them.

...snipped...

That might be OK for home/hobby use, but you would need one hell of a
large AC compressor to supply the 15 - 20 or more cfm @100 psi or more
that is typical of an automotice repair shop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

WOW, that's a big compressor that's going to cost a lot!

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

Harbor Freight shouldn't even be in that sentence. A POS.

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

That's their oilless compressors. Standing next to one is like standing
next to a Harley at half throttle.

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

No need to be buying another one in two years, too, when your cheap POS
wears out or you can't buy parts. Buy a good one, like Ingersoll-Rand.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
What is the concensus on compressors for around the garage and home. I'd
like to get something between 15 and 21 hp..

Craftsman? Harbor Freight's brands..? Chiago Pneumatic? Others?

I like craftsman's deal with the 'free' tool kit that has the 3/8 and
1/2 drive air tools. It 'says' no need to add oil. But I thought oil
was needed to help lube the ratchets and air guns etc...?

Not looking to overspend. If I can get the job done with one of the
above less expensive models..

When I origionally bought, I was convinced that 5HP was the minimum to run
tools well. My origional "5HP" craftsman was not quite enough for my
sandblaster, so I gave it to my father and bought a "real" 5HP, used, 2
stage cast iron compressor. It is way stronger and quieter than the cheap
one. I'm sure it will last me the rest of my life.

The tank size (gallons) means little as far as what tools it will run. It
only affects how often the compressor will cycle on.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

A question on air compressors was posted and to this I say:
If your on A budget and live in or near A large city check on
Craigslist or try a used tool outlet. I've seen very nice compressors go
cheap. Even if you need to replace the motor you might score A bargain.
I have a Craftsman oil less 175 PSI vertical that has around A 35
gallon tank on it. I only have A 3 car garage so I couldn't go for the
60 or 80 gallon that I
wanted. I bought this one about 6 or 7 years ago and it handles
everything I need it to do but I don't use it with my sandblast cabinet.
I dought it would last long if I did. I have A old Wards gas engine unit
I dig out when I need to sandblast.
HF sells name brand compressors along with stuff like U.S. General and
in this months flyer there's A 15% off coupon on any one item. That
would knock there U.S. General 5hp 60 gal. $799.99 unit to about 680
bucks! Now, if I move the Beemer and the Knuck over to the south wall
and put the garden tractor in the tin shed...