Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The coming days......

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:31:22 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message

snip

Yeah, and if you checked you would find the people they shot got it in
the back.

Hawke

It's been 37 years since I shot anyone , and then it was under the
auspices of the US Navy . I suppose you think we were wrong for trying to
defend the freedom of the South Vietnamese too .

Any American who fought in Vietnam to "defend the freedom of the South
Vietnamese" is a fool.

Many or most of those who fought in Vietnam were drafted and went
where their government sent them, did what they were ordered to do.
There were others who had the wit, connections or wherewithall and/or
cowardice to artfully dodge either voluntary or obligatory service one
way or another. You must be one of these unless you include yourself
in the class of fools you've defined. Are you? Do you speak as a
veteran who feels like a fool?

I find your contempt for those who answered the call and served their
country, whether as volunteers or conscripts, to be offensive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message

snip

Yeah, and if you checked you would find the people they shot got it in
the back.

Hawke

It's been 37 years since I shot anyone , and then it was under the
auspices of the US Navy . I suppose you think we were wrong for trying
defend the freedom of the South Vietnamese too .

Any American who fought in Vietnam to "defend the freedom of the South
Vietnamese" is a fool.

Many or most of those who fought in Vietnam were drafted and went
where their government sent them, did what they were ordered to do.

Exactly. Can the "defend the freedom of the South Vietnamese" bull****. They
had no "freedom." They had a corrupt leader, who replaced a leader who was
assassinated with our complicity, a long series of coups in just over three
years, and no idea what was going on. Their parliament was corrupt to the
core. The supposed number of votes by which the Thieu government was
"elected" exceeded the total number of registered voters by 25%.

I knew a lot of kids who went to Vietnam. I don't know of one who thought he
was going for the sake of the South Vietnamese.

There were others who had the wit, connections or wherewithall and/or
cowardice to artfully dodge either voluntary or obligatory service one
way or another.
You must be one of these unless you include yourself
in the class of fools you've defined. Are you? Do you speak as a
veteran who feels like a fool?

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I wound up
being a Type I diabetic.

Your brain seems to be a bit fried these days, Don. First you say that "many
or most of those who fought in Vietnam were drafted and went where their
government sent them, did what they were ordered to do," which is a complete
contradiction to the point that Snag made originally and about which I
objected -- which is that they went to "defend the freedom of the South
Vietnamese."

Which is it, Don? Do you agree with Snag's point, in which case you just
contradicted yourself? Or do you agree that I'm right, in which case you
seem to be criticizing a strawman of your imagination?

I find your contempt for those who answered the call and served their
country, whether as volunteers or conscripts, to be offensive.

That's become the national sport these days -- taking offense. Only a
professional victim would take what I said about the foolishness of Snag's
remark and turn that into the idea that I've shown "contempt."

You must really want to be a victim in all of this. Pay attention to what I
said, not to the noise running around in your head, if you're going to
criticize.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

It's the same in every country and in every time. The young men who run
off and "serve" in wars come back broken and disillusioned and find that
the war was not what they thought it was. Those who didn't fight
continue to live their lives like they always do. Wars are for the
leaders and not the people. A quick reading of history should teach you
that wars are to be avoided not joined in on. And the cost of them are
never a bargain except of course for those who do business with the
governments.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

There were a lot of reasons. The military told you that was why you
were going there. At least when they told me I was on my way there to
work at a AFRTS TV station that was overrun just weeks after I was to
arrive. In the meantime, my orders were changed to the US Army cold
weather research facility at Ft. Greely. two months after I arrived,
parts of the station in Vietnam started to arrive at our station, for
salvage. Some actually had no bullet holes in critical circuits.

There were others who had the wit, connections or wherewithall and/or
cowardice to artfully dodge either voluntary or obligatory service one
way or another.
You must be one of these unless you include yourself
in the class of fools you've defined. Are you? Do you speak as a
veteran who feels like a fool?

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I wound up
being a Type I diabetic.

Diabetes? Big deal. I knew several GIs with type 1.

1. My vision was below 20/200 & 20/400.
2. I have a sharp notch in my hearing that the Army told me would get me
killed on a battlefield.
3. I had respiratory problems that were bad enough they said I couldn't
enlist.
4. Bad feet, which damn near put me in the hospital.
5. A lifelong problem with infections, from the time I was born.

That is five medical 4Fs. Each one would keep me from enlisting, yet I
was drafted, because I had skills they wanted. I didn't have rich
friends, or know any politicians well enough, so I got my draft notice.
I tested out of a three year Electrical Engineering course, that was
tailored to broadcasting.

You simply didn't serve. Therefore you have no right to say a damn
thing about any Veteran, about any aspect of military service. I guess
that Canada wouldn't have you?

Your brain seems to be a bit fried these days, Don. First you say that "many
or most of those who fought in Vietnam were drafted and went where their
government sent them, did what they were ordered to do," which is a complete
contradiction to the point that Snag made originally and about which I
objected -- which is that they went to "defend the freedom of the South
Vietnamese."

Which is it, Don? Do you agree with Snag's point, in which case you just
contradicted yourself? Or do you agree that I'm right, in which case you
seem to be criticizing a strawman of your imagination?

the only strawman is that you even think you have the right to open
your big mouth.

I find your contempt for those who answered the call and served their
country, whether as volunteers or conscripts, to be offensive.

That's become the national sport these days -- taking offense. Only a
professional victim would take what I said about the foolishness of Snag's
remark and turn that into the idea that I've shown "contempt."

Then stop taking offense, and being so offensive.

You must really want to be a victim in all of this. Pay attention to what I
said, not to the noise running around in your head, if you're going to
criticize.

Pay attention to the ramblings of a draft dodger?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks like I laid out some pretty good bait ...
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 6:46*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's become the national sport these days -- taking offense. Only a
professional victim would take what I said about the foolishness of Snag's
remark and turn that into the idea that I've shown "contempt."

You must really want to be a victim in all of this. Pay attention to what I
said, not to the noise running around in your head, if you're going to
criticize.

--
Ed Huntress

I think that Snag's remark was not well thought out. But your reply
was still offensive to me. Now you will reply. But nothing that you
say will change the fact that I found your reply to be small minded.
Perhaps correct, but still small minded.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I wound
up
being a Type I diabetic.

Diabetes? Big deal. I knew several GIs with type 1.

Ha ha! Michael, you're so ignorant it's amazing you've lived this long.

You didn't know "several GIs" with Type I, unless they had one foot on a
plane to come home. If they got it while they were in the service, they
probably were sent home on a gurney.

Look up what you're talking about before opening your yap, you lying dimwit.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I wound
up
being a Type I diabetic.

Diabetes? Big deal. I knew several GIs with type 1.

Ha ha! Michael, you're so ignorant it's amazing you've lived this long.

You didn't know "several GIs" with Type I, unless they had one foot on a
plane to come home. If they got it while they were in the service, they
probably were sent home on a gurney.

Look up what you're talking about before opening your yap, you lying dimwit.

You are the lying dimwit, Ed. They tolerated a lot of helth issues,
in people they needed. Obviously, they knew you weren't worth a damn.

As usual, you snip away everything except what you want to attack, in
a feeble attempt to prove your superiority.

Not everyone who enters the service will be a foot soldier, but
someone like you wouldn't survive basic. The others in your company
would have thrown you a GI blanket party, then tossed you down the
stairs till you either shut your ignorant mouth, or died.

They knew you weren't worth the risk for what little you had to
offer, so they dropped you for the defective that you are.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jul 8, 6:46 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

That's become the national sport these days -- taking offense. Only a
professional victim would take what I said about the foolishness of Snag's
remark and turn that into the idea that I've shown "contempt."

You must really want to be a victim in all of this. Pay attention to what
said, not to the noise running around in your head, if you're going to
criticize.

--
Ed Huntress

I think that Snag's remark was not well thought out. But your reply
was still offensive to me. Now you will reply. But nothing that you
say will change the fact that I found your reply to be small minded.
Perhaps correct, but still small minded.

I don't really care, Don, for the same reason I don't care about the
attitude of anyone else who engages in identity politics, either. It all
comes from the same emotional condition -- raw nerves that need coddling --
and it all has the same value.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep running your mouth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I
wound
up
being a Type I diabetic.

Diabetes? Big deal. I knew several GIs with type 1.

Ha ha! Michael, you're so ignorant it's amazing you've lived this long.

You didn't know "several GIs" with Type I, unless they had one foot on a
plane to come home. If they got it while they were in the service, they
probably were sent home on a gurney.

Look up what you're talking about before opening your yap, you lying
dimwit.

You are the lying dimwit, Ed. They tolerated a lot of helth issues,
in people they needed. Obviously, they knew you weren't worth a damn.

Michael, you fool, you do NOT know "several GIs" who had Type I diabetes.
That is an automatic 4F, and there is no appeal. If you get it while in the
service, you have, typically, a few weeks untreated (most people and even
many physicians will diagnose it as a virus until it starts getting bad)
before you go into a coma. I went blind in three weeks and was unable to
walk in four. I was slipping into a coma when I got to the hospital. That's
typical.

No Type Is are allowed in the service, and they never have been. You may be
able to hide Type II. With Type I, if you try to hide it, you die within
weeks or months. It's 100% insulin-dependent; daily insulin injections are
the only treatment. There is no way to hide it nor to mitigate the symptoms.

Get it?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

[...]

I know what type I is Ed. Do you have anything else to bitch about?
Some worked in the base hospitials where they could keep their insulin
at hand, in a refigerator. Like I saud, If they needed your skill set
they could wave anything. What that 4F meant was that you couldn't
enlist. Nothing more.

I had 5 seperate medical 4Fs yet I served. Not that I was allowed to
enlist, rather I was drafted becasue they needed good electronics
people, and I was already trained. Can you understand that? I doubt
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

[...]

"Workers in the base hospitals"? You mean, like CIVILIAN workers? Type I
diabetics are not allowed to enlist, and they cannot be drafted. They never
could. Type 1 diabetes is an automatic disqualification.

Like I saud, If they needed your skill set
they could wave anything. What that 4F meant was that you couldn't
enlist. Nothing more.

I had 5 seperate medical 4Fs yet I served. Not that I was allowed to
enlist, rather I was drafted becasue they needed good electronics
people, and I was already trained. Can you understand that? I doubt
it.

I understand it just fine. I just don't believe it. You shot your
credibility in the foot with the business about knowing GIs who had Type 1
diabetes.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 2:04*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't really care, Don, for the same reason I don't care about the
attitude of anyone else who engages in identity politics, either. It all
comes from the same emotional condition -- raw nerves that need coddling -- *
and it all has the same value.

--
Ed Huntress

That is exactly what I said. You are uncaring. And your lack of
civility offends me. Of course you are not the only one in RCM.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

[...]

No, dumbass. Military doctors and nurses.

Like I saud, If they needed your skill set
they could wave anything. What that 4F meant was that you couldn't
enlist. Nothing more.

I had 5 seperate medical 4Fs yet I served. Not that I was allowed to
enlist, rather I was drafted becasue they needed good electronics
people, and I was already trained. Can you understand that? I doubt
it.

I understand it just fine. I just don't believe it. You shot your
credibility in the foot with the business about knowing GIs who had Type 1
diabetes.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jul 8, 2:04 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't really care, Don, for the same reason I don't care about the
attitude of anyone else who engages in identity politics, either. It all
comes from the same emotional condition -- raw nerves that need
coddling --
and it all has the same value.

--
Ed Huntress

That is exactly what I said. You are uncaring. And your lack of
civility offends me. Of course you are not the only one in RCM.

I care about many people and many things, Dan. What I don't care for is
special pleading, no matter who engages in it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

wrote in message
On Jul 8, 2:04 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I don't really care, Don, for the same reason I don't care about the
attitude of anyone else who engages in identity politics, either. It all
comes from the same emotional condition -- raw nerves that need
coddling --
and it all has the same value.

--
Ed Huntress

That is exactly what I said. You are uncaring. And your lack of
civility offends me. Of course you are not the only one in RCM.

I care about many people and many things, Dan. What I don't care for is
special pleading, no matter who engages in it.

You only care about yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 01:46:38 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I wound up
being a Type I diabetic.

College deferments were easy to get for timid cowards of functional
intellect.

I attended college too. I even graduated, with a degree in EE from a
respected university. I then served my country as a military officer.
Combat Engineer. An educated man capable of discerning thought. I
didn't always agree with my orders. I did always accomplish my
mission and I lost no enlisted men while doing it because I selected
carefully and trained relentlessly, nevermind why I had the freedom to
do so. There were some HQ twits that didn't like me or my approach.
They got fragged, funny how things go some days.

I could cut you some slack for pathetic sick call if you had some
respect for those more able who served. You didn't ask to be a
diabetic and a no-op, **** happens, I can roger that. I can
understand how the notion of being impotent could be a bitter pill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You ignorant, insulting jerk. I had a college deferment and then I wound
up
being a Type I diabetic.

College deferments were easy to get for timid cowards of functional
intellect.

plonk Asshole.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

[...]

I made a couple of calls to Washington today to see what in the hell you're
talking about. Type 1 diabetes (or any insulin-dependent diabetes) is an
absolute disqualification for military induction now, as it was then,
whether you were drafted or volunteered.

You did not know "GIs" who had Type 1 and who were then inducted into the
service. You're full of crap, once again.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I made a couple of calls to Washington today to see what in the hell you're
talking about. Type 1 diabetes (or any insulin-dependent diabetes) is an
absolute disqualification for military induction now, as it was then,
whether you were drafted or volunteered.

You did not know "GIs" who had Type 1 and who were then inducted into the
service. You're full of crap, once again.

--
Ed Huntress

Sigh. Doctors and nurses are commissioned officers, not inducted.
They can resign their commission, except in a war zone. Anyone inducted
can't. Also, you needed to make that phone call through a time machine
to any time when the military was desperate for medical personnel. A lot
of regulations are ignored, when convenient or necessary. As someone
who never served, you haven't got a clue as to what is done. Peddle
your ignorance to all the Veterans who were drafted during W.W.II, Korea
or Vietnam. if you had a pulse, and could see at all, they would take
you, in spite of any other regulation Pilots were not allowed to be
diabetic at all, along with anyone who couldn't keep their Insulin at
hand. Also, the only regulations they can quote you are today's
version. The latest supersedes all previous, meaning they never existed
and are removed from the files.

The only thing they will tell you is the 'official policy' of the
day, because they can't publicly admit to breaking it. If they admit
that they 'can' make exceptions, then people can cause problems.

In your case, the last thing they needed was a defective paper
pusher. Paper pushers were the lowest of the low in the military,
because anyone could do it. Why take anyone like you, when there were
plenty of healthy people who could pound away on a manual typewriter all
day long, and didn't need to be babied?

BTW, I was attached to Command at every base I served at, after basic
training. That means I saw things most GIs didn't. One base was the
helicopter training center, preparing people for deployment in Vietnam.
Any veteran who needed a Medevac flight to save their life, owes their
life to the brave Army pilots who flew through battle zones to transport
them to a MASH unit, of field hospital. The Air force did the Air
Traffic Control Duties, but wouldn't fly the Medevac choppers. My job
was to make sure they got the best training possible. The other base
was the US Army Cold Weather Research Facility. There were two
companies. Command and Engineering. The enemy there was quickly
freezing to death.

I was threatened with a Court Martial for breaking regulations. When
it got to my Commanding General, I received a letter of commendation,
and a promotion. Of course you're going to call me a liar, but you
operate out of ignorance, as always. I did major overhauls of over
$250,000 worth of military electronics. Everything was Depot level only,
with a mandatory Court Martial for touching any of it. Nothing worked
right. Most didn't work at all. I couldn't do my job because of it. We
had waited over three years for support from the Depot in Sacramento,
and had just been told it would be another year. Or two years. Maybe
three years. Defiantly they would be there in four more years.

The military is great at making regulations, but they will not let
them get in the way of completing a mission. A military that can't
complete their mission is as useless as you were to the military.

Keep up your ignorant ranting, so real men who served can continue to
laugh at you. I'm enjoying the funny e-mails about you. You have no
clue about how things really are, and never will.

Also, you calling ANY solder a 'Fool' shows you for the jackass that
you really are. keep calling Washington. They will quote official
policy all day long, then laugh at you after they hang up. In fact,
they are likely to talk about your ignorance for days or weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Asshole.

We already know that, but thank you for admitting it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Asshole.

We already know that, but thank you for admitting it.

Oh, Michael, you are so CLEVER! What a clever, clever little boy you are.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Asshole.

We already know that, but thank you for admitting it.

Oh, Michael, you are so CLEVER! What a clever, clever little boy you are.

More proof that you're an asshole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I made a couple of calls to Washington today to see what in the hell
you're
talking about. Type 1 diabetes (or any insulin-dependent diabetes) is an
absolute disqualification for military induction now, as it was then,
whether you were drafted or volunteered.

You did not know "GIs" who had Type 1 and who were then inducted into the
service. You're full of crap, once again.

--
Ed Huntress

Sigh. Doctors and nurses are commissioned officers, not inducted.

What happened to those "GIs with Type 1 diabetes" that you knew? When did
they transmogrify into doctors with commissions?

You made up some great stories, Michael. If we didn't know you better,
they'd almost be believable. It's not that you start out lying; it's just
that, once you find out you've made a mistake, you will go to any lengths to
avoid admitting it. We've followed your odyssey from "knowing GIs with Type
1 diabetes" to "knowing commissioned doctors with Type 1 diabetes,"
realizing along the way that you'd have to have known the medical condition
of many thousands of military doctors to have even a statistical chance of
being right.

I find it unlikely that thousands of military doctors opened up their
personal medical histories to you. And it's also unlikely that you would
know a Type 1 from a Type 2 unless you knew them personally. And, and...it's
unlikely that you knew how many joined the military with those conditions,
versus the number who became Type 2s while serving. The Type 1s were gone by
then. And Type 2s under age 60 or so who aren't in serious medical distress
but who take insulin are, themselves, very rare.

The point is, you have been telling us that you had "five 4Fs" for years,
yet you were drafted. I've never commented about that and I won't now. But
for you to project from that to claiming that I could have overcome the fact
that Type 1 diabetics are not allowed to serve, especially since you pointed
that out, unlike you, I had no particularly valuable skills at the time, is
stupid.

Which characterizes your entire tale of mixed fantasy, ignorance, and
smoke-blowing to which you've just subjected us. To sum it up, you're full
of crap.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 9, 9:52*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

* *The military is great at making regulations, but they will not let
them get in the way of completing a mission. *A military that can't
complete their mission is as useless as you were to the military.

Almost the first thing I learned in the Army was that NOTHING I'd
heard about it on the outside, except from recent veterans, was really
true.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

I attended college too. I even graduated, with a degree in EE from a
respected university. I then served my country as a military officer.
Combat Engineer.

Don, thank you for your service to our country

Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

BTW, I was attached to Command at every base I served at, after basic
training. That means I saw things most GIs didn't. One base was the
helicopter training center, preparing people for deployment in Vietnam.
Any veteran who needed a Medevac flight to save their life, owes their
life to the brave Army pilots who flew through battle zones to transport
them to a MASH unit, of field hospital. The Air force did the Air
Traffic Control Duties, but wouldn't fly the Medevac choppers. My job
was to make sure they got the best training possible. The other base
was the US Army Cold Weather Research Facility. There were two
companies. Command and Engineering. The enemy there was quickly
freezing to death.

Michael, thank you for your service to our country.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

I made a couple of calls to Washington today to see what in the hell
you're
talking about. Type 1 diabetes (or any insulin-dependent diabetes) is an
absolute disqualification for military induction now, as it was then,
whether you were drafted or volunteered.

You did not know "GIs" who had Type 1 and who were then inducted into the
service. You're full of crap, once again.

--
Ed Huntress

Sigh. Doctors and nurses are commissioned officers, not inducted.

What happened to those "GIs with Type 1 diabetes" that you knew? When did
they transmogrify into doctors with commissions?

They didn't. They were always GIs. Even draftees were referred to
as GIs. its military slang. But then, you weren't worthy of serving,
with you having been rejected as a useless defective.

You made up some great stories, Michael. If we didn't know you better,
they'd almost be believable.

Stories? Prove it, fool.

It's not that you start out lying; it's just
that, once you find out you've made a mistake, you will go to any lengths to
avoid admitting it. We've followed your odyssey from "knowing GIs with Type
1 diabetes" to "knowing commissioned doctors with Type 1 diabetes,"
realizing along the way that you'd have to have known the medical condition
of many thousands of military doctors to have even a statistical chance of
being right.

I find it unlikely that thousands of military doctors opened up their
personal medical histories to you.

So, the Military hospitals kept a good supply of insulin, for
nothing? What a fool. You want us to believe that every Doctor or
Nurse was in perfect health? And then if not every Doctor or Nurse,
just the ones willing to take a commission in the US military? How many
of those experimental drugs did you overdose on?

And it's also unlikely that you would
know a Type 1 from a Type 2 unless you knew them personally. And, and...it's
unlikely that you knew how many joined the military with those conditions,
versus the number who became Type 2s while serving. The Type 1s were gone by
then. And Type 2s under age 60 or so who aren't in serious medical distress
but who take insulin are, themselves, very rare.

Tell me Ed. How could they develop Type 1, after they are in the
military?

Rare? Of course its rare. If they are in good health and can control
their Diabetes with medications like Metformin or Gliptzide, it would be
foolish to take Insulin. You think that stating the obvious makes you
matter? Anyone who has Diabetes already knows the facts. More smoke
from the usual flaming asshole

The point is, you have been telling us that you had "five 4Fs" for years,
yet you were drafted. I've never commented about that and I won't now. But
for you to project from that to claiming that I could have overcome the fact
that Type 1 diabetics are not allowed to serve, especially since you pointed
that out, unlike you, I had no particularly valuable skills at the time, is
stupid.

The point is, you don't know a damn thing, but think you can lie long
enough to convince people. Just like during W.W.II, when ham radio
operators who were 4F rejects, were drafted. The war effort didn't have
the time, money or other needed resources to train the number of troops
needed to be radio operators, but they knew that they needed to provide
communications if they expected to win.

Go ahead. Continue to make all the ignorant comments that you like.
Veterans will see that you're a lying fool. You are as clueless about
the military, as ever. My records said that I was 'Medically
Acceptable', not that I was in good physical health. That meant they
felt I could do the job, and was worth taking the risk on my health. it
also meant they could get almost two full years of actual duty, without
a six year enlistment. I would have been in school for three years for
the engineering course. Add the seven weeks of basic training,
transportation time and costs, and waiting till the next course started
, while doing grunt work or just sitting around in the barracks for
months at Ft. Monmoth, they made out like bandits.

My DD-214 lists my secondary MOS as N/A. According to regulations, it
has to list my secondary MOS as infantry. It doesn't, because of the
multiple 4F ratings. Another example of you trying to show how smart
you are, when you are talking out your ignorant ass. Stick to retelling
stories of your so called 'glory days' of writing about machine tools
before all the remaining copies are converted to cheap toilet paper.

Call Washington and demand to see proof that I never served with
multiple 4F ratings. Or find a real man. One who served honorably, and
who can check the DOD database records through http://www.Military.com.
They will find me there with no problems.

Which characterizes your entire tale of mixed fantasy, ignorance, and
smoke-blowing to which you've just subjected us. To sum it up, you're full
of crap.

Sure. If there were a market for human crap, we could buy you for
what you're worth, and sell you for something closer to what you think
you are worth. Maybe a couple bucks.

You belong in the world book of records for blowing smoke up your own
ass. You plonk most people who you can't yell down. You have no clue
about the real, day to day military life. I have been a patient in a
military hospital. You fantasize that you know anything about it.

As far as crap, you should open a Roto Rooter franchise to clean up
after yourself. as always, you think you are superior, when you are
useless. Uncle Sam saw that, long ago and told you to get lost. you
still can't take a hint.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The military is great at making regulations, but they will not let
them get in the way of completing a mission. A military that can't
complete their mission is as useless as you were to the military.

Almost the first thing I learned in the Army was that NOTHING I'd
heard about it on the outside, except from recent veterans, was really
true.

AMEN!

People tell me, 'The hijinks on MASH couldn't have happened!' I
laugh and tell them they couldn't show what really happened, on TV.

Of course you can't convince them they are ignorant of military life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

BTW, I was attached to Command at every base I served at, after basic
training. That means I saw things most GIs didn't. One base was the
helicopter training center, preparing people for deployment in Vietnam.
Any veteran who needed a Medevac flight to save their life, owes their
life to the brave Army pilots who flew through battle zones to transport
them to a MASH unit, of field hospital. The Air force did the Air
Traffic Control Duties, but wouldn't fly the Medevac choppers. My job
was to make sure they got the best training possible. The other base
was the US Army Cold Weather Research Facility. There were two
companies. Command and Engineering. The enemy there was quickly
freezing to death.

Michael, thank you for your service to our country.

Thank you. I did what they asked of me, to the best of my abilities.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Hey, I wasn't the one with the five 4Fs. You were apparently a useful
defective. d8-)

[...]

Probably for a variety of reasons -- not the least of which is to keep
anyone who *becomes* diabetic, while serving, from dying on the spot. Euell
Gibbons' brother was one of those. In the diabetes magazines there are
occassional stories about soldiers who became diabetic while on active duty
and who had their careers cut short.

And it's also unlikely that you would
know a Type 1 from a Type 2 unless you knew them personally. And,
and...it's
unlikely that you knew how many joined the military with those
conditions,
versus the number who became Type 2s while serving. The Type 1s were gone
by
then. And Type 2s under age 60 or so who aren't in serious medical
distress
but who take insulin are, themselves, very rare.

Tell me Ed. How could they develop Type 1, after they are in the
military?

The same way I did, at age 23. One month you're cruising along, and the next
month your blood glucose is 700 and you find out that you're a juvenile
diabetic.

I thought you said you knew what Type 1 is about. More b.s. from you, eh?

Rare? Of course its rare. If they are in good health and can control
their Diabetes with medications like Metformin or Gliptzide, it would be
foolish to take Insulin.

Not necessarily. Some Type 2s are better off with insulin therapy. They're
mostly older ones, but not all of them are. Glipizide is kind of "hot" for
some diabetics to handle -- it can drive you to hypoglycemia in a big and
unhappy surprise. Metformin gives some people uncontrollable diarrhea.
Insulin is better. g

You think that stating the obvious makes you
matter? Anyone who has Diabetes already knows the facts.

I doubt if you know many facts, except for those that relate to old Type 2s
like yourself.

More smoke
from the usual flaming asshole

Running out of fresh insults, Michael?

snip

Call Washington and demand to see proof that I never served with
multiple 4F ratings.

As I said, I don't question that you're a physical basket case, Michael.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 9, 3:21*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

I made a couple of calls to Washington today to see what in the hell you're
talking about. Type 1 diabetes (or any insulin-dependent diabetes) is an
absolute disqualification for military induction now, as it was then,
whether you were drafted or volunteered.

You did not know "GIs" who had Type 1 and who were then inducted into the
service. You're full of crap, once again.

--
Ed Huntress

Sailors that wear glasses can not be assigned to duties as lookouts.
The obvious reason is that in bad weather causes the inability to see
because of the spray on the glasses. I wear glasses and wore glasses
while I was in the Navy.

And then there was the night when another sailor and I were lookouts
on the bridge during some rough weather. The bridge was 60 feet above
the water line. Never the less we took some green water that bashed
in part of the plexiglass windscreen in front of the chart room. The
other sailor got hit by the plexiglass and about a dozen gallon of
water went thru a port hole into the chart room. After that they let
us act as lookouts inside of the chartroom.

Just as well we had radar so we knew where the other ships in our
division were. You couldn't see anything. Even the next day during
daylight, you could not see the other ships in our division when we
were in a trough. The tops of their masts were 90 feet above the
water line. The biggest rolls we took were 55 degrees.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

=======================================

Ugh. It's that last sentence that makes my stomach churn.

Destroyer?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 9, 3:31*pm, Ignoramus10294 ignoramus10...@NOSPAM.
10294.invalid wrote:

Did many people get seasick on the ship?

I can only remember one person getting seasick during that storm. We
were going from Japan to the states and there were about 15 people
that we were transporting back to the states as their enlistments were
almost up. One was a young Marine who was seasick as soon as we got
away. The storm did not occur until we were at sea for about 5 days.
So he was seasick until the end of the storm. But after the storm he
was fine for the rest of the trip.

The ship was a Destroyer, so the crew had gotten used to rolls.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 9, 3:36*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

*The biggest rolls we took were 55 degrees.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

=======================================

Ugh. It's that last sentence that makes my stomach churn.

Destroyer?

--
Ed Huntress

Right Destroyer. Later I told my uncle, Charles Lynch, about the
storm and how some oxygen bottles got ripped from the stantions and
people thought they were depth charges rolling around on deck. And
later when we had big swells from astern, and the ship would pitch
down enough that depth charges rolled forward in the depth charge
rack, hit the single bar that was installed and jumped over the bar.
( there was suppose to be two bars ).

Anyway after I got to the part about the 55 degree rolls, he said
that he had seen destroyers roll 90 degrees...................Then
rolled until they were upside down and broke up. He was on Halseys
staff on the Missouri during the battle of the Coral Sea. The 55
degree rolls seemed not all that much after he said that.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

You think tahat's funny? I was born sick. I have survivied into my
mid 50's in spite of being told I wouldn't. I've survived medical
problems i was told I couldn't. You have to try a lot harder than that.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 9, 5:06*pm, " wrote:
... *He was on Halseys
staff on the Missouri during the battle of the Coral Sea. *The 55
degree rolls seemed not all that much after he said that.

Dan

The battle of Okinawa, perhaps. BB-63 was launched 2 years after the
Coral Sea. Halsey came aboard May 18, 1945.

Okinawa was a bad place to be on a ship due to the kamikazes. My
father happened to walk from the stern of a DD to the bow, for a
better look, just before a plane blew the stern off.

The bad typhoon hit afterwards, June 5 & 6, 1945.

jsw

The coming days...... William Wixon Metalworking 6 July 12th 09 12:48 AM
OT-143 days RB[_2_] Metalworking 1 June 27th 08 10:57 PM
OT-143 days RB[_2_] Metalworking 0 June 26th 08 04:09 PM
Win XP goes off after 30 days [email protected] Electronics Repair 33 March 5th 08 01:30 AM
The Woodworking Shows Is Coming to Baltimore - 3 Days Only! (PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance) [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 7th 06 01:24 PM