Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Win XP goes off after 30 days

After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8 Dec, 22:18, " wrote:
After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS

Take it to a friends house !
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS

If you can't get to Microsoft over the net, you'll have to call them on the
phone. The number to call should be in the activation instructions that came
with your system.

BTW, if you don't have access to the net, how did you post this
message??????????????????

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

"In theory, there isn't any difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fynnashba@ yahoo.com wrote:
I was asked activate it

That's so archaic.

on the net but I dont have it in my home not even my village.

This won't cost you a cent
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...arge+no-*-cost
--and those folks won't constantly call you a thief.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveM wrote:

If you can't get to Microsoft over the net, you'll have to call them on the
phone. The number to call should be in the activation instructions that came
with your system.

But that's the point. You shouldn't have to. His activation is dropping
out every month or so.
Phone activation?? No bloody wonder why many buy a product, and then hack
it for use. I did the same thing with a friends' installation of MS Office.
I was part way through the phone activation, before I miss-dialled the second
time. You've GOT to be f*cking joking.
I delayed the install a few days while I found a hack. Screw that for a
joke, I've got better things to do.

BTW, if you don't have access to the net, how did you post this
message??????????????????

Perhaps only occasional access to the net? Therefore not practical to move
the machine to wherever you have 'net access just to take care of that.
Harder if you don't have a network card, or no other way to net enable the
thing. Yadda yadda, you get the idea.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveM wrote:
wrote...
After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS

If you can't get to Microsoft over the net, you'll have to call them on the
phone. The number to call should be in the activation instructions that came
with your system.

BTW, if you don't have access to the net, how did you post this
message??????????????????

It's not impossible. Years back I had a UUCP feed for news and mail; it
wouldn't have done a blessed thing for getting XP registered, couldn't
surf the web, etc.

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS

Use the phone activation, as stupid as the requirement to activate is, the
process is largely automated and painless.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet wrote:
wrote...

After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.

Use the phone activation, as stupid as the requirement to activate is, the
process is largely automated and painless.

If he lives in a place so remote he can't get online connectivity easily,
the phone call will probably cost him a month's salary.

--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause
as much pollution as 20,000 cars in a year.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A proper genuine Win XP (not a counterfeit one, it isn't legal anyway)
OS should be registered with Microsoft company.Win XP Home Edition OS in
my Velocity Micro desk top computer is.Velocity Micro
www.velocitymicro.com in Richmond,Virginia set mine up before they
shipped the computer to me about four and a half years ago.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fynnashba@ yahoo.com wrote:
I was asked activate it

JeffM wrote:
That's so archaic.

on the net but I dont have it in my home not even my village.

This won't cost you a cent
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...arge+no-*-cost
--and those folks won't constantly call you a thief.

Meat Plow wrote: (X-No-Archive, as done by so many cowards)
I'm a Kubuntu user and an advocate
but to suggest Ubuntu to the OP in this case is idiotic.

That depends on:
1) How broke he is.
(He will probably end up paying M$ for yet another licence.)
2) How much of the M$ Kool-Aid he has drunk.
3) How forward-looking he is. (Vista is tolling M$'s death.)

If he's still tied to some Windows-compatible app[1], well,
in 2007, a huge number of Windoze binaries can run using WINE
--completely eliminating the Microsoft Tax(tm).

If that doesn't work for what he's doing,
he should find a copy of W2000 (no stupid Product Activation)
and run that in a Virtual Machine under Linux.
When (not *IF*) Windoze blows up, just close the Virtual Session.
He'll soon find that not having to constantly reboot the hardware
for all those Windoze ****-ups or for the slightest little tweak
is SO much nicer than the M$ way.
..
..
[1] Running a bootable Knoppix CD
will demonstrate just how many FREE apps are available
to do what you have been doing under Windoze
with non-libre payware.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:33:08 +1100, John Tserkezis wrote:

DaveM wrote:

If you can't get to Microsoft over the net, you'll have to call them on the
phone. The number to call should be in the activation instructions that came
with your system.

But that's the point. You shouldn't have to. His activation is dropping
out every month or so.

That's not what is happening. He has to keep reinstalling it after 30
days when it quits because it wasn't activated in the first place.
Well at least that's my interpretation

XP sometimes loses its authorisation due to changing items of hardware,
you get a screen telling you that it need re-authorising and a choice to
activate by telephone.
After entering your country, your computer provides a free phone number
and a registration code of (I Think) 50 digits.
Dialing the freephone number gets you a computer generated voice who
(which) asks that you enter the number into your phone - in groups of -
I think - 6 digits to make it easier, then after asking a few trick
questions about why you need to re authorise windows (new Motherboard &
how many computers is this copy of windows installed on? - answer ONE!),
supplies you with a new activation code which you type into the box
provided. It`s easier done than said.

I assume it`s the same in the US as it is here.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Meat Plow wrote:

snip

LMAO, So you're a real f****** he-man because you don't include XNA in your
header.

Usenet is in danger of relevancy and continued permanence; XNA is a _very_
bad idea as a major attribute of Usenet is the public archiving of traffic
for future rerference. If folks don't want their posts archived, perhaps
it would be better if they took that aspect of a discussion offline.
I would hope most NNTP server admins would configure their s/w to disregard
XNA.

Regards,

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hi, microsoft is retarded .

now what does a friend of mine that is 6 and half hours away from the
nearest town, doesnt have phone , he only has hf radio and snail mail.
how does he activate it. ???
microsoft cant even answer that !!!
no wonder people get peed of and make cracks etc...

DaveM wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

so , if i load this , i can install any other microsoft software without
any problems ??

"JeffM" wrote in message
fynnashba@ yahoo.com wrote:
I was asked activate it

That's so archaic.

on the net but I dont have it in my home not even my village.

This won't cost you a cent
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...arge+no-*-cost
--and those folks won't constantly call you a thief.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

well, you be screwed if you live over 6 hours , out on a farm , with NO
TELEPHONE , only contact is via hf radio , and snail mail.
microsoft didnt even bother to think about people out on farms in the
middle of no where did they ? when they try to register their copy pf crappy
xp.

es Sweet" wrote in message

wrote in message

After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS

Use the phone activation, as stupid as the requirement to activate is, the
process is largely automated and painless.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No offense, but it's common knowledge that recent Microsoft operating
systems require "online" activation of some sort. You should have asked
about this.

Have someone with 'net access or near a telephone contact Microsoft and ask
what you should do. Microsoft should be able to supply some form of
confirmation that will allow the computer to continue working.

Note that activation is "permaent" unless you make sufficient system
alteration (peripherals, lots of software) that the OS starts thinking it's
on another computer. (Yeah, I know that sounds dumb.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mark krawczuk wrote:

well, you be screwed if you live over 6 hours , out on a farm , with NO
TELEPHONE , only contact is via hf radio , and snail mail.
microsoft didnt even bother to think about people out on farms in the
middle of no where did they ? when they try to register their copy pf
crappy xp.

Given that most people probably buy a system where XP is pre-installed and
pre-activated it is generally not a problem.

What percentage of the users of XP actually fall into the situation you are
so upset about? 0.01%?

What does the person on the farm who has the HF radio do if they want to
contact someone who has a phone and no HF radio?

How about having the person on the farm use the HF radio to contact someone
who has a phone. Have that person call Microsoft and relay the
communications. It only takes a few minutes to do the authentication.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
well, you be screwed if you live over 6 hours , out on a farm , with NO
TELEPHONE , only contact is via hf radio , and snail mail.
microsoft didnt even bother to think about people out on farms in the
middle of no where did they ? when they try to register their copy pf
crappy xp.

Ideas:

HF radio phone patch.

Satellite phone. (Don't you have satellite phones out there?)

Write Microsoft a letter by snail mail.

Or just get the activation done when you buy the computer.

This only has to be done once, when Windows is first installed, and you have
30 days to do it. Do you stay on the farm for 30 days solid?

More to the point... People 6 hours from civilization are *not* the main
target audience of Windows XP!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
it still doesnt matter where u live, so what do th e .1 PERCENT do ???

Contact Microsoft by any available means and see what they say, rather than
complaining loudly that they won't help you when you haven't even asked.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
it still doesnt matter where u live, so what do th e .1 PERCENT do ???

BTW, if you are really so far away from all telephones, net connections,
etc., how are you talking to us now?

And how did you get the computer? Surely it could be activated at the place
where you got it -- which is the normal procedure. Why was it shipped to
you unactivated?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hi, i said what about , etc.. its a friend of mine.!!!
well , being activated at place where u bought it is besides the point ,
mnicrosoft just didnt think to well about it , did they .

"mc" wrote in message
"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
it still doesnt matter where u live, so what do th e .1 PERCENT do ???

BTW, if you are really so far away from all telephones, net connections,
etc., how are you talking to us now?

And how did you get the computer? Surely it could be activated at the
place where you got it -- which is the normal procedure. Why was it
shipped to you unactivated?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message

hi, i said what about, etc.. its a friend of mine.!!! Well, being
being activated at place where u bought it is besides the point ,
Microsoft just didnt think to well about it, did they.

No, your friend didn't think too well about it. Or the dealer didn't think
too well about it.

Most computer hardware and software companies assume their customers have
Web access, a reasonable assumption. Furthermore, most people buying Windows
knows that it needs activation.

As I and other have said... CALL MICROSOFT.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message
hi, i said what about , etc.. its a friend of mine.!!!
well , being activated at place where u bought it is besides the point ,
mnicrosoft just didnt think to well about it , did they .

No, they don't apparently want the business of the 2 or 3 people on earth
who have no access to any form of communication...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

Most computer hardware and software companies assume their customers have
Web access, a reasonable assumption. Furthermore, most people buying
Windows
knows that it needs activation.

As I and other have said... CALL MICROSOFT.

Or even write them a letter...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

how can he call microsoft , when he aint got a fone ????????
did u know th everification number or whatever it is changes each time you
turn the computer on ?

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
"mark krawczuk" wrote in message

hi, i said what about, etc.. its a friend of mine.!!! Well, being
being activated at place where u bought it is besides the point ,
Microsoft just didnt think to well about it, did they.

No, your friend didn't think too well about it. Or the dealer didn't think
too well about it.

Most computer hardware and software companies assume their customers have
Web access, a reasonable assumption. Furthermore, most people buying
Windows
knows that it needs activation.

As I and other have said... CALL MICROSOFT.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message

how can he call microsoft when he aint got a fone ????????

Well, how did he get in touch with the dealer that sold him the computer?

Does he have a friend with a phone?

You said he had an HF radio. Well, 10m and below is HF. If he's a Ham, he
shouuld be able to contact someone to patch him in.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 14:18:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

After re-installing win XP SP on my machine it goes of in about 30
days. I was asked activate it on the net but I dont have it in my home
not even my village. how can I go round this? BTW the Cd came with the
machine.
THANKS

Upgrade to Ubuntu or if you must stick with Microsoft products choose
Windows 2000.

XP and particularly Vista are the last pathetic responses at the very
end of the Microsoft empire.