Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JeffM JeffM is offline

Default Win XP goes off after 30 days

fynnashba@ yahoo.com wrote:
I was asked activate it

JeffM wrote:
That's so archaic.

on the net but I dont have it in my home not even my village.

This won't cost you a cent
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...arge+no-*-cost
--and those folks won't constantly call you a thief.

Meat Plow wrote: (X-No-Archive, as done by so many cowards)
I'm a Kubuntu user and an advocate
but to suggest Ubuntu to the OP in this case is idiotic.

That depends on:
1) How broke he is.
(He will probably end up paying M$ for yet another licence.)
2) How much of the M$ Kool-Aid he has drunk.
3) How forward-looking he is. (Vista is tolling M$'s death.)

If he's still tied to some Windows-compatible app[1], well,
in 2007, a huge number of Windoze binaries can run using WINE
--completely eliminating the Microsoft Tax(tm).

If that doesn't work for what he's doing,
he should find a copy of W2000 (no stupid Product Activation)
and run that in a Virtual Machine under Linux.
When (not *IF*) Windoze blows up, just close the Virtual Session.
He'll soon find that not having to constantly reboot the hardware
for all those Windoze ****-ups or for the slightest little tweak
is SO much nicer than the M$ way.
..
..
[1] Running a bootable Knoppix CD
will demonstrate just how many FREE apps are available
to do what you have been doing under Windoze
with non-libre payware.