Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 02:55:07 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

snip
Don't know how many here can say the same, but I really have *not* shaved
since '64. It's one of the activities I gladly left behind. Used to get
ingrown hairs from shaving. Don't miss that at all.

Only shave every other day and use an electric. That does
wonders for the ingrown whisker problem.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry:
Someone posted some SEMs of hand plane blade
edges on the Wreck (rec.woodworking, Rio Lindaers) half a dozen years
ago. It's probably googlable.

Maybe this is it. They're not SEMs, but lots of info/microscopy
pictures on his work sharpening wood plane irons:
Brent Beach’s faqs: http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/jig%20faq.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:47:36 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

That said, the engineering cynic in me suspects that marketing hype takes
over where scientific endeavor leaves off. It'll be a cold day when I pay
the asking price for the current crop of three-blade disposables of any
brand.

I shave with a Gillette Mach 3....three bladed razor. The best damn
shave EVER. I used to use a two bladed jobby...an Atra or Ultra? IIRC.

With a new blade, the two bladed thing would just nick the living hell
out of my neck. This would result in much lost time as toilet paper
was applied to the cuts until they stopped bleeding.

Like you, I thought the three bladed thing was just marketing hype and
wouldn't buy into it. Then Gillette sent me a free sample of their
Mach 3 in the mail, and the first time I shaved with it I was totally
sold. It's THE BEST. I love it and won't ever buy a single or double
blade ever again. The thing does a great shave, the blades last a long
time, and it is very difficult (but not impossible) to nick yourself
with it.

And no, I have no financial relationship with Gillette whatsoever,
just a satisfied customer.

Happy Camper:
Dave

I use the Mach 3 Turbo and really like them although I don't shave
daily, never have. I hate disposables as all I have tried seem like
trying to shave with a cheese grater in comparison. It may well be a
case of different strokes for different folks. Regarding longevity,
apart from the blade edge fatigue issues mentioned elsewhere I would
expect that skin chemistry has a roll to play and also if a maker made
the perfect blade that lasted they might well go out of business quickly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ---- * * * * * * * * --Unknown

The quote is from Berthold Auerbach (February 28, 1812 – February 8,
1882) was a German-Jewish poet and author.

Just thought you might like to know.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 12:18:10 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Steve W." quickly quoth:

I will say one BIG difference I have seen with blade life. I have used a
few different types of shave foams/gels. They all seem to clog the
blades and blade life suffers.
I changed over to using old style shaving soap and a mug. What a
difference. Blades don't clog up, they cut better with a closer shave
and they last a LOT longer.

http://www.classicshaving.com/articl...90351/5693.htm

They have a neat site and an interesting take on the subject.

I buy a $40 Norelco Triple Header electric shaver every decade or so
and they work just fine for me.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:40:57 +0800, "Den"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:06:03 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

I came up with a far better solution in 1984. I stopped shaving and grew a
beard.

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

When Puppy gets a haircut, my beard gets trimmed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I do likewise. I washed the pooch when I was in the shower on the weekend to
save filling the laundry trough......I guess you guys didn't really need to
know that huh.

Puppy has her own baby bath tub on the counter in the bathroom which
she cheerfully steps in to on her own, once it is filled and set in
place. We are still trying to get it clean after my year old grand
daughter used it seven years ago :-)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 04:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Sep 8, 1:40*am, "Den" wrote:

I do likewise. I washed the pooch when I was in the shower on the weekend to
save filling the laundry trough......I guess you guys didn't really need to
know that huh.

My wife had a dog that would tolerate an indoor bath in cold weather
as long as its head was outside the curtain. To make it easier I added
a shower head Y adapter and a kitchen sink spray on a long hose. It
worked so well for washing us, large pots, etc that I took out the
normal shower head and only use the sink spray now. This cut the water
heater electric bill at least in half. The expensive multi-nozzle
sprays do everything EXCEPT shut off when you let go.

Hand showers with the trigger feature used to be readily available but
I haven't seen them lately.

The spray head is easier to put down and pick up if you are seated.
The Rubbermaid step stools work fine as shower seats and may save you
from a fall. I didn't mention this when I worked for a home medical
equipment company, but if you have normal mobility I think the stools
are better than regular shower chairs.

The day the cast came off my foot, I built a bench from cedar 2x4's
notched to fit across the top of the tub, and 1x2 slats attached with
brass screws.

We taught the dog to shake dry ONLY on command rather than in the
hallway. Then it made a funny scene when someone reached out their
hand and asked her to "shake".

Jim Wilkins

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:59:35 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm,
"Denis G." quickly quoth:

Larry:
Someone posted some SEMs of hand plane blade
edges on the Wreck (rec.woodworking, Rio Lindaers) half a dozen years
ago. It's probably googlable.

Maybe this is it. They're not SEMs, but lots of info/microscopy
pictures on his work sharpening wood plane irons:

You're right, it wasn't scanning electron microscopy, just computer
microscopy.

Brent Beach’s faqs: http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/jig%20faq.html

I remember a lot more pics at various resolutions with various
sharpening media and fixtures. That might not have been it. I recall
it including more details of the microscope and software used, but it
was a long time ago. Multiple Internet decades.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 06:18:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:23:57 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

wrote:

I came up with a far better solution in 1984. I stopped shaving and grew a
beard.

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

When Puppy gets a haircut, my beard gets trimmed.

Is that because you show him how it feels when he starts chewing on
your beard, Gerry? "I'll teach your sorry little ass, Puppy!"
(Damn, this is a fun thread.)

Bichon Frise are just like sheep - they just keep getting bigger and
harder to keep matt free. I refuse to give her the show dog "snowball"
look, I keep her recognizable as a dog.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 08:56:49 -0400, Randy Replogle
wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

Mark Rand
RTFM

A 1/2" guide on clippers might even be easier......
RR

I use 3/4"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * ---- * * * * * * * * --Unknown

There are a lot of links on his FAQ page. The images are just
scattered throughout with the text:

Brent Beach’s microscope pictures -- sharpening wood plane blade
edges:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7ADBR%26sa%3DG

More Brent Beach pictures:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7ADBR%26sa%3DG

Sharpening jigs:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...4xE8w=&tbnid=Q
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-08, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Bbwwaaa! Boo hoo. Bawl, snort, snifff ! Harold you just got back and
you let us down already! I
guess we're gonna hafta depend on Kink for answers to tough technical
questions.

Tough for Kink, maybe---easy for me. I have a hunch his reply won't consist
of "don't shave", which is mine.

Don't know how many here can say the same, but I really have *not* shaved
since '64. It's one of the activities I gladly left behind. Used to get
ingrown hairs from shaving. Don't miss that at all.

My last shave was in 1976 IIRC. I was fairly recently married,
and we were at a folk festival up in upstate New York -- and the morning
personal preparation area at the campground was a bit nippy, so I
decided that it was time to go from joined sideburns and mustache to a
full beard. I won't say that I have never touched a razor since, but I
have never *used* one since. :-) And I will agree that I don't miss it
at all -- even though I did not get the ingrown hairs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

snip
Don't know how many here can say the same, but I really have *not* shaved
since '64. It's one of the activities I gladly left behind. Used to
get
ingrown hairs from shaving. Don't miss that at all.

Only shave every other day and use an electric. That does
wonders for the ingrown whisker problem.

I'd have to agree. I had a tendency to shave uphill, not down, and I used a
safety razor (Gem, as I recall). That would cut the whisker below the skin,
then it would turn over and ball up. My beard is quite curly. I recall
pulling out hairs that had grown in a ball and were a half inch long when
uncoiled. Some of them grew quietly for a long time, then they'd get
infected. You'd think I would have learned to shave downhill, but that was
not to be. It was easier to just quit shaving!

My worst time, ever, was while in the National Guard, at camp. I was
required to shave daily, as you might imagine. By the end of two weeks
worth of shaving, my face was a mess.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-08, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[...]

It's nice having those few minutes added to your day as far as I'm
concerned. Besides, I can honestly say I feel like I'm naked without a
beard. I spent a year in machine repair when working at Sperry. I had to
meet with machine reps on occasion, so they wanted me clean shaven (they
could do that then). Worst year of my life. The day I went back to the
shop I quit shaving. Haven't picked up the razor since. Not even sure where
it is, although I think I still have it.

Some folks just look wrong without a beard.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:03:39 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm,
"Denis G." quickly quoth:

[...]

Yeah, that's the one. I recognize the blue aura on the pics as being
the type of microscope he used. You found it. Pretty cool, huh?

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Website Development from A to Z
* --Noah * http://www.diversify.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:39:22 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,

wrote:

Is that because you show him how it feels when he starts chewing on
your beard, Gerry? "I'll teach your sorry little ass, Puppy!"
(Damn, this is a fun thread.)

Bichon Frise are just like sheep - they just keep getting bigger and
harder to keep matt free. I refuse to give her the show dog "snowball"
look, I keep her recognizable as a dog.

A friend has a Bitchen Frisbee, too. He laughs when I call her that.
So, no poodle cut for her, eh?

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:39:51 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,

wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

Mark Rand
RTFM

A 1/2" guide on clippers might even be easier......
RR

I use 3/4"

Damned hippies and your long hair, I swear.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:27:40 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I buy a $40 Norelco Triple Header electric shaver every decade or so
and they work just fine for me.

The batteries on my rechargeable Philips ( Norelco ) have just
died, I bought it at least 5 years before I retired and that will be
13 years ago next month. The replacement Philips does not do
anywhere near as good a job as the motor runs much slower.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Alan" wrote: The batteries on my rechargeable Philips ( Norelco )
have just
died, I bought it at least 5 years before I retired and that will be
13 years ago next month. The replacement Philips does not do
anywhere near as good a job as the motor runs much slower.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Couldn't the batteries be replaced? Have you thrown it away? Is it too
late?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think anyone has mentioned my favorite: a washable electric razor
with foam from a pressure can. Comfortable, close and fast.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19762 wrote:
For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

This naturally asks how can a famous company make such **** product
for so long.

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

From the comments below this Walgreen's descriptor, this razor
sharpening gadget, presently being hawked with TV ads isn't worth ****e.

http://tinyurl.com/5ltlot

Anyone else here olde enough to remember "honing" Gillette blue blades
by rubbing then around the inside of a drinking glass?

And the rush to be the first one in your office to get your hands on
some Wilkenson Sword stainless steel blades when they began to show up
on the left side of the pond?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:05:12 +0800, Alan wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:27:40 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I buy a $40 Norelco Triple Header electric shaver every decade or so
and they work just fine for me.

The batteries on my rechargeable Philips ( Norelco ) have just
died, I bought it at least 5 years before I retired and that will be
13 years ago next month. The replacement Philips does not do
anywhere near as good a job as the motor runs much slower.

They are plain AA Ni-Cads with solder tabs. If you want to mail
order them you have your choice of amp-hour capacities.

A few Torx screws and you are in - I just bought a replacement pack
for a cordless phone, clipped off the plug, and soldered the wire to
the clipped off solder tabs from the old batteries. Might run down a
few minutes faster, but it's only the backup.

Fun part is, they won't sell parts directly, only to an "Authorized
Service Center" - and my old 6886XL lost a head and stripped three
teeth off the drive gear.

I'm about to send Phillips a nice letter - "I'll probably buy a
dozen more shavers over my lifetime, and yours are simple enough to
maintain and repair - But I don't like to throw things out that are
easily fixed and be forced to buy new. If I can't get simple repair
parts when I need them for your shavers I can easily switch brands to
one that I can."

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

Only shave every other day and use an electric. That does
wonders for the ingrown whisker problem.

I'd have to agree. I had a tendency to shave uphill, not down, and I used a
safety razor (Gem, as I recall). That would cut the whisker below the skin,
then it would turn over and ball up. My beard is quite curly. I recall
pulling out hairs that had grown in a ball and were a half inch long when
uncoiled. Some of them grew quietly for a long time, then they'd get
infected. You'd think I would have learned to shave downhill, but that was
not to be. It was easier to just quit shaving!

My worst time, ever, was while in the National Guard, at camp. I was
required to shave daily, as you might imagine. By the end of two weeks
worth of shaving, my face was a mess.

IIRC, some twenty or thirty years ago, the Army started making
exceptions for those with this problem.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Chuckle!

They surely wouldn't have made an exception for me (although I was out long
before that time. Got out in '62). Didn't take me long to wear out my
welcome in that outfit. Company of 128 men------625th MP Company in SLC,
Utah. Still a going concern as far as I know. At the time it was lead by a
bunch of boozers and retards. First soldier was amongst the worst of them.
They got real tired of me and my attitude---and made life less than
comfortable. I put in my six years and departed----much to their delight
(and mine).

Anyone that knows me would likely shake their head in wonder------me----one
of the most dedicated rebels, an MP? :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

Only shave every other day and use an electric. That does
wonders for the ingrown whisker problem.

I'd have to agree. I had a tendency to shave uphill, not down, and I used a
safety razor (Gem, as I recall). That would cut the whisker below the skin,
then it would turn over and ball up. My beard is quite curly. I recall
pulling out hairs that had grown in a ball and were a half inch long when
uncoiled. Some of them grew quietly for a long time, then they'd get
infected. You'd think I would have learned to shave downhill, but that was
not to be. It was easier to just quit shaving!

My worst time, ever, was while in the National Guard, at camp. I was
required to shave daily, as you might imagine. By the end of two weeks
worth of shaving, my face was a mess.

IIRC, some twenty or thirty years ago, the Army started making
exceptions for those with this problem.

Not while I was in. During Basic training in the '70s I had to shave
five times a day to satisfy one of the DIs. I would still have fresh
blood on my face, and the ignorant ******* would claim that I hadn't
shaved. I have plenty of scars on my face from those days.

He was fresh out of DI school, and didn't have a hair on his face.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Not really. I've know several Veterans who were MPs. One of my
neighbors back in the '60s told me about being picked out of his basic
training company and sent to Ft. Rucker before the construction was
finished, to be part of the first group of MPs. He said they were
taking the biggest, orneriest GIs they could find, and if they had been
in a fight or two in basic, it considered a plus. The old boy passed
away in the '70s.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

My worst time, ever, was while in the National Guard, at camp. I was
required to shave daily, as you might imagine. By the end of two weeks
worth of shaving, my face was a mess.

IIRC, some twenty or thirty years ago, the Army started making
exceptions for those with this problem.

Not while I was in. During Basic training in the '70s I had to shave
five times a day to satisfy one of the DIs. I would still have fresh
blood on my face, and the ignorant ******* would claim that I hadn't
shaved. I have plenty of scars on my face from those days.

The problem was more common among the blacks who were enlisting
when I was at Ft. Belvoir as a civilian employee in an R&D lab. I
think that since it was so common, it could be considered racially based
harassment, so they had to start making exceptions.

He was fresh out of DI school, and didn't have a hair on his face.

Of course he didn't. :-)

Not sure whether the exceptions came after basic training was
over, or whether they applied even during basic.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-09-09, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

[ ... ]

My worst time, ever, was while in the National Guard, at camp. I was
required to shave daily, as you might imagine. By the end of two weeks
worth of shaving, my face was a mess.

IIRC, some twenty or thirty years ago, the Army started making
exceptions for those with this problem.

Not while I was in. During Basic training in the '70s I had to shave
five times a day to satisfy one of the DIs. I would still have fresh
blood on my face, and the ignorant ******* would claim that I hadn't
shaved. I have plenty of scars on my face from those days.

The problem was more common among the blacks who were enlisting
when I was at Ft. Belvoir as a civilian employee in an R&D lab. I
think that since it was so common, it could be considered racially based
harassment, so they had to start making exceptions.

They were using that stinking powdered depilatory cream, and didn't
clean it, or the hairs out of the sinks. The guys with Latrine duty had
to scrape it off the fixtures and spend an hour each day cleaning up the
mess. This was during the time there was a lot of racial unrest in the
military, and some were doing their best to start trouble so they could
claim racism.

He was fresh out of DI school, and didn't have a hair on his face.

Of course he didn't. :-)

He was baby faced, and he resented anyone with facial hair. His skin
looked like a teenage girl. His arms were almost hairless, as well.

Not sure whether the exceptions came after basic training was
over, or whether they applied even during basic.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Inspiration: Gillette Castle J. Clarke Woodworking 4 June 14th 07 05:14 PM
off topic Maurice Hood UK diy 5 July 2nd 06 07:56 AM
How can I...... On topic... Searcher Woodworking 19 February 9th 06 04:19 AM
new topic, off topic, about new topics [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 27th 05 02:05 PM