DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/259660-topic-schick-vs-gillette-blades.html)

Ignoramus19762 September 7th 08 04:27 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

This naturally asks how can a famous company make such **** product
for so long.

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Ed Huntress September 7th 08 05:15 PM

"Ignoramus19762" wrote in message
For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

This naturally asks how can a famous company make such **** product
for so long.

It's all in the coatings. Like fancy carbide insert-type cutting tools,
today's razor blades have multiple coatings.

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

'Don't know, but I saw the research department at Gillette years ago, when I
was selling them EDMs, and it was impressive as hell. They really know
what's going on at the blade edge.

--
Ed Huntress

Winston September 7th 08 05:29 PM

Ignoramus19762 wrote:
For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

That's not too bad!

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

Sounds like you got engineering prototypes that were intended for NASA.
Please send the rest of the blades to me for evaluation.

This naturally asks how can a famous company make such **** product
for so long.

I would be very happy to get a month of smooth shaves from a blade.

Most of my cheap drugstore blades are much less durable.
I notice they are *very inconsistent* RWT durability,
compared to the name brand disposables I used in the past.
Ferinstance, I recorded Time Before Failure on my blades over the last
~four months. 'Failure' is one or more nicks per shave.

It was a very geeky thing to do, but there you are.

Here are the rough numbers (Use Courier):

Duration
Blade Days

1 10
2 11
3 32
4 3
5 58
6 7
7 16 and counting

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

Similar effects have been recorded befo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon

--Winston

Todd Rich September 7th 08 05:43 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

Ignoramus19762 wrote:
(snip)
But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

It isn't the hair, it is the moisture that damages the cutting edge. Dry
them off quickly and completely and they will last much longer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,936147.story

http://www.websitement-tm.com/z_webs...lade-Dryer.asp

David Merrill September 7th 08 05:47 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

I once visited the R&D department at Gillette's competitor -- same thing
really serious scientific investigation. An interesting insight was that
metal fatigue plays a part in a razor's edge breakdown. Consider that,
while the whisker may be relatively soft, it still requires force to drive a
blade through it, probably at a slight angle that produces a force component
at right angles to the plane of the blade, thus creating a local bending
stress. And that bit of the blade edge experiences that cutting force
thousands of times (thousands of whisker stubs) per each stroke of the
razor.

That said, the engineering cynic in me suspects that marketing hype takes
over where scientific endeavor leaves off. It'll be a cold day when I pay
the asking price for the current crop of three-blade disposables of any
brand.

Having read a thought provoking article on the micromechanics of metal
corrosion in Science News magazine some years ago, I formed the habit of
stropping my Schick twin-blade disposable razors on a terrycloth
towel/washcloth just before each shave followed by a few more strokes on the
strop during the course of each shave -- just like a wood carver with his
fine chisels. My observation was that it increased the tolerable life of
the blades from a couple of weeks to a couple of months and the cutting
sensation remained smooth right up until the point where the total cutting
force reached the point where I discarded the razor.

David Merrill

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

snip...

Ignoramus19762 September 7th 08 06:12 PM

On 2008-09-07, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus19762 wrote:
For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

That's not too bad!

I thought so too.

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

Sounds like you got engineering prototypes that were intended for NASA.
Please send the rest of the blades to me for evaluation.

Just buy a set of them at your local Walgreens. Should be about $7.95
for a set of four.

[...]

Nice approach.

Ignoramus19762 September 7th 08 06:13 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

By the way...

The blades in question are called Schick Quattro.

TwoGuns September 7th 08 06:40 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sep 7, 12:13*pm, Ignoramus19762 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19762.invalid wrote:
By the way...

The blades in question are called Schick Quattro.

When Schick came out with the Quattro I bought one instead of buying
replacement blades for my old Gillette Mach3.
I used the Quattro one time because my old blade in the Mach3 gave a
closer shave after a month than the NEW Quattro. Even when Gillette
came out with their new five blade razor I prefer my old Mach 3.

Dennis

Wild_Bill September 7th 08 08:07 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

I'm fairly certain that acid in skin oil would have a detrimental effect on
the edge of a razor.
The pH levels may change from morning to nite, day to day, etc.

The acidic levels are very likely to differ greatly among individuals.
Consider that some folks finger oil acids etch metals very quickly and
considerably deeply into the surface of metal parts.
Then again, some individuals' finger oils aren't very acidic at all.

A dermatology newsgroup may be more appropriate, where you can also
spread/post all your political bull****.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Ignoramus19762" wrote in message
For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

This naturally asks how can a famous company make such **** product
for so long.

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

--
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their
inattention

Harold and Susan Vordos September 7th 08 08:58 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

"Ignoramus19762" wrote in message
snip---

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

Heh!

You'll have to rely on input from others on this one. I haven't put a razor
to my face since 1964. I don't have a clue about razors.

Harold

Mark Rand September 7th 08 09:06 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

19762.invalid wrote:
By the way...

The blades in question are called Schick Quattro.

When Schick came out with the Quattro I bought one instead of buying
replacement blades for my old Gillette Mach3.
I used the Quattro one time because my old blade in the Mach3 gave a
closer shave after a month than the NEW Quattro. Even when Gillette
came out with their new five blade razor I prefer my old Mach 3.

Dennis

I came up with a far better solution in 1984. I stopped shaving and grew a
beard.

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

Mark Rand
RTFM

RAM³ September 7th 08 11:54 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

Ignoramus19762 wrote in
:

For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

You only shave once a month?

When it comes to the disposables, I usually need 2 of them for a single
shave.

The only ones that I've ever found that were good for more than 3 were the
original Wilkinson Sword blades that ignited the "Razor Blade War" of the
mid-60s.

The ones that they sell today are no better than the others and, at best,
are only good for 3 times at most.

For the money, I've stuck with the Gillete Super-Blue blades.

FWIW, the local barber has to spend an inordinate amount of time stropping
his razor whenever I treat myself to one of his shaves. For a while he'd
tried using a razor with replaceable blades but complained about having to
change blades twice. grin

Denis G. September 8th 08 12:00 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

Another “razor blade” thread:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7ADBR%26sa%3DN

Tip of insulin syringe:
http://www.bddiabetes.com/us/main.aspx?cat=1&id=266

Also from the web:
http://pwatlas.mt.umist.ac.uk/intern...-razor_z1.html
(I remember seeing more dramatic SEMs of blade edges from somewhere in
my past.)

Robert Swinney September 8th 08 12:45 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

Bbwwaaa! Boo hoo. Bawl, snort, snifff ! Harold you just got back and you let us down already! I
guess we're gonna hafta depend on Kink for answers to tough technical questions.

Bob Swinney
. net...

Joseph Gwinn September 8th 08 12:48 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

In article ,
Todd Rich wrote:

(snip)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...-1104nov04,0,9
36147.story

http://www.websitement-tm.com/z_webs...lade-Dryer.asp

I just smack the razor (Gillette 2-blade) shaply against the heel of my
palm twice to knock the water out, and store the razor with blade edges
up, so they will drain and dry immediately. It seems to make a big
difference.

I suppose a RCMer should pipe compressed air to the bathroom, for use in
blowing the razor dry.

Joe Gwinn

Grant Erwin September 8th 08 12:55 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

Personally, like Admiral Bull Halsey, I shave with a blowtorch. :-)

Leo Lichtman September 8th 08 01:33 AM

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Personally, like Admiral Bull Halsey, I shave with a blowtorch. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nobody but a logger drives them in with a hammer, and bites them off inside.

Grumpy September 8th 08 02:15 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

Personally, like Admiral Bull Halsey, I shave with a blowtorch. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nobody but a logger drives them in with a hammer, and bites them off
inside.

OK ,I guess us Assie have just dropped down one notch on the bull****ers
ladder!

Gerald Miller September 8th 08 02:23 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:06:03 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

I came up with a far better solution in 1984. I stopped shaving and grew a
beard.

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

When Puppy gets a haircut, my beard gets trimmed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

[email protected] September 8th 08 03:01 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 16:47:36 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

That said, the engineering cynic in me suspects that marketing hype takes
over where scientific endeavor leaves off. It'll be a cold day when I pay
the asking price for the current crop of three-blade disposables of any
brand.

I shave with a Gillette Mach 3....three bladed razor. The best damn
shave EVER. I used to use a two bladed jobby...an Atra or Ultra? IIRC.

With a new blade, the two bladed thing would just nick the living hell
out of my neck. This would result in much lost time as toilet paper
was applied to the cuts until they stopped bleeding.

Like you, I thought the three bladed thing was just marketing hype and
wouldn't buy into it. Then Gillette sent me a free sample of their
Mach 3 in the mail, and the first time I shaved with it I was totally
sold. It's THE BEST. I love it and won't ever buy a single or double
blade ever again. The thing does a great shave, the blades last a long
time, and it is very difficult (but not impossible) to nick yourself
with it.

And no, I have no financial relationship with Gillette whatsoever,
just a satisfied customer.

Happy Camper:
Dave

Art Hardy September 8th 08 03:41 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

When Schick came out with the Quattro I bought one instead of buying
replacement blades for my old Gillette Mach3.
I used the Quattro one time because my old blade in the Mach3 gave a
closer shave after a month than the NEW Quattro. Even when Gillette
came out with their new five blade razor I prefer my old Mach 3.

Dennis

I'll second that one the Mach 3, I even notice the differance bettween them
and the disposable gillette 3 blade. Also I was watching Modern Marvles
"Sharp Things" or something like that and they said that cutting through
human beard hair is almost the equivalent of cutting through copper. I'm not
saying it's a fact, Just saying what I heard.

Harold and Susan Vordos September 8th 08 03:55 AM

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
Bbwwaaa! Boo hoo. Bawl, snort, snifff ! Harold you just got back and
you let us down already! I
guess we're gonna hafta depend on Kink for answers to tough technical
questions.

Tough for Kink, maybe---easy for me. I have a hunch his reply won't consist
of "don't shave", which is mine.

Don't know how many here can say the same, but I really have *not* shaved
since '64. It's one of the activities I gladly left behind. Used to get
ingrown hairs from shaving. Don't miss that at all.

Harold

Gerald Miller September 8th 08 04:17 AM

wrote:

[...]

I switched to the Trac II when it first came out and have used it
since. I tried the Mach 3 sample and nearly needed a transfusion. Of
course I only shave around my mouth and lower neck about three
times/week so I get better mileage than most.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

RAM³ September 8th 08 05:11 AM

"Art Hardy" wrote in :

When Schick came out with the Quattro I bought one instead of buying
replacement blades for my old Gillette Mach3.
I used the Quattro one time because my old blade in the Mach3 gave a
closer shave after a month than the NEW Quattro. Even when Gillette
came out with their new five blade razor I prefer my old Mach 3.

Dennis

I'll second that one the Mach 3, I even notice the differance bettween
them and the disposable gillette 3 blade. Also I was watching Modern
Marvles "Sharp Things" or something like that and they said that
cutting through human beard hair is almost the equivalent of cutting
through copper. I'm not saying it's a fact, Just saying what I heard.

I used to know a barber who'd agree with that.

He used to go through 2 new replaceable-blade straight-razor blades giving
me just 1 shave.

He never could figure out why that was, especially since my beard wasn't
all that thick.

Ignoramus19762 September 8th 08 06:15 AM

On 2008-09-08, wrote:
Like you, I thought the three bladed thing was just marketing hype and
wouldn't buy into it. Then Gillette sent me a free sample of their
Mach 3 in the mail, and the first time I shaved with it I was totally
sold. It's THE BEST. I love it and won't ever buy a single or double
blade ever again. The thing does a great shave, the blades last a long
time, and it is very difficult (but not impossible) to nick yourself
with it.

Like you, I thought that Gillette Mach 3 was THE BEST.

Guess what I think now after having tried Schick Quattro.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Den[_3_] September 8th 08 06:40 AM

wrote:

I came up with a far better solution in 1984. I stopped shaving and grew a
beard.

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

When Puppy gets a haircut, my beard gets trimmed.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I do likewise. I washed the pooch when I was in the shower on the weekend to
save filling the laundry trough......I guess you guys didn't really need to
know that huh.

[email protected] September 8th 08 11:31 AM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sep 7, 5:27*am, Ignoramus19762 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19762.invalid wrote:
For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

Then, in March, I received a set of two disposable Schick blades. I am
still on my first one, after half a year, and it shows no signs of
getting any worse.

So the schick one, must be using a much better steel than
Gillette. The difference is spectacular.

This naturally asks how can a famous company make such **** product
for so long.

But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

--
* *Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
* * * to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
* * * *from Google Groups. If you want your postings to be seen by
* * * * *more readers you will need to find a different means of
* * * * * * * * * * * *posting on Usenet.
* * * * * * * * * *http://improve-usenet.org/

Some show on tv said it was the same hardness as copper wire. I don't
think I believe that but it is pretty tough.
Karl

[email protected] September 8th 08 11:42 AM

wrote:
[...]

I use the Mach 3 for the parts of my face not covered with a beard. I
agree, it's the best I've used.
Karl

Jim Wilkins September 8th 08 12:04 PM

On Sep 8, 1:40*am, "Den" wrote:

I do likewise. I washed the pooch when I was in the shower on the weekend to
save filling the laundry trough......I guess you guys didn't really need to
know that huh.

My wife had a dog that would tolerate an indoor bath in cold weather
as long as its head was outside the curtain. To make it easier I added
a shower head Y adapter and a kitchen sink spray on a long hose. It
worked so well for washing us, large pots, etc that I took out the
normal shower head and only use the sink spray now. This cut the water
heater electric bill at least in half. The expensive multi-nozzle
sprays do everything EXCEPT shut off when you let go.

The spray head is easier to put down and pick up if you are seated.
The Rubbermaid step stools work fine as shower seats and may save you
from a fall. I didn't mention this when I worked for a home medical
equipment company, but if you have normal mobility I think the stools
are better than regular shower chairs.

We taught the dog to shake dry ONLY on command rather than in the
hallway. Then it made a funny scene when someone reached out their
hand and asked her to "shake".

Jim Wilkins

Randy Replogle September 8th 08 01:56 PM

Mark Rand wrote:

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

Mark Rand
RTFM

A 1/2" guide on clippers might even be easier......
RR

Larry Jaques September 8th 08 02:01 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 22:54:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "RAM³"
quickly quoth:

Ignoramus19762 wrote in
m:

For a long time, I used Gillette blades (replaceable blades). They
would normally become impossible to use after about a month.

You only shave once a month?

When it comes to the disposables, I usually need 2 of them for a single
shave.

Condolences, furball. ;) I can shave with an electric in 30 seconds,
or about a minute during a hot shower. I love my lack of facial fur,
TYVM.

The only ones that I've ever found that were good for more than 3 were the
original Wilkinson Sword blades that ignited the "Razor Blade War" of the
mid-60s.

The ones that they sell today are no better than the others and, at best,
are only good for 3 times at most.

For the money, I've stuck with the Gillete Super-Blue blades.

FWIW, the local barber has to spend an inordinate amount of time stropping
his razor whenever I treat myself to one of his shaves. For a while he'd
tried using a razor with replaceable blades but complained about having to
change blades twice. grin

What, ya got stainless fur on your face? I can go a dozen or two
rounds with a BIC throwaway before it's dull from my tiny bit of fur.

I like my ultra-fine diamond hone for my utility blades. They don't
come very well sharpened from the factory, so I lap 'em a bit before
even using them, then a few more times a month. The 100-pack I bought
at HF may well last me a lifetime.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown

Larry Jaques September 8th 08 02:14 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:00:36 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor qualm,
"Denis G." quickly quoth:

Another “razor blade” thread:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...7ADBR%26sa%3DN

From the "1. If you don't mind, shave without using any water. This
is easier on the environment and will wake you up faster."

Mega freakin' OUCH! (Thanks, I'm wide awake before my feet even hit
the floor.)

Also from the web:
http://pwatlas.mt.umist.ac.uk/intern...-razor_z1.html
(I remember seeing more dramatic SEMs of blade edges from somewhere in
my past.)

That's a cool site. Someone posted some SEMs of hand plane blade
edges on the Wreck (rec.woodworking, Rio Lindaers) half a dozen years
ago. It's probably googlable.

Larry Jaques September 8th 08 02:15 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:48:44 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Joseph Gwinn quickly quoth:

In article ,
Todd Rich wrote:

Ignoramus19762 wrote:
(snip)
But besides this, what is it in human hair that dulls hard steel
blades? I thought that hair was a soft material.

It isn't the hair, it is the moisture that damages the cutting edge. Dry
them off quickly and completely and they will last much longer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...-1104nov04,0,9
36147.story

http://www.websitement-tm.com/z_webs...lade-Dryer.asp

I just smack the razor (Gillette 2-blade) shaply against the heel of my
palm twice to knock the water out, and store the razor with blade edges
up, so they will drain and dry immediately. It seems to make a big
difference.

I suppose a RCMer should pipe compressed air to the bathroom, for use in
blowing the razor dry.

It could also be used to vent certain odors out the bathroom window,
or to air-squeegee the shower walls dry. Excellent idea, Joe.

Larry Jaques September 8th 08 02:16 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:33:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Personally, like Admiral Bull Halsey, I shave with a blowtorch. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nobody but a logger drives them in with a hammer, and bites them off inside.

humming
I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...

Larry Jaques September 8th 08 02:18 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:23:57 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

wrote:

I came up with a far better solution in 1984. I stopped shaving and grew a
beard.

Needs trimming every three months with the kitchen scissors.

When Puppy gets a haircut, my beard gets trimmed.

Is that because you show him how it feels when he starts chewing on
your beard, Gerry? "I'll teach your sorry little ass, Puppy!"
(Damn, this is a fun thread.)

Den[_3_] September 8th 08 02:23 PM

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Sep 8, 1:40 am, "Den" wrote:

[...]

That'd sure get some odd looks ;)

Michael A. Terrell September 8th 08 03:32 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 00:33:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Personally, like Admiral Bull Halsey, I shave with a blowtorch. :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nobody but a logger drives them in with a hammer, and bites them off inside.

humming
I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...

Watch it! Tom'll get ya for that!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Shawn September 8th 08 05:15 PM

[...]

SNL once did a good commercial parody called the Platinum Mach 14, 14
blades, quite funny.

Shawn

Steve W.[_2_] September 8th 08 05:18 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 16:00:36 -0700 (PDT), with neither quill nor
qualm, "Denis G." quickly quoth:

From the "1. If you don't mind, shave without using any water.
This is easier on the environment and will wake you up faster."

Mega freakin' OUCH! (Thanks, I'm wide awake before my feet even hit
the floor.)

Also from the web:
http://pwatlas.mt.umist.ac.uk/intern...-razor_z1.html
(I remember seeing more dramatic SEMs of blade edges from
somewhere in my past.)

That's a cool site. Someone posted some SEMs of hand plane blade
edges on the Wreck (rec.woodworking, Rio Lindaers) half a dozen years
ago. It's probably googlable.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ----
--Unknown

I will say one BIG difference I have seen with blade life. I have used a
few different types of shave foams/gels. They all seem to clog the
blades and blade life suffers.
I changed over to using old style shaving soap and a mug. What a
difference. Blades don't clog up, they cut better with a closer shave
and they last a LOT longer.

http://www.classicshaving.com/articl...90351/5693.htm

They have a neat site and an interesting take on the subject.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!

Steve Lusardi September 8th 08 06:00 PM

On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

I completely agree. NEVER use those shaving creams or gels. Only use soap. I
will guarantee twice the number of shaves per blade. Wash your face once
with soap, then apply more soap and shave. A previous responder talked about
the acid in the skin oil, this resolves it. Remember, it is the blade
manufacturers that make that stuff and it is not in their interest to
preserve the duration of the blade.
Steve