Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default On topic -- Schick vs. Gillette blades

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 00:05:12 +0800, Alan wrote:
On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 17:27:40 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

I buy a $40 Norelco Triple Header electric shaver every decade or so
and they work just fine for me.

The batteries on my rechargeable Philips ( Norelco ) have just
died, I bought it at least 5 years before I retired and that will be
13 years ago next month. The replacement Philips does not do
anywhere near as good a job as the motor runs much slower.

They are plain AA Ni-Cads with solder tabs. If you want to mail
order them you have your choice of amp-hour capacities.

A few Torx screws and you are in - I just bought a replacement pack
for a cordless phone, clipped off the plug, and soldered the wire to
the clipped off solder tabs from the old batteries. Might run down a
few minutes faster, but it's only the backup.

Fun part is, they won't sell parts directly, only to an "Authorized
Service Center" - and my old 6886XL lost a head and stripped three
teeth off the drive gear.

I'm about to send Phillips a nice letter - "I'll probably buy a
dozen more shavers over my lifetime, and yours are simple enough to
maintain and repair - But I don't like to throw things out that are
easily fixed and be forced to buy new. If I can't get simple repair
parts when I need them for your shavers I can easily switch brands to
one that I can."

-- Bruce --