Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Alcohol as cutting fluid?

Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once heard
that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful finish that
resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is how the shiny solid
aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info on it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 4, 3:12*pm, "anorton" wrote:
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. *I once heard
that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful finish that
resists corrosion. *In fact the rumor was that this is how the shiny solid
aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info on it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

Don't know about alcohol but there are other refrigerant type cutting
fluids that will leave a very nice finish on aluminum. Downside is
that untreated "shiny" aluminum isn't going to stay that way unless
undisturbed, no handling. It'll have a very thin film of oxide on
it. Good for telescope mirrors, not so great for knobs and hubcaps.
Any home electronic aluminum trim parts I've seen have been either
lacquered or anodyzed. Anodyzing isn't likely to give you a mirror
finish, part of the process involves etching the surface in some
rather nasty caustic chemicals to remove any oxide or other
contaminants before the process starts. No shiny surface from that.
So it's likely your knobs are either lacquered or clear powdercoated.

One problem with using alcohol would be that you'd end up with
flammable vapor in your workshop. One spark and you'd be baked.
Other aluminum cutting fluids may give you liver cancer but they won't
blow you up!

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I hesitate to post this, as there is some danger involved, not so
much to the machinist as to the people around him, but
trichloroethelene and carbon tetrachloride work well for
machining aluminum. These are nonflammable but toxic, (carbon
tetrachloride more so than trichloroethelene). These fumes are
heavy and may build up to dangerous concentrations at floor level
thus presenting a danger to small children or pets [birds very
succiptible]. These can also get sucked into a living space from
a workshop.

These will defat your skin and cause problems if you are not
careful.

Never the less, both liquids work very well as coolants on
aluminum, and are available in many areas in pint containers at
the hardware store. A small quantity of a good quality vegetable
oil added to the carbon tet or trichloro such as olive oil will
produce even better results. The old tap magic seems to have
been a mixture of trichloro and a light oil.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Tric...hylene-9927416

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/msds/CA/car...achloride.html

Good luck and let the group know how you make out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:12:19 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

[...]

Greetings George,
Have you used trichlor on aluminum? Because I have and it's not
pretty. Trichlor attacks aluminum. If you wipe with a wet rag it keeps
coming away black from the aluminum being eaten off. And tapped holes
will corrode badly.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee writes:

Never the less, both liquids [CCl4] work very well as coolants on
aluminum, and are available in many areas in pint containers at
the hardware store.

Heheheh. Please tell me where this hardware store is in 2008 that has CCl4
in stock. That would be an EPA felony. Worse ozone depletion potential
than R-12, and a carcinogen besides.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once heard
that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful finish that
resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is how the shiny solid
aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info on it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

Dont know how alcohol goes but I've always used kerosine for maching and
threading using hand tools.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 4, 5:12 pm, "anorton" wrote:
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once heard
that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful finish that
resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is how the shiny solid
aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info on it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

Wikipedia does mention rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) as an aluminum
cutting fluid.

I don't endorse using wiki as a be-all and end-all source, but it is
useful for turning up tidbits to be fleshed out via more reliable
sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting..._and_pas t.29

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once
heard that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful
finish that resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is
how the shiny solid aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info
on it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

One shop I worked in used denatured in a spray bottle for 1/4" and
smaller endmills cutting pockets with carbide.
For cooling though, not cutting. Spray misters created too much local
weather.
Another benefit is chip clearing - no sticky coolant holding the chips.
my 2 cents

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AW: Alcohol as cutting fluid?

trichloroethelene and carbon tetrachloride work well for
machining aluminum.

Hi
when I started metalwork in the 70s the apprentices job was to wash down

soot and oil from sections of profiles.There was a old oildrum in the
backyard with
a sheetmetal lid on, filled with trichloroethelene -"tri" it was called
and a common
thing to use. No fire hazard, and it can solve incredible amounts of
oil and
grease. It leaves the skin white and dry. Somehow everybody knew itīs
not the
proper way to do it, but it worked well. Iīm glad those days are gone!
What stopped the use was this interesting effect: put tri near the
bright light of
your welders arc, and it develops Phosgen.Thatīs a WW1 chemical weapon
and you dont want it in your workshop. Many years later Tri got
restricted to heavily
monitored closed systhems for de-greasing in powdercoating etc
Saying the stuff works well sounds like advocating the use of mercury
in
silver-plating (or making hats)
mad as a hatter
ed wolf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"e. w." wrote:

What stopped the use was this interesting effect: put tri near the
bright light of
your welders arc, and it develops Phosgen.Thatīs a WW1 chemical weapon
and you dont want it in your workshop.

I think tri chlor getting in the water table might have had some impact on how it is not
restricted. We are just getting approval to remove the carbon filtration units from our
facility that have been treating ground water for many years.

Tap Magic hasn't been the same since the removal though.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 01:35:47 -0500, Richard J Kinch wrote:

F. George McDuffee writes:

Never the less, both liquids [CCl4] work very well as coolants on
aluminum, and are available in many areas in pint containers at
the hardware store.

Heheheh. Please tell me where this hardware store is in 2008 that has CCl4
in stock. That would be an EPA felony. Worse ozone depletion potential
than R-12, and a carcinogen besides.

Got to any school or public transport bus and empty the driver's fire
extinguisher into your handy collecting bucket....

No, Hang on. That was 40 years ago :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On tue, 5 aug 2008 20:11:33 +0200, "e. w."
wrote:

trichloroethelene and carbon tetrachloride work well for
machining aluminum.

Hi
when I started metalwork in the 70s the apprentices job was to wash down

soot and oil from sections of profiles.There was a old oildrum in the
backyard with
a sheetmetal lid on, filled with trichloroethelene -"tri" it was called
and a common
thing to use. No fire hazard, and it can solve incredible amounts of
oil and
grease. It leaves the skin white and dry. Somehow everybody knew itīs
not the
proper way to do it, but it worked well. Iīm glad those days are gone!
What stopped the use was this interesting effect: put tri near the
bright light of
your welders arc, and it develops Phosgen.

It does that going through the gas fired oven in the lab. trailer,
makes a cigarette taste like ****, this effect lasts for about eight
hours - nearly enough to make you quit smoking! I'm probably lucky to
have survived. Also works great as a paint stripper.

Thatīs a WW1 chemical weapon
and you dont want it in your workshop. Many years later Tri got
restricted to heavily
monitored closed systhems for de-greasing in powdercoating etc
Saying the stuff works well sounds like advocating the use of mercury
in
silver-plating (or making hats)
mad as a hatter
ed wolf

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once heard
that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful finish that
resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is how the shiny solid
aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info on
it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

Thanks for all the responses.

I was mainly interested in the alleged claim that alcohol as a cutting fluid
will leave an aluminum surface resistant to corrosion. I am an optical
engineer and am always looking for manufacturing techniques that may be
useful for ultra-precise optical mounts and assemblies. There are times when
anodize is not an ideal surface finish for such things.

In any case it seems like if there is any truth to this rumor, it is not
common process. I may have to try the experiment myself.

-Adam Norton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
[...]

Tap Magic used to contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane, not 1.1.1 trichlorethylene. The latter is also
known as perchloroethylene or dry cleaning fluid. This is still available as Carbosolv at my local
hardware store. I have a couple of gallons of trichloroethane stashed away to be used sparingly for
things that require it. KPR thinner is one use.........Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "catguy" wrote:

Tap Magic used to contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane, not 1.1.1 trichlorethylene.
The latter is also
known as perchloroethylene or dry cleaning fluid. This is still available as
Carbosolv at my local
hardware store. I have a couple of gallons of trichloroethane stashed away to
be used sparingly for
things that require it. KPR thinner is one use.........Paul

Where is this "local hardware store" at which perchloroethylene is still
available?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

==============
Just received an email from someone what been there and done
that, a regular reader that can no longer post. Thanks for the
straight skinny.

--------- email follows ----------
George,

I am unable to post to RCM due to a problem with my ISP. I can
read, just not post.

You have it wrong. Trichloroethylene is not the solvent used
for machining. What you're thinking of is 1,1,1,
trichloroethane-----which was the active ingredient in Tap Magic
and other tapping solutions at one time. They were NOT
recommended for aluminum, nor should they be used on aluminum. It
requires a different formulation to avoid corrosion.

I am very familiar with the use of the chloroethane I mentioned.
It used to be used in the sumps of our turret lathes along with
cutting oil when I worked at Sperry.

Thought you might like to know.

Harold Vordos

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"catguy" wrote in message

[...]

There's no such substance as 1,1,1 trichloroethylene, trichloroethylene has
only one isomer and that's 1,1,2 trichloroethylene.

Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "catguy"
wrote:

Tap Magic used to contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane, not 1.1.1 trichlorethylene.
The latter is also
known as perchloroethylene or dry cleaning fluid. This is still available as
Carbosolv at my local
hardware store. I have a couple of gallons of trichloroethane stashed away to
be used sparingly for
things that require it. KPR thinner is one use.........Paul

Where is this "local hardware store" at which perchloroethylene is still
available?

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

msds http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdf/msds864.pdf
front of can http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol1.jpg
warning on back http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol2.jpg
sales receipt http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol3.jpg

PS: I was wrong on the spelling. It' Carbo-Sol, no v.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Whybrow" wrote in message
snip some stuff
Tap Magic used to contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane, not 1.1.1 trichlorethylene. The latter is also
known as perchloroethylene or dry cleaning fluid. This is still available as Carbosolv at my
local hardware store. I have a couple of gallons of trichloroethane stashed away to be used
sparingly for things that require it. KPR thinner is one use.........Paul
There's no such substance as 1,1,1 trichloroethylene, trichloroethylene has only one isomer and
that's 1,1,2 trichloroethylene.

Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

I stand corrected. I was taken in by the hundreds of google hits on it......Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-08-06, catguy wrote:

[ ... ]

Tap Magic used to contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane, not 1.1.1 trichlorethylene. The latter is also
known as perchloroethylene or dry cleaning fluid. This is still available as Carbosolv at my local
hardware store. I have a couple of gallons of trichloroethane stashed away to be used sparingly for
things that require it. KPR thinner is one use.........Paul

KPR developer is another.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 4, 10:13 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Tap Magic Original is 90% 1,1,1 trichloroethylene. There are several
trichloroethylenes, and I don't think it's the 1,1,1 that you can't buy.

--
Ed Huntress

Lockheed phased out the use of 1,1,1 trichoroethane about 12 years ago
and went to a orange peel based solvent.
The mechanics did not like the change as trich is a excellent solvent
in many ways, but not good for your health.
I doubt if it is readily available now.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "catguy" wrote:

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

msds http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdf/msds864.pdf
front of can http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol1.jpg
warning on back http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol2.jpg
sales receipt http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol3.jpg

Bizarre that you can find it in California... and I can't in Indiana.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:51:52 -0700, "catguy"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "catguy"
wrote:

[...]

================
Thanks for posting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Aug 4, 10:13 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

Tap Magic Original is 90% 1,1,1 trichloroethylene. There are several
trichloroethylenes, and I don't think it's the 1,1,1 that you can't buy.

--
Ed Huntress

Lockheed phased out the use of 1,1,1 trichoroethane about 12 years ago
and went to a orange peel based solvent.
The mechanics did not like the change as trich is a excellent solvent
in many ways, but not good for your health.
I doubt if it is readily available now.

Dan

Yup, I see that I made an error that a couple of people pointed out here,
confusing trichloroethylene with trichlorethane. The hell of it is, I
remember correcting that mistake in an article I was editing, which had been
written by someone else, almost 30 years ago. g

[If there are any misspellings here, I plead partial blindness, just having
had laser eye surgery two hours ago. I'm still half blind.]

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

msds http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdf/msds864.pdf
front of can http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol1.jpg
warning on back http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol2.jpg
sales receipt http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol3.jpg

Bizarre that you can find it in California... and I can't in Indiana.

To tell you the truth, I am suprised that they still have it. The same store also has MEK. I didn't
see the ban on 1,1,1 trichloroethane coming and did not stock up on it. It was a standard item for
IBM techs to carry....Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 1:30*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

The internet- spell-checker and automated mother-in-law, is there
anything it can't do?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "catguy" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "catguy"
wrote:

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

msds http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdf/msds864.pdf
front of can http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol1.jpg
warning on back http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol2.jpg
sales receipt http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol3.jpg

Bizarre that you can find it in California... and I can't in Indiana.

To tell you the truth, I am suprised that they still have it. The same store
also has MEK. I didn't
see the ban on 1,1,1 trichloroethane coming and did not stock up on it. It was
a standard item for
IBM techs to carry....Paul

I wonder if that store takes phone orders and is willing to ship to Indiana...

Is it an independent retailer, or part of a chain?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

msds http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdf/msds864.pdf
front of can http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol1.jpg
warning on back http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol2.jpg
sales receipt http://www.packratpaul.com/CarboSol/carbosol3.jpg

Bizarre that you can find it in California... and I can't in Indiana.

To tell you the truth, I am suprised that they still have it. The same store
also has MEK. I didn't
see the ban on 1,1,1 trichloroethane coming and did not stock up on it. It was
a standard item for
IBM techs to carry....Paul

I wonder if that store takes phone orders and is willing to ship to Indiana...

Is it an independent retailer, or part of a chain?

They used to be a True Value Hardware. I'm not sure if they are part of a chain now. I don't buy
much from them as their prices aren't low. The gallon of Carb-Sol weighs 13+ lbs. It's hazard class
6.1 as per DOT. This might be you best bet. The where to buy page from Sunnyside
http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/where_to_buy_r.html ......Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carno-sol

catguy wrote:

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

PS: I was wrong on the spelling. It' Carbo-Sol, no v.

If you really like the stuff, you might want to go back & grab some
more. From the Sunnyside site:

"Where can I buy Carbo-Sol?
Carbo-Sol was discontinued in January, 2006 because of changes in air
pollution regulations in California and other states. ..."

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
catguy wrote:

Ok-Just for you(actually for me too), I bought a gallon today......Paul

PS: I was wrong on the spelling. It' Carbo-Sol, no v.

If you really like the stuff, you might want to go back & grab some more. From the Sunnyside
site:

"Where can I buy Carbo-Sol?
Carbo-Sol was discontinued in January, 2006 because of changes in air pollution regulations in
California and other states. ..."

Bob

Interesting, it's supposed to have very little effect on the ozone layer. Of course that never
stopped the Kalifornica govmnt from "proctecting us". This particular store will probably have the
two cans on their shelf forever. They never have closeout or discontinued item sales any more.

I use the common solvents for most things these days. Carb cleaner from Wallys is cheap and works
pretty good.......Paul