Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
W. Stief W. Stief is offline

Default Alcohol as cutting fluid?

anorton wrote:
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once
heard that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful
finish that resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is
how the shiny solid aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info
on it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

One shop I worked in used denatured in a spray bottle for 1/4" and
smaller endmills cutting pockets with carbide.
For cooling though, not cutting. Spray misters created too much local
weather.
Another benefit is chip clearing - no sticky coolant holding the chips.
my 2 cents