Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
catguy catguy is offline

Default Alcohol as cutting fluid?

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
I hesitate to post this, as there is some danger involved, not so
much to the machinist as to the people around him, but
trichloroethelene and carbon tetrachloride work well for
machining aluminum. These are nonflammable but toxic, (carbon
tetrachloride more so than trichloroethelene). These fumes are
heavy and may build up to dangerous concentrations at floor level
thus presenting a danger to small children or pets [birds very
succiptible]. These can also get sucked into a living space from
a workshop.

These will defat your skin and cause problems if you are not
careful.

Never the less, both liquids work very well as coolants on
aluminum, and are available in many areas in pint containers at
the hardware store. A small quantity of a good quality vegetable
oil added to the carbon tet or trichloro such as olive oil will
produce even better results. The old tap magic seems to have
been a mixture of trichloro and a light oil.

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Tric...hylene-9927416

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/msds/CA/car...achloride.html

Good luck and let the group know how you make out.

Tap Magic used to contain 1.1.1 trichloroethane, not 1.1.1 trichlorethylene. The latter is also
known as perchloroethylene or dry cleaning fluid. This is still available as Carbosolv at my local
hardware store. I have a couple of gallons of trichloroethane stashed away to be used sparingly for
things that require it. KPR thinner is one use.........Paul