Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Geoff Schultz

Default Cutting Fluid for Stainless Steel

I need to mill a slot in some 1/8" 316 stainless steel and was wondering what
I should be using for a cutting fluid. I'm planning on using a 3/8" cobalt
coated roughing end mill.

-- Geoff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...

I need to mill a slot in some 1/8" 316 stainless steel and was wondering
what
I should be using for a cutting fluid. I'm planning on using a 3/8"
cobalt
coated roughing end mill.

-- Geoff

Harveys #5 works great and its only $9.00 a gallon, it's a petrolium based
high sulphur
cutting fluid. Slowest possible rpm with constant pressure will get the job
done.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Westlube is pretty good stuff...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Nihil curo de ista tua
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : stulta superstitione...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ace

If you are only doing one slot one time....and if the slot is relatively
short, then you can get by without any cutting fluid.
Just reduce speed and feed accordingly. A 3/8 slot in 1/8 thick sheet....
unless you are holding the material pretty close
to the slot you are cutting, the resulting vibration (chatter) will likely
cause more damage to your end mill than the lack of
a coolant.

Good luck!

"Geoff Schultz" wrote in message
6...
I need to mill a slot in some 1/8" 316 stainless steel and was wondering
what
I should be using for a cutting fluid. I'm planning on using a 3/8"
cobalt
coated roughing end mill.

-- Geoff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Geoff Schultz

I milled the slot yesterday and it turned out fine. It was actually an 11"
long 5/8" wide slot in a 1.25" square tube. It wasn't quite like cutting
through butter, but it sure went smootly.

I ended up using "Ultra Lube" cutting fluid as I couldn't find any of the
products which were suggested here. It's very thick and seems to have doen
the job. Thanks for the suggestions.

-- Geoff

"Ace" wrote in news:hHHsf.201579$qk4.145189
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net: