Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
anorton anorton is offline

Default Alcohol as cutting fluid?

"anorton" wrote in message
m...
Recent posts on cutting fluids reminded me of this question. I once heard
that machining aluminum using alcohol produces a beautiful finish that
resists corrosion. In fact the rumor was that this is how the shiny solid
aluminum knobs on stereos are made.

Does anyone have any experience with this or know where to find info on
it?

-Adam Norton
(recent lurker, first-time poster here)

Thanks for all the responses.

I was mainly interested in the alleged claim that alcohol as a cutting fluid
will leave an aluminum surface resistant to corrosion. I am an optical
engineer and am always looking for manufacturing techniques that may be
useful for ultra-precise optical mounts and assemblies. There are times when
anodize is not an ideal surface finish for such things.

In any case it seems like if there is any truth to this rumor, it is not
common process. I may have to try the experiment myself.

-Adam Norton