Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default AW: Alcohol as cutting fluid?

On tue, 5 aug 2008 20:11:33 +0200, "e. w."
wrote:

trichloroethelene and carbon tetrachloride work well for
machining aluminum.

Hi
when I started metalwork in the 70s the apprentices job was to wash down

soot and oil from sections of profiles.There was a old oildrum in the
backyard with
a sheetmetal lid on, filled with trichloroethelene -"tri" it was called
and a common
thing to use. No fire hazard, and it can solve incredible amounts of
oil and
grease. It leaves the skin white and dry. Somehow everybody knew itīs
not the
proper way to do it, but it worked well. Iīm glad those days are gone!
What stopped the use was this interesting effect: put tri near the
bright light of
your welders arc, and it develops Phosgen.

It does that going through the gas fired oven in the lab. trailer,
makes a cigarette taste like ****, this effect lasts for about eight
hours - nearly enough to make you quit smoking! I'm probably lucky to
have survived. Also works great as a paint stripper.

Thatīs a WW1 chemical weapon
and you dont want it in your workshop. Many years later Tri got
restricted to heavily
monitored closed systhems for de-greasing in powdercoating etc
Saying the stuff works well sounds like advocating the use of mercury
in
silver-plating (or making hats)
mad as a hatter
ed wolf