Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Alcohol as cutting fluid?

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
I hesitate to post this, as there is some danger involved, not so
much to the machinist as to the people around him, but
trichloroethelene and carbon tetrachloride work well for
machining aluminum.

[snip]
Never the less, both liquids work very well as coolants on
aluminum, and are available in many areas in pint containers at
the hardware store.

Really? What areas would those be? I haven't seen trichloroethylene at
retail
sale for several years -- and I haven't seen carbon tet on a retail shelf
since some time in the 1970s. If you know of a place in the U.S. where
either
can be purchased retail *now*, I'd love to know about it.

I have a bottle of carbon tet under my workbench. I could be persuaded to
sell it...for a hefty price. d8-)

Tap Magic Original is 90% 1,1,1 trichloroethylene. There are several
trichloroethylenes, and I don't think it's the 1,1,1 that you can't buy.

--
Ed Huntress