Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source of compresed air

I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ommunications, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

The long term costs will mount, but I got along for years buying aerosol
"duster" cans. I bet you could get them cheap off of eBay, and a tiny
can goes a long way. Do a search on "duster can", and you'll get lots of
options. I'd stick with at least 10 oz cans (preferably larger).

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

We were discussing using a spare tire for an airbrush air supply here a week
or so ago, and I mentioned a little adaptor made for Badger airbrushes --
which I have. It works very well and it has a needle adjustment for flow
rate, but it doesn't allow enough flow to blow chips, IMO.

I use a cheap Sears oilless/tankless compressor for what you're looking for.
It's handy for inflating car tires, too, and I can even spray many paints
with it. It won't drive an air tool, though.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Check out the small cheap chinese home-workshop compressors. There are some
quite small units for blow off & airbrushing work - about the size of 3
stacked shoeboxes. You'd likely get something for $60.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 02:01:02 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

[...]

A big spare tire and the hose that comes with a Pontiac TransSport
with air assist shocks (to blow up tires with the suspension
compressor) would work fine. Blow the tire up to 50PSI at the service
station every couple of days, or get the kid busy with the foot pump.

I've even USED the foot pump to blow chips on occaision.
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can use your vacuum cleaner for small chips. It will work well,
better than a compressor. Blowing out chips with a compressor has too
many downsides.

They sell 1/3 HP compressors the size of a milk jug. See
harborfreight.com.

I personally will soon offer a compressor for sale, a duplex Quincy
compressor, 240 gallon tank. capable of 100 CFM if you upgrade the
motors to 15 HP each. It needs a little TLC, however.

On 2008-07-25, Michael Koblic wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:

I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Honestly, by the time you come up with the odds and ands, buy the
fittings to put them together, air hose, etc. you'll be close to, or
over the cost of a complete little compressor complete with accessories.

Try this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...000003+9 0401

Husky Husky 1.5 Gallon Air Scout Compressor

Model 41214

$99.99

Portable compressor perfect for use around the house. Comes with an
thirteen piece accessory kit.

1.5 Gallon Tank
135 Max PSI
Telescopic extension handle
Convenient storage behind front door
Compressor uses : N\A
MFG Brand Name : Husky
MFG Model # : 41214
MFG Part # : 41214
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:

I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

I have an old tire pump which I have fitted with an inflator needle (like you
blow up a football with) which I use exclusively for blowing chips out of
small holes I've tapped. Works great.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I have no idea who Summit tools is, but for sure they have no idea of what
they speak - there are kits made to adapt a spare tire as you say, and there
are kits made to use an old freon (or propane) cylinder. just get a can,
fill with air and add air hose. what could be simpler?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:51:10 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com...387&click=2744
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael,
I personally hate mickey mouse solutions. They are never economical. It is
however, a certain way to eventually fill your available space with junk.
Make the plunge, do it right the first time and save tons of money over the
long term. The Brits say "Penny wise and Pound foolish."
Steve

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael,
Cheap 12 Volt air compressor, $7.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4077
Cut the hose, insert tank made of PVC tubing, with an out going valve.
Charge the tank.
Put blow nozzle in end of hose (mine came with two), open valve.

Cheap, yes.
Effective maybe, depends on your needs.

Dave J

On Jul 24, 6:51 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

Any suggestions?

If all you want is to blow out chips, how about a fireplace bellows.
They work pretty well as I remember. they are not expensive either.

BobH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time.

Your standard blowgun uses 3 SCFM of air:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ai...ols-d_847.html

This'll give you minimal, anemic performance at 2.6 SCFM:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9569_200359569
Allow lots of time for repressurizing. But it's only U$90.00

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Michael

An oxygen regulator with a Nitrogen stem, a hose and gun from Home
Depot and a tank of dry water pumped nitrogen. Mount the tank
carefully so it will not fall over. Maybe $50.00 total. The nitrogen
is usually a rental item. Perhaps 20 to change it once a year.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:54:09 -0700 (PDT), Bob AZ
wrote:

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Michael

An oxygen regulator with a Nitrogen stem, a hose and gun from Home
Depot and a tank of dry water pumped nitrogen. Mount the tank
carefully so it will not fall over. Maybe $50.00 total. The nitrogen
is usually a rental item. Perhaps 20 to change it once a year.

Bob AZ

So far..Bob has come up with the best idea. Though CO2 in the 25lb
bottle (soda fountain sized) may be a better deal. Its liquid in the
bottle, so it lasts a **** load of time, and a refill is $12.

A simple regulator. Wont ice up unless you lay on the air gun for a
minute or so.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

I never use compressed air around my machines ,it will propel a chip at
100 miles per hour ,if it ricochettes and you get it the eye you will be
in trouble.
Also it will drive metal dust under the ways of a lathe or mill and
cause premature wear to the slides.

Years ago I worked with a guy who used to dust himself off with
compressed air .He ended up dropping dead from an air embolism in his
blood stream ,from air injected through a small cut on his arm.

I use a wet/dry shop vac , the hose does get a build up of oil inside ,
but I also do wood work and use it for saw dust as well. The saw dust
cleans the oil from the hose after a while ,or just disconnect and take
it out side and flog it with a wooden dowel,the oily saw dust just falls out

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ommunications, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

You can get a portable air tank for around twenty bucks at many auto parts or
hardware stores; I got mine at Sears. The inlet has the same Schrader valve as
is used on tires, which means you can refill the tank any place you can get
air for your tires. Air hoses, fittings, and tools are available at all of the
major home improvement stores, nearly all hardware stores, and some auto parts
places.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
ommunications,
"Michael Koblic" wrote:

I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

The cheapest compressed air tank is made from a discarded He tank used
for balloons at fairs, etc. The tank (usually in a cardboard box) is
also sold at WalMart and comes pressurized at 300 psi so it's safe to
recharge to 90 psi at an air pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 8:51 pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I use a rubber squeeze bulb. Works great. Cheap enough? $1.99
Make your own with a turkey baster.
-Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And for even more portable use there are ready made CO2 units that use
the small tanks like the ones used for paint ball guns. They include the
regulator a belt hanger hose and fittings. I have one that I use as an
emergency tire tank and to run various air tools. You don't want to run
something that takes a LOT of cfm for an extended period but for an
impact gun when your just breaking things loose it would be OK.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Life is not like a box of chocolates
it's more like a jar of jalapenos-
what you do today could burn your ass tomorrow!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Since they made us all switch to new "overfill protected" propane tanks a
year or so ago, there are LOTS of quite servicable propane tanks out there
you can get for free. They were originaly hydro-tested to 200PSIG working.
Trust me getting the original valve out can be a bitch, so you just might
want to leave it and work with it.

Your basic 5 gallon BBQ tank would take up less space than a tire.. and I'd
be comfortable with it filled to 100PSI...

--.- Dave

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mlcorson" wrote in message
I use a rubber squeeze bulb. Works great. Cheap enough? $1.99
Make your own with a turkey baster.

Now that's what I call cheap. I think I got one somewhere.
Or I could use my Airsoft Glock...:-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:31:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
ervecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

You could use the "out" from your shop vac?
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

We were discussing using a spare tire for an airbrush air supply here a week
or so ago, and I mentioned a little adaptor made for Badger airbrushes --
which I have. It works very well and it has a needle adjustment for flow
rate, but it doesn't allow enough flow to blow chips, IMO.

I use a cheap Sears oilless/tankless compressor for what you're looking for.
It's handy for inflating car tires, too, and I can even spray many paints
with it. It won't drive an air tool, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:
"mlcorson" wrote in message
I use a rubber squeeze bulb. Works great. Cheap enough? $1.99
Make your own with a turkey baster.

Now that's what I call cheap. I think I got one somewhere.
Or I could use my Airsoft Glock...:-)

Fireplace bellows?

cat farts?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...

Now that's what I call cheap. I think I got one somewhere.
Or I could use my Airsoft Glock...:-)

The bulb is hard to aim and does not have enough power to blow out the chips
which are stuck together with oil etc.

The Glock only gives a very short puff of gas. Also the Weaver stance is
kind of awkward...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about a can of 'computer cleaner' - 3M or MMM has 'Dust Remover' and
is is a can of compressed gas. With a plastic tube and trigger to pull.

12 oz can - like a can of paint. Computer stores, Sams, Walmart, etc.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Michael Koblic wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-25, Mechanical Magic wrote:
Michael,
Cheap 12 Volt air compressor, $7.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4077
Cut the hose, insert tank made of PVC tubing, with an out going valve.
Charge the tank.
Put blow nozzle in end of hose (mine came with two), open valve.

Cheap, yes.
Effective maybe, depends on your needs.

You left out "dangerous". PVC for compressed air use it known
to produce shrapnel from time to time -- mostly when you don't expect
it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:50:02 -0700, "Dave August"
wrote:

Since they made us all switch to new "overfill protected" propane tanks a
year or so ago, there are LOTS of quite servicable propane tanks out there
you can get for free. They were originaly hydro-tested to 200PSIG working.
Trust me getting the original valve out can be a bitch, so you just might
want to leave it and work with it.

I use an older style male (LH thread) fitting with whatever flow
restrictor removed, tee'd to a pressure gage and female quick connect.
For filling I use either two males with a valve between, or a male
joined with a schrader valve from a discarded pop in valve stem - they
clean up nicely with a wire wheel and silver solder into a 1/4" hole.
If you try to use the more modern (RH thread), the flow restrictor in
the tank valve will come into play. this flow restrictor is bypassed
with the older fitting.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:35:44 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
ervecommunications...

Now that's what I call cheap. I think I got one somewhere.
Or I could use my Airsoft Glock...:-)

The bulb is hard to aim and does not have enough power to blow out the chips
which are stuck together with oil etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4182
Much safer on the fingers and eyes. 3 dozen 1-inchers are only $5.99.

The Glock only gives a very short puff of gas. Also the Weaver stance is
kind of awkward...

I was taught the Modified Weaver stance. It should be better in the
confines of the machine shop.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:35:44 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
servecommunications...

Now that's what I call cheap. I think I got one somewhere.
Or I could use my Airsoft Glock...:-)

The bulb is hard to aim and does not have enough power to blow out the
chips
which are stuck together with oil etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4182
Much safer on the fingers and eyes. 3 dozen 1-inchers are only $5.99.

The Glock only gives a very short puff of gas. Also the Weaver stance is
kind of awkward...

I was taught the Modified Weaver stance. It should be better in the
confines of the machine shop.

That must be the Weaver stance modified by wearing a flak jacket and helmet,
to deal with the ricochets, eh? d8-)

Speaking of ricochets, I'm reading Richard Feldman's _Ricochet: Confessions
of a Gun Lobbyist_ right now. It's recommended reading for all NRA members.

Sheesh. I must have stood less than 5 feet from him at the anti-anti-AR
rally in Trenton a decade and a half ago. I wish I'd known who he was then.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:51:31 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 18:35:44 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
iservecommunications...

Now that's what I call cheap. I think I got one somewhere.
Or I could use my Airsoft Glock...:-)

The bulb is hard to aim and does not have enough power to blow out the
chips
which are stuck together with oil etc.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4182
Much safer on the fingers and eyes. 3 dozen 1-inchers are only $5.99.

The Glock only gives a very short puff of gas. Also the Weaver stance is
kind of awkward...

I was taught the Modified Weaver stance. It should be better in the
confines of the machine shop.

That must be the Weaver stance modified by wearing a flak jacket and helmet,
to deal with the ricochets, eh? d8-)

Look 19 lines above this and you'll see the reason ricochets may not
be a problem.

Speaking of ricochets, I'm reading Richard Feldman's _Ricochet: Confessions
of a Gun Lobbyist_ right now. It's recommended reading for all NRA members.

Sheesh. I must have stood less than 5 feet from him at the anti-anti-AR
rally in Trenton a decade and a half ago. I wish I'd known who he was then.

Can you give us a better idea of what is it about? I know how titles
can be misleading, _The Syntax of Sex_ being the best one I can think
of right now. (No, I haven't had a chance to even open the cover yet,
but plan on enjoying Crystal's _How Language Works_ fairly soon.)
Is he pro- or con-NRA?

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4182
Much safer on the fingers and eyes. 3 dozen 1-inchers are only $5.99.

I have brushes everywhere - big ones, small ones, tooth ones, microbrushes
and pipe cleaners. I manage 90% of the time except for small blind holes.
Unfortunately they are critical to clean up right - I have killed a thread
through unrecognized chip left behind.

The Glock only gives a very short puff of gas. Also the Weaver stance is
kind of awkward...

I was taught the Modified Weaver stance. It should be better in the
confines of the machine shop.

I think I shall stick to my old practice - discharge once, fix bayonet and
charge. Or form a square in preparation to receive cavalry...
Won't get rid of the chips, though. Also it is rather disturbing to see
co-workers screaming "Gun!" and diving for cover everytime I want to clean
up. Just because that one time when it was not the Airsoft variety...:-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:51:31 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

snip

Speaking of ricochets, I'm reading Richard Feldman's _Ricochet:
Confessions
of a Gun Lobbyist_ right now. It's recommended reading for all NRA
members.

Sheesh. I must have stood less than 5 feet from him at the anti-anti-AR
rally in Trenton a decade and a half ago. I wish I'd known who he was
then.

Can you give us a better idea of what is it about? I know how titles
can be misleading, _The Syntax of Sex_ being the best one I can think
of right now. (No, I haven't had a chance to even open the cover yet,
but plan on enjoying Crystal's _How Language Works_ fairly soon.)
Is he pro- or con-NRA?

Here, read an excerpt and decide. This actually is the first chapter:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16324652

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:11:49 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4182
Much safer on the fingers and eyes. 3 dozen 1-inchers are only $5.99.

I have brushes everywhere - big ones, small ones, tooth ones, microbrushes
and pipe cleaners. I manage 90% of the time except for small blind holes.
Unfortunately they are critical to clean up right - I have killed a thread
through unrecognized chip left behind.

BTDT and I grok that in its entirety.

The Glock only gives a very short puff of gas. Also the Weaver stance is
kind of awkward...

I was taught the Modified Weaver stance. It should be better in the
confines of the machine shop.

I think I shall stick to my old practice - discharge once, fix bayonet and
charge. Or form a square in preparation to receive cavalry...
Won't get rid of the chips, though. Also it is rather disturbing to see
co-workers screaming "Gun!" and diving for cover everytime I want to clean
up. Just because that one time when it was not the Airsoft variety...:-)

Yeah; Details, details...

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:25:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

[...]

Oh, I think I had read that excerpt before, probably on Amazon.
Is the rest of the book as tense as the first chapter?

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:25:27 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm only up to around page 100, but, so far, it slows down after the first
chapter and now it seems to be building up again. Which stands to reason,
because that's the way books like this are written.

It's interesting to me partly because I knew, and worked with to a limited
extent, some of the people he talks about. He was the NRA liason for NJ when
I was involved with the fight over our assault-rifle ban. The people he
talks about were the guys running the show here in NJ.

Where I am in the book now is where he describes what happened with Bernie
Goetz and Roy Innis in New York. Fascinating stuff.

--
Ed Huntress