Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Source of compresed air

Michael Koblic wrote:
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc from
time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to which some
sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and an
air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

I never use compressed air around my machines ,it will propel a chip at
100 miles per hour ,if it ricochettes and you get it the eye you will be
in trouble.
Also it will drive metal dust under the ways of a lathe or mill and
cause premature wear to the slides.

Years ago I worked with a guy who used to dust himself off with
compressed air .He ended up dropping dead from an air embolism in his
blood stream ,from air injected through a small cut on his arm.

I use a wet/dry shop vac , the hose does get a build up of oil inside ,
but I also do wood work and use it for saw dust as well. The saw dust
cleans the oil from the hose after a while ,or just disconnect and take
it out side and flog it with a wooden dowel,the oily saw dust just falls out

--
Kevin (Bluey)