Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source of compresed air

OK, thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions.
After dancing around a bit, trying out some solutions which failed, I am now
a proud owner of an Iron Horse IHHD 2518L compressor (4.1 cfm at 90 psi, 3.2
gal tank, made in Middle Kingdom). It was on sale at local Lordco and House
of Tools for $119. It comes with a hose and a bunch of shiny things to
connect this to that. As you can see I have never been near a working
compressor.

Herein lies a bit of a problem as the instructions are, let's say, sparse.
And conflicting when you look them up on the net. Referring to parts and
switches that are not clearly identified and identified to by different
names in the plan etc. I know I should be a man about it and ignore the
instructions (as I did with my recent purchase of Remington 870 - turned out
fine) but it is a tad disconcerting.

I have put off the trial run till tomorrow.

Any comments on this particular piece of equipment are welcome.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
rvecommunications...
I find the need for a small jet of compressed air to blow out chips etc
from time to time. I am thus looking for a source of compressed air to
which some sort of air gun can be attached. It has to satisfy three
requirements:
1) It has to be cheap,
2) It has to take up little or no space,
3) It has to be cheap,

I heard some people simply use a spare car tire. I asked at Summit tools
(who carry all kinds of air stuff) if it is feasible to attach a hose and
an air gun to a tire, they did not think so. I really do not want/need a
full-sized compressor. A compresed air bottle seems a bit of an overkill.

Any suggestions?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:41:47 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=16324652

and I asked:
Oh, I think I had read that excerpt before, probably on Amazon.
Is the rest of the book as tense as the first chapter?

I'm only up to around page 100, but, so far, it slows down after the first
chapter and now it seems to be building up again. Which stands to reason,
because that's the way books like this are written.

It's interesting to me partly because I knew, and worked with to a limited
extent, some of the people he talks about. He was the NRA liason for NJ when
I was involved with the fight over our assault-rifle ban. The people he
talks about were the guys running the show here in NJ.

Where I am in the book now is where he describes what happened with Bernie
Goetz and Roy Innis in New York. Fascinating stuff.

Too bad it's not released onto www.gutenberg.org yet.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

That takes 75 years after the author is dead. Hang in there. g

I have an editor's review copy, which I have for a reason, or I'd send it to
you when I'm done. I may or may not do anything with it. I've been talking
to Feldman. Just remind me in a week or so and I'll let you know if I need
to hang on to it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I went through buying a cheap compressor like that. Hated every second
of owning one. Loud and not enough air. My own opinion is that you
will regret anything below 5 [real, not overstated] horsepower. That
may last you a lifetime.

On 2008-08-01, Michael Koblic wrote:
[...]

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:54:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It takes great patience to be as cheap a SOB as I am, Ed.

I have an editor's review copy, which I have for a reason, or I'd send it to
you when I'm done. I may or may not do anything with it. I've been talking
to Feldman. Just remind me in a week or so and I'll let you know if I need
to hang on to it.

Excellent. Will do. My non-fiction stack of must-read books is down
to under 3' tall now. I can see my dresser again. (Time for more
bookshelves and to sell my old books. I'm up to about 300 to go.)

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)