Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Source of compresed air

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:50:02 -0700, "Dave August"
wrote:

Since they made us all switch to new "overfill protected" propane tanks a
year or so ago, there are LOTS of quite servicable propane tanks out there
you can get for free. They were originaly hydro-tested to 200PSIG working.
Trust me getting the original valve out can be a bitch, so you just might
want to leave it and work with it.

I use an older style male (LH thread) fitting with whatever flow
restrictor removed, tee'd to a pressure gage and female quick connect.
For filling I use either two males with a valve between, or a male
joined with a schrader valve from a discarded pop in valve stem - they
clean up nicely with a wire wheel and silver solder into a 1/4" hole.
If you try to use the more modern (RH thread), the flow restrictor in
the tank valve will come into play. this flow restrictor is bypassed
with the older fitting.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada