Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Unique Need for Torx/Star bits.

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how to
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jusme wrote:

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how to
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

Can supply 4340 @ $40 per foot inclusive of HT, minimum order 200 lineal feet.

Leon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the offer, Leon. I am prototyping something that MAY go on a
very, very limited market so, I can't afford that.

Can anyone tell me how to make it myself?
I have lathe, mill, BIG shaper, etc.

j/b

"Leon" wrote in message
jusme wrote:

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how
to make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

Can supply 4340 @ $40 per foot inclusive of HT, minimum order 200 lineal
feet.

Leon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote in message

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how to
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

Before I go to a lot of trouble, a few questions.

Do you have an indexing head?
Cutter grinder?

What tolerances do you require?
Material?

What stresses will be applied?
Any other specifications that need to be met?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:10:16 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Doesn't anyone have any information on how to make such an item? Is it so
obvious that I am overlooking it?

Thanks

j/b

Wellll...first thing you need is a nice 150 ton cold header or 50 ton
hot header.......
400 amps of 480 3ph
Inductive heater
Argon atmosphere heat treating oven

Just for a start of course.

On the other hand..a decent horizontal milling machine and the proper
cutter, with a good dividing head would do the job. But you would
still need the argon heat treating oven.

But you could do it with less power

Now a furnace and an extruder...not sure what that would require...

Gunner

"jusme" wrote in message
Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how to
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

MM,

I have an indexing head and a bench grinder.

I can't answer the rest. HOWSUMEVER, I think I have just thought of an
answer to my problem. I was trying to roll my own to save money but in
reality, I can buy the pieces but there will be a waste.

Just as a learning experience, can you just give me an idea of what you have
in mind WITHOUT going to a lot of trouble?

Thanks for your response below.

j/b

"jusme" wrote in message

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional
3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

Before I go to a lot of trouble, a few questions.

Do you have an indexing head?
Cutter grinder?

What tolerances do you require?
Material?

What stresses will be applied?
Any other specifications that need to be met?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner,

I just replied to MM that I had found another way.

Just as a learning exercise, why couldn't one chuck up a thin cutter in a
vert. mill, and cut a slot length-wise, index the stock and do the same
until all sides finished?

That must be fraught with Murphies but I have to ask to learn or try it to
learn.

Thanks for enlightening me on how hard it is.

j/b

"jusme" wrote in message
Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:54:01 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional
3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how
make it?

Do you really need a Torx profile? What about pinion wire?
http://www.bostongear.com/products/open/pinion.html#

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

j/b,
First, a Torx head is composed of two radiuses.
I'll call one the Root, and for a T10, that's about .020" radius.
The other is the Tip, and I don't know what that radius is, but for
argument lets say its the same as the Root.
There is no flat surface anywhere, it's a blended radius, from one to
the other. Also called a hexalobular.

If you use a slot cutter, and make straight edges, there will be very
high stresses at the Tip of your part, which will be resting on the
radiused section of the female receiver. Unless you use hardened
tool steel, it will deform, or wear very fast.

You could have a cutter made, but to find the exact shape you need to
buy a copy of ISO 10664, that provides the proper dimensions. (~$150)

Dave

On Dec 28, 1:59 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Gunner,

I just replied to MM that I had found another way.

Just as a learning exercise, why couldn't one chuck up a thin cutter in a
vert. mill, and cut a slot length-wise, index the stock and do the same
until all sides finished?

That must be fraught with Murphies but I have to ask to learn or try it to
learn.

Thanks for enlightening me on how hard it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:59:25 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Gunner,

I just replied to MM that I had found another way.

Just as a learning exercise, why couldn't one chuck up a thin cutter in a
vert. mill, and cut a slot length-wise, index the stock and do the same
until all sides finished?

Indeed you can. However you asked for the specific profile of a Torx
#10 spline.

Now if you were simply needing some sort of splined shaft to turn
something, a piece of hex stock works nicely, as does a simple square
bar. Its easier to make the mate with square stock.

It all depends on your torque loading and length.

Or if you simply need a really long Torx #10 screw
driver..braze/silver solder/Tig a bit on the end of a shaft.

That must be fraught with Murphies but I have to ask to learn or try it to
learn.

Thanks for enlightening me on how hard it is.

Its quite easy..if you have the right tools G

j/b
.. .

"jusme" wrote in message
Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

for torturing the cat." Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned, that is an excellent idea, especially their stem pinions. Now, if the
d.p. is compatible with the size Torx bit and the price is right, it may be
a winner.

Thank you much.

j/b

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:54:01 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional
3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on
how
make it?

Do you really need a Torx profile? What about pinion wire?
http://www.bostongear.com/products/open/pinion.html#

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I understand, Dave - I think.

Well, if it would last to turn 10 screws, that would be great.

Thanks for the info.

Could one 'dress' a cutter to yield 'blended' radii?

On Dec 28, 1:59 pm, "jusme" wrote:
Gunner,

I just replied to MM that I had found another way.

Just as a learning exercise, why couldn't one chuck up a thin cutter in a
vert. mill, and cut a slot length-wise, index the stock and do the same
until all sides finished?

That must be fraught with Murphies but I have to ask to learn or try it
learn.

Thanks for enlightening me on how hard it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner,

I only need to turn some Torx head screws. I need to turn ten of the screws
per each tool.

Maybe, I can use hexagonal or square stock, as you suggest.

Every suggestion gets me to thinking and I learn that way.

Thanks for the food for thought.

j/b

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:59:25 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

Gunner,

I just replied to MM that I had found another way.

Just as a learning exercise, why couldn't one chuck up a thin cutter in a
vert. mill, and cut a slot length-wise, index the stock and do the same
until all sides finished?

Indeed you can. However you asked for the specific profile of a Torx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:01:35 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Gunner,

I only need to turn some Torx head screws. I need to turn ten of the screws
per each tool.

Maybe, I can use hexagonal or square stock, as you suggest.

Every suggestion gets me to thinking and I learn that way.

Thanks for the food for thought.

j/b

How about buying some standard length Torx bits and
solder/braze/welding them to extensions the length you need?

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

3/8" steel rod as long as needed.
Drill for a cross pin, like a "T" handle. Insert cross pin, epoxy, or
use a spring pin.
Drill other end 1/4" then 17/64" about 3/4" deep. Then 9/32" about
1/4" deep, this is to align for the following.

In a scrap block, drill 3/16" hole. Insert T10 bit in hole. (The
kind that's about 1" long overall, meant to fit in a hex holder.)

Place rod from above over the hex, and "cold form" the hex into the
end of the rod. (Hit it with a hammer.)
Dave

On Dec 28, 5:06 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:01:35 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Gunner,

I only need to turn some Torx head screws. I need to turn ten of the screws
per each tool.

Maybe, I can use hexagonal or square stock, as you suggest.

Every suggestion gets me to thinking and I learn that way.

Thanks for the food for thought.

j/b

How about buying some standard length Torx bits and
solder/braze/welding them to extensions the length you need?

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jusme wrote:
Gunner,

I only need to turn some Torx head screws. I need to turn ten of the screws
per each tool.

Maybe, I can use hexagonal or square stock, as you suggest.

Every suggestion gets me to thinking and I learn that way.

Thanks for the food for thought.

j/b

You can buy a Torx bit & socket with a 1/4" or 3/8" drive and use as
many extensions as you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, Ralph, I know this.

However, the applications that I have in mind will be proprietary and that
is why I cannot give all of the details.

What I really needed before others gave me some different options is simply
a long, long rod such as a T-10 Torx bit. Then, I could saw the lengths of
bit that I need.
I cannot use anything long.

I thank you for your reply.

j/b

"Ralph Henrichs" wrote in message
news

jusme wrote:
Gunner,

I only need to turn some Torx head screws. I need to turn ten of the
screws per each tool.

Maybe, I can use hexagonal or square stock, as you suggest.

Every suggestion gets me to thinking and I learn that way.

Thanks for the food for thought.

j/b

You can buy a Torx bit & socket with a 1/4" or 3/8" drive and use as many
extensions as you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-29, jusme wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:54:01 -0600, "jusme" wrote:

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional
3/8"
down the length.

[ ... ]

Do you really need a Torx profile? What about pinion wire?
http://www.bostongear.com/products/open/pinion.html#

Ned, that is an excellent idea, especially their stem pinions. Now, if the
d.p. is compatible with the size Torx bit and the price is right, it may be
a winner.

You don't need the whole length splined do you? I would suggest
that you cut the pinion wire and mount it in a fairly tough 1/4" hex
stock. (There are 6" long hex stock with Torx on one end and the detent
ring on the other end to give a bit more length. And -- there are 1/4"
hex extensions of perhaps eight or nine inches with about a 1/2"
diameter socket at the end. If that 1/2" diameter is not too big, you
could simply plug several of these in series for a test setup at least.
Then recover the socket from the end of these and put it on the longer
hex stock (again if the 1/2" diameter of the socket is not a killer).
Or, get a bunch of the 6" long torx bits and silver-solder them to
longer hex stock.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don, good ideas, all. But, my need is for short Torx bits hence the need
for long Torx stock so that I could saw them for the length I need.

Thanks.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:24:12 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Larry, that was the epiphany that I had earlier. I was just trying to save
money instead of buying 50 to 100 bits. I don't need to extend them, I need
to saw them off.

You should be able to get them for a song in that quantity.

Why not give McMasters a call and tell them what you need? They might
be able to contact the forge who does their bits and can give you
precisely what you want for cheap.

Here are T25 bits, 50 for $15.73 http://tinyurl.com/3dr846

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.
--e e cummings
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Excellent, Larry. They also have T-10s in quantity.

Thank you!

This group is great.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote:

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how to
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

If I understand correctly, you are trying to make extended length torx bits.
If so, just buy some common bits and silver braze to some rod. I drove a
bunch of 5" wood screws a few years ago using a bit I extended that way. The
braze held just fine.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wrong, Wes.

I wanted to make one extremely long Torx bit so that I could saw it into the
lengths that I need.

Thank you for trying to help.

j/b

"Wes" wrote in message
"jusme" wrote:

Hi, members.

I need ~T-10 Torx bit material that runs more than the conventional 3/8"
down the length.

I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths. I can't seem to find this
anywhere. If it doesn't exist, does anyone have any suggestions on how to
make it?

I may need 50 pieces at a time.

Thanks

j/b

If I understand correctly, you are trying to make extended length torx
bits.
If so, just buy some common bits and silver braze to some rod. I drove a
bunch of 5" wood screws a few years ago using a bit I extended that way.
The
braze held just fine.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jusme wrote:
Wrong, Wes.

I wanted to make one extremely long Torx bit so that I could saw it into the
lengths that I need.

Thank you for trying to help.

j/b

Then, not to put it too succinctly, you might be far better off asking
for lengths that you need, rather than a length that is not available,
that you intend to cut off anyway.

Almost every Torx tip I have seen was built onto the end of otherwise
plain rod. Either forged or machined. Dead easy to stick a cut off Torx
key onto the end of a rod.

Better to state your actual needs, rather than ask for something that
like as not, does not readily exist.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-29, jusme wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

[ ... ]

How about buying some standard length Torx bits and
solder/braze/welding them to extensions the length you need?

[ ... ]

Larry, that was the epiphany that I had earlier. I was just trying to save
money instead of buying 50 to 100 bits. I don't need to extend them, I need
to saw them off.

Oh! You're expecting it to have the Torx profile the whole
length. Typically -- the Torx profile only extends 1/4 inch or so for
the larger ones, and less for the smaller ones. It then fairly quickly
fans out to a full 1/4" hex.

The reason for this is that if you kept it at that tiny diameter
for any significant length, the shaft would wind up -- limiting the
torque which can be applied to the screw. You would not like the
results.

This is why there were suggestions to take the pinion wire (if
it turned out to have the right profile) and mount short lengths of it
in larger diameter stock.

Instead -- why not check whether you can get the bits in gross
packaging from someplace like MSC -- the price can drop significantly
with quantity purchasing.

For that matter -- you can get them in the same format as the
Allen wrenchs (L shape) and those may well be the least expensive format
in gross packages.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Don.

j/b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jusme wrote:
Trevor, had you read my first post on this issue, you would not have made
your post.

j/b

I read the first post. And the subsequent ones. It said you wanted 2-3
foot lenths of Torx bit. Something that is not readilly available,
because it is not used for shafting.

Then you said, and this is a copy and paste from your post...

"But, my need is for short Torx bits hence the need
for long Torx stock so that I could saw them for the length I need."

And also..

"I only need to turn some Torx head screws. I need to turn ten of the
screws per each tool."

How long do you need? Overall? This is the issue I had with the whole
deal. If you actually out and say what you need in the end, you are far
more likely to get useable answers. Thus, my comment.

Someone quoted you a resonable price for the stuff that YOU asked for,
considering. Considering especially, that you have no idea how to make
it, nor much of an idea of the likelihood of success in the endeavor.

Then you said that you needed it to be used as a Torx wrench. The
implication of this, to me, is that you are using it to turn a Torx head
screw. Correct, or no?
You need it to reach down a deep hole.

How deep?

Ask the correct questions, and get useful answers!

If you need a long reach Torx driver, they are cheap. If you need a 2
to 3 foot length of Torx profile shafting, they are an expensive custon
made item, not cheap.

So. Clear enough?

You have been beating around the bush, trying to reach an end, by
coming up with stuff that has to be custom made, in order to make some
cheapass short-term use, throwaway tools that you could likely as not
buy in pound boxes. If you would ante up with just a wee bit of useful
information, like, for instance, how deep a hole do you have to drive
the screw at the bottom of, you would very likely not only get an
answer, but likely 3 or 4 links to varoius products available.

That's how I am seeing this, in any case.

So. Y'all gonna ante up with some specifics, or just continue
blundering around the hard way?

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Trevor,

Are you having a bad day?

I said that I need two to three OR MORE FEET.

There is no specific length that I need other that what I specified above
this sentence. Make it 8 feet then, as is implied in "OR MORE".

You ASSume much without the benefit of fact, only guesses. I do not need to
reach down a deep hole.

Again, if you had REALLY read all of the posts, you would have discovered
that I didn't need a "long-reach" Torx bit. I said what I needed in the
very first post.

Also, I asked if anyone could give me some ideas on how to make such an
item/s. I got many great responses and ideas.
I DID NOT ask for a quote, as you seem to think.

Close to your last paragraph where you say that I am wanting some cheap-ass
tool, you again ASSume that I am trying to drive a screw in a deep hole.
Wrong yet again.

And no, I am not at liberty to give anymore information, as I stated, which
you would have known had you read the entire thread as you claim that you
did, when I said it is somewhat proprietary.

So, Trevor, rather than "around" and make ASSumptions, why not REALLY read
the entire thread before you 'go off'.

j/b

Oh, and it is not 'we', only me - another ASSumption on your part.

Flame away if you so choose but it is better to simply drop the issue
jusme wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:22:07 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"jusme" quickly quoth:

Trevor,

Are you having a bad day?

I said that I need two to three OR MORE FEET.

Joe, suffice it to say that half a dozen of us thought you wanted long
sections of torx profile arn. That's why you got our replies talking
about such. Next time you'll write more clearly, right?

---
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.
This is the ultimate.
--Chuang-tzu (369 BC - 286 BC)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jusme wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that j/b, it pretty much leaves me feeling vindicated.
My conclusion is that you are just another nutbar inventor, too
brainlocked on a complicated way of getting to an end, to see that there
is a cheap and simple method to reach it.
So far, of all the guys I have dealt with that were inventing stuff,
you appear to be helping keep my experiences with inventors consistant,
anyways.
Any one of them would give the average machine shop operator shivers,
if they tried to become customers.
Headache. Capital H.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:22:07 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking,
"jusme" wrote,
Trevor,

Are you having a bad day?

I said that I need two to three OR MORE FEET.

There is no specific length that I need other that what I specified above
this sentence. Make it 8 feet then, as is implied in "OR MORE".

WRONG. You wrote "I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths."

"Lengths" means you need pieces that length. Which was a lie!
Now we find out you need many short driver bits (easy) and not
long shaft-like pieces (hard or nonexistent.) Face it, you screwed
up, you asked for what you didn't need and didn't say what you
needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeez,

Are a few of you on medications? If not, perhaps they are in order.

If these very few can't decipher plain English and make asinine ASSumptions,
then, learn to comprehend what you read.

"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind". Will. S.

j/b

"David Harmon" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:22:07 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking,
"jusme" wrote,
Trevor,

Are you having a bad day?

I said that I need two to three OR MORE FEET.

There is no specific length that I need other that what I specified above
this sentence. Make it 8 feet then, as is implied in "OR MORE".

WRONG. You wrote "I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths."

"Lengths" means you need pieces that length. Which was a lie!
Now we find out you need many short driver bits (easy) and not
long shaft-like pieces (hard or nonexistent.) Face it, you screwed
up, you asked for what you didn't need and didn't say what you
needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You know, David, if you really feel that way, I am going to go to bed
tonight and cry myself to sleep.

I do not wish to upset your very delicate balance but, I did say exactly
what I wanted and asked about how to produce such.

Many fine members here gave me some great suggestions and just reading them
spurred me to think of other options.

I find the world fascinating and particularly the Internet where one meets
all KINDS.

j/b

"David Harmon" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:22:07 -0600 in rec.crafts.metalworking,
"jusme" wrote,
Trevor,

Are you having a bad day?

I said that I need two to three OR MORE FEET.

There is no specific length that I need other that what I specified above
this sentence. Make it 8 feet then, as is implied in "OR MORE".

WRONG. You wrote "I really need 2 or 3 feet or more lengths."

"Lengths" means you need pieces that length. Which was a lie!
Now we find out you need many short driver bits (easy) and not
long shaft-like pieces (hard or nonexistent.) Face it, you screwed
up, you asked for what you didn't need and didn't say what you
needed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:56:38 -0600, jusme wrote:
Jeez,

Are a few of you on medications? If not, perhaps they are in order.

Just so you know, implying that those who respond to you are mentally
ill is rarely a way to encourage more people to try to help you.

If these very few can't decipher plain English and make asinine ASSumptions,
then, learn to comprehend what you read.

plonk